Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phobus

Doom II: 25 Years on Earth - 32-map limit-removing old-school megaWAD - One Year Late Edition Released! Now on /idgames

Just played through the 6 map demo, and had an absolute blast! I loved the pace, and it was never too difficult but always kept me on my toes (the AV in map16 gave me a good jump!). There's some great ideas here, and I had a lot of fun. The raising platform in MAP20 was a really neat idea. My only real criticism is... I could probably do without the seizure/headache inducing strobe light in MAP23... that may just be a personal preference thing, though.

I'm really glad to see you've kept working at this, and the fact that you've almost completed an entire megawad is very exciting! Definitely looking forward to the full release. The demo had me hungry for more!

Oh and... big thumbs up for the music selection. The tracks generally added a wonderful tone to each map, and I'm a huge sucker for anything to do with In Flames. Had to go listen to Pinball Map after playing this. :P 

Thanks for bumping and letting me know how you got on, RonnieJamesDiner! You'll be glad to know that most of the lighting effects in the rest of the maps are purely cosmetic - that's the only map with major functional lighting as far as I remember it. Sounds like you'll be even happier to hear there's plenty more In Flames in the sound track. Three more maps to make and you'll have the whole thing to play - I'll try not to let this fall by the wayside again!

Edited by Phobus

How on earth did I miss this? Screenies look awesome, but I'll hold off until you release the complete mapset :)

Just bumping this to say MAP13 and 14 are sorted. Now I've just got two maps to make and a couple of game play checks to do. I may have this out within the next month or so, at this rate.

1 hour ago, Phobus said:

Just bumping this to say MAP13 and 14 are sorted. Now I've just got two maps to make and a couple of game play checks to do. I may have this out within the next month or so, at this rate.

Awesome! Very excited to see it all when you've finished. Good luck, man!

MAP17: Entrance Made is now complete. One more map to make, two still to tweak, and three more line actions to go! I'm aiming to have this done soon! It's been long enough, I think...

vEeeyYP.jpg

I'd like it to be known that the fight in this room (on UV) is a right fucker.

A bump to let you know MAP18 has been built. It's pretty big, for a 25yoe map, so it took a while, but it's done, tested and compiled. I've got a little tweaking to do with MAP19 and then I'll be doing some final tests and balances before releasing tomorrow at some point. Probably within the next 13 hours or so! Thank you all for your patience.

Congratulations for the release!

The wad looks very promising, I'll try it out!

Ooh I gotta play this! Congrats on the release dude. Using every line/sector action is a cool limitation (or anti-limitation?), though watch out: I know who I’m gonna turn to next time I’m trying to get a donut special or 30 second door or whatever to work ;)

On map 2, if you press the switch that raises the stairs around the bk pillar for the second time, it will raise the pillar itself. Is that a bug? Playing on Zdoom 2.8.1

@Firedust - I think the switch is only capable of being pressed once, but there's a walkover line in front of it that raises the blue key pillar up again. If you go to leave the room and turn around, the pillar will lower again every time. This is intended behaviour, so you're more likely to find the secret in the room.

Thanks everybody else for the support!

Spent ages figuring out how to get the much-coveted ssg secret on map 4 but to no avail... 

These are really some nice maps, dude! Nothing too challenging so far, and very reminiscent of classic gameplay. Ammo is a tad tight on UV though. I'm playing continuous and I'm still struggling as I constantly run out of shells and rockets (this mainly applies to map 6, that final encounter made me audibly gasp lol)

What I did really appreciate is the health bonuses that you've placed in map 6 - it would've taken me ages to figure out where to go without them.

That's an exquisite wad you have right here, but I have a question about MAP15. You put a death-ending in it but the very next map immediatly gives you a Mega Sphere. Doesn't that kinda defeat the point (you even get to keep your weapons)?

@Firedust I was so concerned about people not guessing at that method of progression that I made the first demo a play through of MAP06. Of course, if you're in a Z-port you'd not see that!

@Rince-wind Thank you! It's not a death exit - more of a "bad exit" and an excuse to use the damaging exit sector type (some of the actions really require an excuse, unfortunately!) - the secret exit is also a "good exit".

Thanks to Ronnie and DoomDork as well - I hope you have a good time with it!

Edited by Phobus : Stupid phone typos...

Here's the playthrough from map 2 to 6. Unfortunately I didn't record map 1 because I only noticed I wasn't recording after finishing it >.<

The video should be available soon.

So far, the wad has been pretty fun. The action is fast paced and chaingunning through the several low tier enemies is really fun. Progression has been hard to follow sometimes, making me get lost sometimes, which could be a problem for other players that are worse in that aspect, but so far it wasn't much of a problem for me.

Here's a map to map comment:

1:

- The initial area is pretty nice, although I'm not really a fan of the invisible walls.

- Early berserk definitely makes things fun to kill the Imps and Demons :D

- Wasn't a big fan of the house and the furniture either, but it is a fast section.

- I died once in the final section of the map lol which was quite surprising.

6/10

2:

- A really big improvement from the previous map regarding detailing. This time a more regular techbase but with nice circular rooms and shapes.

- Got lost after I grabbed the RK for some reason I don't know >.<

- The Hell Knights are a bit too bulk, although one got me really bad in my death in this map haha In other hand, they aren't mandatory to kill so its a +.

- Lots of low tier fast-paced fighting, loved it!

8/10

3:

- My favorite so far from the set. The progression in the inner house was really classy and IWADish.

- Nice early Arachnotron reveal too.

9/10

4:

- Wasn't a big fan of the first area of the map (before getting the keys). The dark was a cool nice concept, but the house + furniture was a bit too squarish + 128 tall + doors for my taste. The two areas after you get the keys were pretty fun, though.

7/10

5:

- Largest map so far, loved the "non playable" vistas with the buildings and roads.

- Fighting here was really cool, although I felt this level could have a RL or a SS to help killing the higher-ties enemies faster.

- The water drop section was a bit weird, although gameplay wise the mancubus trap was great.

8/10

6:
- And heres's the SS :D

- Nice level with some cool surprises, especially with the Arch towards the end.

- Took me a while to realize how to get into the last section.

8.5/10

Thanks for the video and feedback @Deadwing! It was good to watch you working things out as you went. The major secrets after MAP01 seem to have kept their contents from you - there's a lot of early access weapons there that would've given you what you were after!

I'm surprised you got the shoot switch in MAP04 but didn't get the secret afterwards, but otherwise it looks like the puzzles were taking a bit of old-school lateral thinking, rather than being obtuse.

I'm just up to the secret map and I just wanna say -- fantastic set so far! Didn't get a chance to play any more today but super keen to beat this bad boy while I'm on holidays next week, this is my favourite wad of the year (*that I didn't contribute to) so far.

Thanks @dmdr - that's high praise indeed! Hopefully you've played plenty of WADs this year... ;)

Congratulations on working out the secret exit in MAP15 - you'll need to be quick to achieve the same on MAP31.

Not bad looking as I blast through the first handful of levels.

But please, do everyone a favor and get rid of the classic rock music tracks and any other copyrighted music adorning this .wad - it does not translate nearly as well to the Doom format as one may think. That and I'm sure Youtube/Twitch will not appreciate streaming attempts / casual playthroughs of this .wad file.

Edited by Traysandor

Thanks for playing, @Traysandor - I won't be changing the music, however. These MIDIs are freely available and aren't copyrighted, do there's no legal issue with using them.

As for how well they fit, that's a taste issue that, so far, only you've expressed unhappiness with. You can pair this mapset with a music mod such as Jimmy's Jukebox, if there's music you'd rather be hearing!

13 hours ago, Traysandor said:

But please, do everyone a favor and get rid of the classic rock music tracks and any other copyrighted music adorning this .wad - it does not translate nearly as well to the Doom format as one may think.

You can open the WAD in SLADE3 and delete all Audio entries starting with D_. That will restore the default Doom 2 soundtrack. Or, you can load a music WAD of your choice after Phobus' WAD.

14 hours ago, Traysandor said:

copyrighted music 
Doom format
Youtube/Twitch will not appreciate

Man, honestly, are you kidding?