Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pierrot

Subverted - First map (Limit Removing) [/idgames]

Very neat level. The texturing and architecture style is extremely Plutonia, in fact much more so than most of the levels in Plutonia 2. It has those exact kinds of highly symmetrical, neatly designed rooms, smartly connected. I agree with ribbiks about the difficulty though, it felt really uncanny running around a level that looked and felt just like a Plutonia map but with a quarter of the difficulty. My brain kept telling me to prepare for the inevitable 20 chaingunner death wall opening behind me, but it never came.

Health and ammo balance felt just right, I always had enough to fight without ever feeling that I was getting too overpowered. Progression was great, I don't think I had to look at the map for more than one or two seconds and my sense of direction is borderline special needs so that's an achievement. No bugs or weird behaviour to speak of.

Looking forward to future maps!

Thank you @Ribbiks and @BoxY for the feedbacks!

Ribbiks, appreciated watching your fda. Nice run, you sure managed to pass it without apparent difficulty!

BoxY, you get it, I like the visuals of Plutonia:) Thanks for your observations!

Regarding the difficulty, I must say I wasn't planning to reproduce the gameplay of Plutonia more than working on the architecture and feeling of the map.
I tried to put interesting encounters but I conceive it's still a bit casual in UV. I will consider it more in future maps for sure, especially if it's for Plutonia again. Sure it would be a great achievement for me to master the style of the iwad!

Again thanks, really appreciated your comments!

Very solid level with some nice looking detail and a good job on the lighting. The gameplay felt closer to KDitD with lots of shotgun action against low-tiers.

Here's  my fda, recorded on prboom+ with cl4: subverted_gaspefda.zip

Really enjoyed playing this map. It definitely had the Plutonia vibe going for it but it wasn't nearly as punishing or cheap with the chain gunners. Solid encounters, a few good surprises, and really good progression. Really nothing bad to say about it. I didn't find all the secrets, unfortunately. I'll have to play through again and see if I can get the rest of them. 

Really looking forward to more. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you @gaspe and @kknot5889 for your FDAs, always nice to see diferent approachs.

I enjoyed your commented run, kknot5889, many thanks for it! Don't blame me if I laughed each time you were in trouble but it was very satisfying seeing my traps such effective :)

@Pierrot Glad you enjoyed the video. The traps were very effective and I can't blame you for laughing. I am very easily startled, if that bit with the Archvile didn't tip you off. 

It was a really good map. Can't wait to see what else you come up with. Are you going to continue with the Plutonia theme for a bit?

Thanks again @kknot5889, and yeah I would love to stick some time to the Plutonia theme as it features my favorite aesthetics among the iwads.

I will work more on the difficulty aspect next time so expect more chaingunners!

Yeah I played this and the (3D) shapes of the areas are pretty cool. Combined with the competent use of lighting, you get a lot of mileage out of relatively modest amounts of 'detailing', and I found every room interesting to look at, save for maybe the start area, which doesn't have a lot going on in terms of ideas. 

The gameplay is kinda milquetoast not necessarily because it's easy, but because the first two-thirds can be summed up more or less as 'dispatching low-tiers with weak weapons, while using doorways or thresholds as cover against the hitscanners' and occasionally 'taking out complementary perched snipers'. There is not a lot it does to flesh out an identity beyond that. While using that as a basis for the map is doable if it's your jam, interrupting it with some variety would have served it well. Contrast this with some of the later stuff: the imp and gasbag fight; the skirmish with some revs and hell knights; the last area with the spiders, various mid-tiers, and that archvile. That stuff has more of its own character, so it functions well enough, despite not being much harder. 

I see what you mean @rdwpa. It's true the first part of the map lacks some refreshing encounters, will take this into account from now, thanks.

19 hours ago, Diego Ignelzi said:

To be your first map you have done a great job!

Thank you @Diego Ignelzi!

Pretty cool first map. It's my first time playing while giving commentary, so hopefully that doesn't spoil the video.

Very nicely designed, but I've got to echo the people above. Lacked any kind of bite to it. Architecturally it fit right in with Plutonia though.

I enjoyed watching your video @Magicana, thanks for it.

I'm glad you all  liked the layout/design and spotted the feeling of Plutonia, it was my first objective for this map.

Though I fully understand it lacks the "punishing" touch of the iwad, which I admit I weren't planning to reproduce, resulting in a "odd" feeling about the map. Sure I will be more attentive to it.

Again thanks for playing my first map!