Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfredo

Deserted Base Version 1.3 Update *New Screenshots and Balance fixes**

Well, its an abandoned base with signs of hellspawn skulking about. Can't be that abandoned then, can it? 

Changelog:

Spoiler

Version 1.1 Update: Fixed a few bugs in places, missing textures. Compiled the textures into one wad so the additional wad isn't necessary anymore. Added some monsters and ammo in places and generally rebalanced some things. 

Version 1.2 Update: Fixed a few texture issues. Rebalanced some fights and added more threat in the near-end areas that felt too easy. Will be editing that second-to-last room to make it better when I have more time. Feels a touch anticlimactic right now. The rest of the map feels pretty solid.

Version 1.3 Update: Balance changes and some additional detailing in some areas. Added torches to make progression more obvious. 

IMPORTANT: Do not play using SoftPoly Renderer or Truecolor Softpoly renderer. This breaks certain textures and linedefs used in this map. Other renderers should be fine. But the one I used when testing this map is Hardware Accelerated.

New Map from scratch. Replaces Map05 of Doom2.

Format is UDMF with portal usage in places. 

Jumping and crouching are restricted in mapinfo.

Roughly 700 monsters, so its a bit chewy. 

It is recommended that you use GZDoom or a similar port of Doom.

This map can be a bit chewy at times, there is a high monster count and the encounters are geared towards a higher difficulty.

The map is balanced for Ultra-Violence and is clearable from pistol start.

Additional difficulties will be added in the next update. 

There are doors that you have to shoot to proceed.

It is a touch slaughterish, but not fully so.  

The water is very cold and the sky hates your existence. 

With that  being said. I hope you enjoy what I've made here. This is my 7th standalone map and I hope you have fun. 

Screenshots:Screenshot_Doom_20190914_173508.png.f88c1bc9dec2739805f77a1d55ead6da.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190918_213142.png.8535178f7683c6dde6f198b590718a03.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190918_213123.png.c0f32a7753a930aca517060f57b739a4.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190918_213106.png.80ec4cd18807e9612ec808b5416d8786.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190918_213042.png.3599cbaee31f9fc4a510c020756c7386.png

Download: Deserted Base.zip Version 1.3

Edited by Alfredo : Version 1.3 Bugfixes

That first screenshot is very lovely, love the way that base looks, I'll try the map out when I have the chance.

First, you could insert custom textures into your map's wad. It is very easy. Secondly, I liked the design of the external part of the base.

m-AXFa3-Gn-B8.png

???

f-Tw8p21h-Cl.png

TOO MANY OF THEM. I tried a lot to go through this location, but failed.

hk-MKr-KOVFs.png

These doors do not work.

Need more ammo.

8 hours ago, Armolitskiy said:

First, you could insert custom textures into your map's wad. It is very easy. Secondly, I liked the design of the external part of the base.

m-AXFa3-Gn-B8.png

???

f-Tw8p21h-Cl.png

TOO MANY OF THEM. I tried a lot to go through this location, but failed.

hk-MKr-KOVFs.png

These doors do not work.

Need more ammo.

Added some more ammo in that arena. Should be plenty to deal with everything. 

Those doors do work. They are just locked.

Thanks for playing my map!

2 hours ago, Alfredo said:

Added some more ammo in that arena. Should be plenty to deal with everything. 

Those doors do work. They are just locked.

Thanks for playing my map!

I played again. And here is what I will say. Your map is very difficult, hardcore. But this does not mean that it is bad. It's good, but it ripped my ass off. And yes, I did not immediately realize that some doors can be broken by shooting at them. This is pretty cool.

tried it out, it was alright, not my cup of tea, what with the 700 monsters. Didn't like that door you had to shoot, very strange progression on that part. The hell section was neat, didn't like all the chaingunners up my ass. the detailing was nice, especially the outside of the base you see at the beginning.

Very well done map with some clever bits in it. A thicc monster count and map size, but very consistent on a gameplay and aesthetic level. Manage the fights well and keep track of your resources and this isn't too tough. Many of my deaths either came from rocketting myself or falling off the map haha. A very solid, well put together effort from the Sauce Man. I look forward to more of the same!! 

7 hours ago, Armolitskiy said:

I think you should start doing another wad, and not improve this

Why should I stop improving it?

I liked it but I got stuck in the first dark waterfall area. I killed the revenants and 2 barons but there was nothing in their closet it seemed

33 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

I liked it but I got stuck in the first dark waterfall area. I killed the revenants and 2 barons but there was nothing in their closet it seemed

That's odd. Their closet has a portal that continues on the area. Your source port might be messing with the portal in that area.

41 minutes ago, Alfredo said:

That's odd. Their closet has a portal that continues on the area. Your source port might be messing with the portal in that area.

Okay. I used zandronum instead of gzdoom since gzdoom crashes on my device. That may be the cause

23 minutes ago, Arbys550 said:

Okay. I used zandronum instead of gzdoom since gzdoom crashes on my device. That may be the cause

Zandronum cannot render Linedef portals  But it can render sector portals. My map uses both so  you'd probably have to find a way to make GZDoom work in order to play it. Sorry to hear about that,  had no idea it wasn't compatible with Zandronum.

To anyone about to play this map. Make sure you do not use the Softpoly or TruecolorSoftpoly renderers. They break the line horizon linedefs used in certain parts of the map and it looks ugly as hell when broken. It is recommended to use Hardware Accelerated, but any other renderer should suffice.