Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Some Doom 64 Upscaled Smooth Weapon Sprites

I have been working on a little Doom 64 inspired gameplay mod. So I started upscaling (Topaz Gigapixel) and editing (Photoshop and Filter Forge) Doom 64ish weapon sprites. But since the enemies aren't upscaled, playtesters were right to say that there was a bit of a decoherence between the resolutions during gameplay. Also the upscaling on a few weapons were so rough, that I would probably have to just build the sprites from the ground up. I don't mind a little editing, but once I started looking up 3D modeling tutorials it was a rabbit hole too deep for me haha. So I am posting what I have done here (see the attached ZIP) in hopes it might be useful for others' work, or just as a curiosity. :D

I was able to finish the chaingun, chainsaw, pistol, rocket launcher, shotgun and the unmaker.
I have some unfinished upscaling for the super shotgun and the fist.
I also made new shell casing sprites and a biohazard protection upgrade from the ground up.

Weapon sprite previews:

Spoiler

UNMAA0.png.0150ba91b86bba4e3f694eb7150fd443.pngCHGGA0.png.6c1714e079977d25cba0484ea1eba982.pngPISGA0.png.9cd2bc225d66876a601766399bc7b624.pngSHTGA0.png.033178dc3641253d75b72a071bbba72d.pngMISGA0.png.f5d4afe1cab1ea70d2824d0e597c5dfd.pngSAWFA0.png.88b50b908d199508d26e68262f32d406.png

Some of my bonus graphics:

Spoiler

BCASF0.png.5b88031ae7a386f9bee497692e557f57.pngSCASH0.png.62cac5f6f58fc719c5285bfbd6048510.pngSUITA0.png.4785ff7ec8395a737085641f0c1bffc6.png

Credits:
The original sprites I used were the ones edited and collected by Nevander: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/91854-v15-doom-64-retribution/

I upscaled the smoother animation variants, which from what I read were by Gifty, Cage and Almonds: https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/69451-smooth-doom-update-92519/
Some of the frames were edited by Nevander and Skelegant.
I used the black glove variants, so if I am missing a credit or crediting improperly give me a roast and I will update accordingly.

File with all of the sprites:

Upscaled.zip

Edited by Immorpher

When I read the title I rolled my eyes, expecting to see yet another oily mess, but holy shit these look fantastic! My only complaint is that some of the sprites have a fairly noticeable black outline.

45 minutes ago, KVELLER said:

When I read the title I rolled my eyes, expecting to see yet another oily mess, but holy shit these look fantastic! My only complaint is that some of the sprites have a fairly noticeable black outline.

Indeed I noticed the outline with the Unmaker in particular. That's something I could fix eventually. What ended up stopping me in my tracks are the super shotgun upscales (also in the zip). They were distorted all over the place, which made it not an easy fix. With the chaingun some of the distortions were fixable or appeared fine when animated. Since the plasma gun and BFG have very sharp edges, I am afraid to even look what an upscaler spits at me lol. Since the Unmaker is kinda amorphous it ended up being the best candidate for upscaling.

Topaz Gigapixel is pretty decent keeping a little grain when upscaling, although some of it can look like a JPEG artifact, but its better than waifu 2x in that regard. What saved my butt was Filter Forge in the way it could add grain but base it around the details in the image. Then it was a matter of messing around with layering effects in photoshop.

@Immorpher WOW, those look great. I think the 64 art style really lends itself to upscaling better than a lot of the original art, since most of it was already digital in nature.

23 minutes ago, Gifty said:

@Immorpher WOW, those look great. I think the 64 art style really lends itself to upscaling better than a lot of the original art, since most of it was already digital in nature.

It definitely seems to be the case for the weapons! I noticed the fist isn't too bad either. Too bad the super shotgun upscales (in the folder) ended up a bit distorted.

Looks great for a start! Love the Chaingun especially. Has that metallic shine it needs. My only negative so far is the choice of glove color. I'd much prefer the OG gloves myself.

3 hours ago, Nevander said:

Looks great for a start! Love the Chaingun especially. Has that metallic shine it needs. My only negative so far is the choice of glove color. I'd much prefer the OG gloves myself.

I was surprised that my friends didn't harass me about the gloves earlier when I showed earlier versions of this haha. I work in a lab and the black gloves either are for human materials, blood, or contagions, which is why I am partial to them. I particularly like some of the hexen gloves because they look thinner like the latex gloves I use in the lab. But ya, if the super shotgun, plasma rifle, and BFG upscaling can be figured out, I will definitely do classic brown gloves. :)