Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alientank

Who REALLY wants to see the year 3000?

I think it would be kind of interesting. Technology so friggen advanced. However there's also the fact that humans love to destroy, it makes me wonder if we will even be around then, your thoughts?

Heh, finally the thread name has something to do with the thread.

Two words: Babylon 5.

I hope when I die, I can go into a counter-strike Observer mode, and just wonder around and watch humanity goings ons until something like judgment day finally comes round.

Biotechnology would have replaced much of the conventional technology. With oil and gas resources long since gone vegetable matter will be the new ingredient to everything.

Most machinery will be living organisms made for specific tasks. Only technology requiring very high temperatures, high energy states or emissions of certain kinds of electromacnetic wawes. Even these will have living components.

The future people will have a better understanding of the civilisations of the past milennium than we have due to larger amounts of preserved information. Still their picture of us will probably be inaccurate due to overromantizastion and lack of insight into our way of thinking and using our languages.

Global capitalism, in it's present form will long since have been banished to the dustbin of history.

The human race will not yet have left the Earth.

This age will probably be known as "The Oil Age" if present linguistic habits still holds sway.

Little Faith said:
Biotechnology would have replaced much of the conventional technology. With oil and gas resources long since gone vegetable matter will be the new ingredient to everything.

Most machinery will be living organisms made for specific tasks. Only technology requiring very high temperatures, high energy states or emissions of certain kinds of electromacnetic wawes. Even these will have living components.

Somebody been reading Red Dwarf..

Little Faith Also said:

I'd Say we would have at lest colonised Mars (this in 1000 Years time after all) possibly some of the other planets but we'd still be stuck in our solar system.

Little Faith:

The human has already left the Earth:
1 This first came to be on April 12 1961; Cosmonaut: Yuri Gagarin (Capsule: Vostok) was the first man in space.
2 Mankind set food on the moon on July 20 1969; Neil Armstrong a.o.; Apollo 11.
3 There are already people living in space(stations orbiting Earth).
4 The Europian countries, America, Russia, Japan etc. are working closer together to accomplish advancements. Japan has (serious) plans for a moonbase...

We shall explore/ tame and take our rightful place as the Gods of the Universe! ...uhm... well something like that anyway!

No you goddamn retards he means colonizing other planets in other solar systems other than our own. Or at the very least exploring the stars.

Christ

heh

I think by than we should at least have some type of warp drive

or something.......

I don't think humain will be here by the year 3000.

1- A comet capable of destroying all life on Earth is supposed to collide in 2029.

2- If the comet will not hit, scientist say the Earth will be out of ressources by 2050.

3- If by 2050 we manage to go somewhere else, someone will invent a bomb to blow us all up.

Welcome to TLC.

Babylon 5.

I'm gonna play something else now. RealLife is boring. I know, I'll play Doom!

I'm pretty sure I won't live to like 2060 or so, so the year 3000 doesn't really worry me :P

Darkstalker said:

1- A comet capable of destroying all life on Earth is supposed to collide in 2029.

Uhm... that was old news... and after more analysing, the people who reported it declared that it would not really happen.

2- If the comet will not hit, scientist say the Earth will be out of ressources by 2050.

A HUGE exaggeration. The earth's fossil fuel supply will most likely be drained by the end of the century, but ALL resources? No.

3- If by 2050 we manage to go somewhere else, someone will invent a bomb to blow us all up.

I'll take care of that.

Psyonisis said:

A HUGE exaggeration. The earth's fossil fuel supply will most likely be drained by the end of the century, but ALL resources? No.

I clearly remember seeing that on the news not so long ago. Scientists says that in the past 10 years, we used 1/3 of the planet global ressources. If we don't do anything right now, we don't have much time left.

I think you all seriously underrate the cabilities of humanity. Now, your predictions are probably all dead-on, the economy will see to that, but we certainly have the resources and mental capacity to achieve the major technological feats in our science-fiction.

I haven't read Red Dwarf.

By leaving Earth I meant forming permanent colonies outside Earth.

We will have used up our oil deposits, however.

Darkstalker said:

I clearly remember seeing that on the news not so long ago. Scientists says that in the past 10 years, we used 1/3 of the planet global ressources. If we don't do anything right now, we don't have much time left.

Humans will naturally move toward renewable energy resources when fossil fuels become too rare and expensive.

There isn't enough energy of any kind on the planet to blow up the planet.

There's something like a 1 in 100,000 chance of said comet colliding with Earth in 2029ish.

The fact is that we consume so much energy unnecessarily, the world really wouldn't suffer much of a shock if it had to cut its energy consumption by 90% there's SO much room for energy efficiency in our own homes, most of us don't realize it. We just plug in, pay the bills and forget about it.

There isn't enough energy of any kind on the planet to blow up the planet.

No, but there are however enough nuclear weapons to wipe out the surface.

The fact is that we consume so much energy unnecessarily, the world really wouldn't suffer much of a shock if it had to cut its energy consumption by 90% there's SO much room for energy efficiency in our own homes, most of us don't realize it. We just plug in, pay the bills and forget about it.

We could cetrainly save a lot of energy in our homes (especially by using more efficient electronical devices), but AFAIK, most energy is used in transports and industrial production. Getting energy consumption down by 25% would equal shutting down all traffic in the entire world, or something along those lines.

Year 3000? Cool.

2122: First Permanent Base on Mars
2210: Cold Fusion Developed
2282: Impeller Ring Drive Invented, Mankind can now reach the edges of the solar system
2284: Some dumbass tries to land on Venus and is atomixed
2312: Saturn's moon Titan is completely engulfed in flames when someone accidentally ignites a lake of natural gas
2522: Bill Gate's brain destroys Pluto "Just for Kicks"
2650: Bill Gate's brain is eaten by Crows. Nobody cares.
2777: On Mars, Teleportation is successful for the first time. Ancient Video Game causes paranoia and the project is shut down
2812: String Tunneling Drive is deemed possible
2984: Jupiter ignites into a star due to having trash launched into it, raising the star's mass enough to produce fusion. Mars becomes habitable.
3000: First String Tunneling Drive Prototype finished, and to be tested next year.

Gosh, exciting, huh?

All I read above is science-fiction, also to've been guessed to be able in this or the next century. People, please remember that a 1000 years ago 't was the time of Robin Hood and such.

I'm an optimist, I'd like to think that the Earth and even it's inhabitants will still be there...

Then again, I believe in the insects being the next on top of the evolutionary scale. It makes sense IMHO, since every other sort of species had their chance (except for the birds, but they derive from the dinosaurs as well)...!

I don't expect humankind to break any significant boundaries in space travel for the next 100 years. We possibly have the technology, but we certainly don't have the spirit.

Biotechnology and computing continue to make extraordinary advances. If the two are used together, then I think there will be things happening in the next few decades that we can't currently even contemplate, let alone describe.

Dirkwiezer: FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING SHIT FUCKING FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!

Why aren't you losered yet?

Fredrik: I wouldn't say that we all don't have the spirit. Unfortunately, I guess a lot more people have to have it in order for it to matter. Bleh.

Ultraviolet said:

Dirkwiezer: FUCK YOU YOU FUCKING MOTHERFUCKING SHIT FUCKING FUCK!!!! FUCK!!!!!!!

And Ultraviolet wins the Award for Most Fully Appropriate Use of the Word "MOTHERFUCKING" in a Doomworld Post.

Yes, come on mods/admins, do your stuff.

myk said:

I'll go to sleep and rise again in 1000 years.

Futurama: That's my fate. Too bad the future will still suck.