Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
galileo31dos01

[Limit-Removing] Parallels - Single map

The cyberdemon kicked my butt after the lights went off, after I kept falling into the ‘stair hole’ thing. It’s a really cool map, I love the transformation from metal to red bricks, but UV deaded me. Gonna try the new build on HMP tomorrow!

<3

Thanks!  This is a lot of fun.  I did not have a problem finding the light switch.  That is a tough Cyber Demon fight.  The Archviles in the Dark kinda remind me of Espi's invisible Archvile.  The layout is really solid and open and was very fun to explore.  I think its cool how the gameplay changes in hell to slaughter-lite to match the change in visuals.  The atmosphere is dripping from the screen on my laptop and has me inching my way around the map even though I can move at 125 mph.

well done.

@hawkwind I'm not sure I follow your case, the player has to pick the BK to leave the room, so crossing linedef 423 is inevitable. If you happened to skip it somehow, I could add another W1 linedef for sector 28, but sector 26, which initially requires the YK and then the BK, has to be "D1 open stay" on one side and "DR open wait close" on the other side to work intended. If you experienced this in GZDoom, I had feedback from someone who unfortunately skipped another linedef breaking a setup, so unexpected issues happening in gzdoom or any other source port I didn't test in are out of my knowledge, have to leave them there for now, sorry!. Otherwise if you could provide a demo of that happening I'd appreciate it!

@rdwpa Oh shit, imps skipping linedefs, oops :X. You also had mostly imps spawning for a while which sometimes happens and leaves room to what you did, so for that I thought of something to tweak it in a next update. I'm glad to read the viles ambush is appreciated, it's the idea I feared the most people would hate it. Thank you for the feedback and demo!!

BTW, was that a "oooh yeah that" or "yeah fuck that" at the end? ;P

@Doomkid Thanks!!. Don't miss the power switch, otherwise the cyberdemon will be awful in any skill setting.

@Mk7_Centipede Thanks!! 

5 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

@rdwpa Oh shit, imps skipping linedefs, oops :X. You also had mostly imps spawning for a while which sometimes happens and leaves room to what you did, so for that I thought of something to tweak it in a next update. I'm glad to read the viles ambush is appreciated, it's the idea I feared the most people would hate it. Thank you for the feedback and demo!!

BTW, was that a "oooh yeah that" or "yeah fuck that" at the end? ;P

I experimented with that approach several times and it worked pretty much regardless of which monsters showed up first -- although, sure, a few HKs appearing first is tougher. Pretty sure the imp skipping might be related to the spawn clogging that happens when the player does that, and imo that at least is no big deal since you can kill them through the bloodfall. I actually managed to get a HK to stick around once, though, which looks a lot weirder.

As for the question, it was kinda the latter, but it's all in good fun.

By the way, after my first playthrough, I thought something had broken. I IDDT'd and saw the red arrows in the teleport closet. It is physically connected to the blood area fight, which to me, implied those monsters are a part of it. The thought was: "Wait, all these monsters didn't appear? Maybe that explains why it was so easy." It was pretty funny to look in the editor and see the real explanation. 

Edited by rdwpa

On 9/18/2019 at 12:01 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

If it desyncs is because I recorded it before editing a couple minor touches, but it shouldn't, I guess. 

Yes, parallelsUV_proof.lmp does desync.

i was playing on uv last night. i really like the look of the map & the concept of the parallels. i thought the cyberdemon fight was actually not very hard despite the other comments.

i didnt finish it because i couldn't do the archvile fight after. is there a light switch somewhere for that room? i couldn't figure out where cover was and where the archviles are attacking me from because i couldn't see, and it ended up being frustrating.

anyway despite that, the parts i enjoyed were quite good and i would like to see more maps from you

On 9/20/2019 at 8:41 AM, galileo31dos01 said:

@hawkwind I'm not sure I follow your case, the player has to pick the BK to leave the room, so crossing linedef 423 is inevitable. If you happened to skip it somehow, I could add another W1 linedef for sector 28, but sector 26, which initially requires the YK and then the BK, has to be "D1 open stay" on one side and "DR open wait close" on the other side to work intended.

I see now. So It might be a good idea to change the texture on linedefs 125 and 187 to DOORBLU.

@anotak The idea is to kill the archviles in darkness, so no power switch for that hehe

Updated to 1.2, link in my bio OP:

Spoiler

- Minor brightness adjustments.
- Technical changes to the SSG ambush to improve it.
- Raised light to 96 in the tunnel in SSG area, should be better or deal with it >:3
- Lines 125 and 187 are colored blue now.

Unless someone finds anything game-breaking, this would be the last update until it gets inserted in a future set. Many many thanks to everyone who played it, streamed it, gave feedback, made recordings, viewed the thread and then went to the toilet, everything! <33