1. 1. Read the above

• Mancubus
    • Revenant
    • Chaingunner
    • Pain Elemental
    • SS Nazi
    • Hell Knight
    • Archvile

What's the absolute worst Doom2 monster, the one that made it in, but never should left the offices of id software?

the pain elemental sucks the most. spits out lost souls and they act like a shield to waste your ammo. on levels with confined spaces and limited ammo those things really piss me off.

archviles cause some problem but i have learned to deal with themthe chaingunners seem to cause more damage than the archviles get to.

next would be spider master mind, a bitch to fight in any open space with anything less than a plasma rifel

Of course, the SS guard. Sure it's an easter egg of sorts, but it just doesn't fit.

Edit: Just try to beat a cybie with 400 bullets or less. (no rockets, no cells, hell, no shells too)

Super Internal-Rhyme Combo! whatever.

The Revenant. sure, there's nothing wrong with them in doom 2,BUT WHY THE FUCKING HELL MUST EVERY MAPMAKER PUT AT LEAST 20 OF THE WHORES IN AT ROOM THE SIZE OF A PUBLIC TOILET WITH ABSOLUTELY NO COVER? IT'S NOT FUN, IT A RIGHT ROYAL PAIN IN THE ARSE!! I has in part, contributed to why I don't play many pwads anymore.

The Captain's right. I'm tied with the Revenent and the Hell Knight.

Revenents run around all crazy like, shoot those annoying missles, and used to scare the shit out of me (MAP16 comes to mind). Hell Knights are just weaker versions of the baron, but they're annoying. Sure, we don't have to take on Barons as much, but is it realy worth it?

Im glad no one said Mancubus =D

EDIT: Hey! If SS Nazi is in there, you forgot Commander Keen!

Indeed, the pain elemental sucks. Take level 23 on UV for example - about 5 of them are present in one view and about 100 lost souls fly around like they own you. Annoying. Archviles are fun to fight, revenants do indeed piss me off.

I'd say the Hell Knight in its current form, which means that I'd much rather have seen it as some kind of winged demon (possibly flying) a little larger than the Baron of Hell than have it completely eliminated.

At least with the SS, you can run around in map 31 and get them to kill each other, or set loose the Cyberdemon to kill them for you.

Oh, and there would only be 20 Lost Souls there, since that's all that the Pain Elementals can belch out at a time. If there are any more of them around, the Pain Elementals become mere floating targets that can even be killed without worry by nonbeserked fists (try it in the beginning of map 9).

None, since the post is too harsh, stating that it should not have been made at all. They all rock except the SS guy, but that a tribute to Wolf3D found only in the secret maps, which doesn't bother me. Of course, had they not included the SS guy, it would not have mattered.

All the DOOM II monsters were excellent additions and none was redundant; they all have special characteristics that tell them appart:

A more potent zombie dude (remeber that we have the SSG and the megasphere now on the Player's side.)

A plasma using monster

A monster with homing fireballs

A floating monster that spawns Lost Souls (very cool)

A tough monster that deals out a barrage of fireballs

A monster that animates others and deals out a cool new flame attack

A variation of the Baron that may be placed in greater numbers: using many barons in places would probably have made the game too slow, and you needed a relatively tough simple monster now since you have the SSG

We know Carmack has the philosophy of including only necessary things in the games made he takes part in, and not adding redundant things. It shows here.

I thought they were all great fun, but the revenant is badly used in many pwads.

Of the new additions, I think pain elemental is the best.

I like all the new Doom2 monsters. OK, you wouldn't want to see the SS popping up too often, but they were there for a specific reason.

Revenants are great - they forced Doomers to develop new skills. Pain Elementals and Arch-Viles are excellent deterrents to camping - the player must act, or risk being swamped by more monsters than he can handle. And of course AV jumps added a whole new range of possible tricks.

The Boss Brain and Boss Shooter were new Doom2 monsters. Why aren't they in the poll?

BTW, I recall Quasar mentioning that the lost soul limit is actually 21 (not 20).

Heh, actually, he forgot the Arachnotron too. I'm not sure I'd call the boss an actual monster, but yeah, sort of.

I Like all the Doom2 monsters. The most annoying is the Pain Elemental, but it's not a bad addition.

Shaviro said:

I Like all the Doom2 monsters. The most annoying is the Pain Elemental, but it's not a bad addition.

same here.

Except the nazi guys and keen dont belong in it, glad they only appear in bonus levels

All the Doom2 monsters are great. If some PWADs have bad gameplay, that's because of poor monster placement, not the monsters themselves being bad.

I voted for SS nazi but i don't think it's a Doom 2 monster...

For Doom2 monsters revenant or pain elemental is worst. They both are good monsters if placed well, but if pain elementals are placed in huge areas behind other enemies or revenants in tight places they suck. And they both have ugly death animations.

Chaingunner. They suck. Especially when one pops up beinhd you and cuts you in half in 2 seconds.

People are too fond of doing this to us.

I liked all the Doom 2 monsters.

Revenant - they can launch those homing missles or bitchslap you, making them a tough opponent up close or from afar! Certainly a challenge.

Pain Elemental - why hate this beast? It shoots out the most annoying monsters in Doom. Makes perfect sense to me.

Hell Knight - because putting Barons everywhere would have been gay they made these things which are just like Barons except weaker but still tough at the same time.

Mancubus - tough and they blast fireballs everywhere! What is there to hate?

Archvile - scary, 'nuff said.

Arachnatrons - annoying buggers but still, fun to fight and destroy.

Chaingunners - they add a unique challenge to Doom 2.

SS Nazi and Keen - easter eggs, who cares?

While the Hell Knight is cool enough it should have looked a bit more different from the baron. Not just a slight change in skin colour.

Little Faith said:

While the Hell Knight is cool enough it should have looked a bit more different from the baron. Not just a slight change in skin colour.

isn't it also smaller?

kulma said:

isn't it also smaller?

No. The Hell Knight's color is different, as well as his 'hi' and 'bye'-sound. He's easier to kill and his (same-looking) fireballs inflict less damage than his big brother does, but other than that it's exactly as LittleFaith said, a Baron of Hell with a different color.

SS guys aren't monsters so they don't count - at least not creature monsters.

Three monsters I despise:
By general behaviour: Pain Elemental - creates all these annoying lost souls and has no attack on its own, lame, lame, lame.

By concept: Revenant - sure, it's homing missiles are cool and makes it challenging, but the monster itself is lame, a tall skeleton. Skeletons used to scare me when I was a kid (a lot of my nightmares were about skeletons and skulls), but I eventually grew used to them and now, with them being everywhere they aren't scary for shit. Skeletons are only good for scaring small kids, not grown adults. Oh and its gear is lame too - two short cylinders that I wouldn't for a moment believe could launch these missiles.

Hell Knight: Bah! A Baron of Hell that fell into a tub with grey paint and who's generally more of a weakling than a Baron, lame, lame, lame.......did I mention lame? Words cannot describe how incredibly lame and boring this enemy is - it adds nothing to the game apart from ok new sounds.

My general take on Doom 2 enemies (the rest of them):

Former human troops/Sergeants: Good basic idea to have some humanoid, slightly mutated enemies that wield instant hit weapons.

Former human commandos: Conceptwise they kick so much ass, except for the fact that they're fat, wtf is up with that? Gameplaywise they're SO annoying, firing endlessly at you like that.

Imps: Great weakest demon enemy, throwing fireballs is a cool attack and they look cool too.

Demon: Good basic idea, but it sucks that it's so hard for them to actually be able to bite anything that moves. Never really liked the pink colour - red or orange would've fit better imho.

Lost Soul: Ok enemy, can be annoying when in swarms, but otherwise it's great. Their screeching attack was a great idea to instill fear and the concept itself is ok too. Only beef with it conceptwise is that it's called a "lost soul" - you can't shoot souls dammit.

Cacodemon: That demon never said me much except that it looked funny, it's good that it floats and belches death from above though.

Baron of Hell: This demon kicks so much ass. The most demonic of all the regular demons (in fact the only one that truly looks like a demon from Hell to my eyes), it sounds cool and horryfying and it's bolt flinging attack being faster and more harmful is a good thing too.

Arachnotron: The only reason why I don't think this thing is lame is that it brandishes a plasma gun of sorts.

Mancubus: Conceptwise I hate this demon, fat ugly bastard. Then again, Hell has to have shapes of all despisable kinds to really make it Hell. It's attack is great, hard to dodge and dangerous as Hell.

Archvile: The second greatest enemy in the game! It's attack is spot on, and its ability to raise fallen enemies is not lame because it can also attack you itself, rather it makes it more frightening. Conceptwise, however, I thoroughly dislike it (which is the only reason why it isn't number 1). The damn thing looks more like a space alien than a demon from Hell to my eyes.

Spider Mastermind: Ugh! Krang in a mechanical, four-legged spider body - what a lame idea. Still, I must hand it to it that it brandishes a cool weapon (Uberchaingun), but its attack is just as fucked up as the chaingunners.

Cyberdemon: One demon to rule them all! This demon just looks so cool for many of the same reasons as with the Baron, only it has far cooler horns, an uglier face (in a positive way) and is far taller.
The ground itself shakes under its hooves as it moves (ok maybe not, but it sure gives us that impression with that *clump**clump* sound of its hooves) and its powerful weapon inspires fear and terror in all of us. And to top it off, it has mechanical parts to please us cybernetics geeks :-P

dsm said:

Hell Knight: Bah! A Baron of Hell that fell into a tub with grey paint and who's generally more of a weakling than a Baron, lame, lame, lame.......did I mention lame? Words cannot describe how incredibly lame and boring this enemy is - it adds nothing to the game apart from ok new sounds.

Gotta agree to most that dsm said, but not to the Hell knight part. I think the baron of hell has too much health. It just eats too much ammo! They could have made it look more different though.

And I don't like Cyberdemon much, it looks cool but I think it should have more ways to attack. Just missiles make it a bit boring.

DooMer 4ever said:

I think the baron of hell has too much health. It just eats too much ammo! They could have made it look more different though.

Well, the Baron was originally intended as a minor boss - a monster that's rare and mostly encountered alone. To that, the monster's high hitpoint level suits it perfectly imo.

Btw, I wouldn't be surprised if those who think the Hell Knight is cool turn out to be those who first played Doom 2 before they even tried Doom 1.

I voted for the pain elemental. they look stupid, sound stupid, and attack stupid, IMO. the only thing I like about them is the way they die. >)

I really have nothing else against any other enemies.

the hell knight is an okay addition for the gameplay.

mancubus I hated at first, but slowly grew to appreciate the those huggable flamethowing tubs of lard. I love how they die.

I actually like the ss nazi, but only in the secret wolfenstein levels. used anywhere else they suck.

the revenant is an okay enemy that is over used in home brewed maps. other than that I have no real problem with them.

ditto for the chaingunner. bad placement of the chaingunner/s in home brewed maps can be quite annoying. I don't like having four of them pop up in close proximity, your only escape being a door has five revenants behind it. thats a recipe for insta-toast.

I like the arachnotron. tough little buggers with plasma weapons. cool death to boot. these can be abused as well, but I rarely see it.

and this brings me to the arch-vile, my favourite doom enemy. the only doom baddie to actually scare me.

picture map 11, "O" of destruction, if you will. this is your first time playing this level and your health is low. you go for the blue key. the column in the room pops up and running at you is a creature you've never seen before.

you panic at the sudden surprise and backpedal out of the room firing you combat shot gun once and missing. the creature raises its arms in the air and you begin to burn. you run to the left and wait for it to come out of the room so you can plug it.

an imp comes out instead of the tall lanky monster and you blast it. wait a minute. didn't you kill all the imp in there. you look in the little window of the room and see the strange creature resurrecting a dead imp! then it quickly turns and begins it's attack again. you begin to fire, but its too late. you are reduced to a stain on the wall and must start again. at least this time you will be ready for the arch-vile.(add sinister echo here)

yeah, so thats my first encounter with the arch-vile. he truly freaked me out then, and can sometimes do it now. the one problem with the AV is when a map author uses then badly. I've come across some really bad ones, like having six AVs on an unreachable upper tier of a wide arena like area with no cover. even running at turbo 255 you would get hit a few times. and thats not taking any of the other monsters into account.

The Hell Knight is the laziest creation, monster-wise; a re-coloured Baron of Hell with different sight/death sounds, and fewer hit points.

The most creative would probably be either the Mancubus or the Revenant - brand new creatures with brand new attacks.

As for the SS Nazis - they're there for novelty value, no different to the hanging Keens on map32.

Lets face it, the cooloest of all the monsters is mancubus, the worst is gotta be pain elementel, not only do I hate being up against one their death is crappy, no guts, jus fire. yawn.

Please kill me

Pain Elementals suck. The only attack they got is that Lost Soul repawny thingy and it drives me crazy seeing 5 PEs and they're spitting Loust Souls like crazy!!! On the subject of Pain Elementals, do they have any close ranged attacks? I keep forgetting.

I like the SSwolfies. It's too bad you can't pick up their guns.

No they don't their attack, their only attack, is to spit out Lost Souls, and when there's 20 (or maybe 21) of them, then the Pain Elementals become completely harmless.