Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeroa

does the doom on GBC exist?

Recommended Posts

i read somewhere in the wiki that the hguy who mnade the GBA port originally made a tech demo foty the game boy color, but after some websearching i couldnt find more info

Share this post


Link to post

I know there is a wolf3d homebrew port 

 

http://www.happydaze.se/wolf/ 

 

But for Doom I don't know if there was one, doom on the gbc seems too much for the console unless someone does some Carmackgic and somehow gets it to work, if not render on the system. 

Share this post


Link to post

I really wish there was...

 

But sadly, no. There were rumors years back about someone making a GBC port, but it turned out to be a hoax. There is a video on youtube that claims its on Gameboy, but its just PC Doom put through a bunch of filters.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Probably the closest you'd get to Doom on GBC is Tyrannosaurus Tex.

Cool i didn't know about that one. Seems that it was an unreleased game and that Piko Interactive acquired the rights to it a few years ago. 

 

The only one i can think of off hand is Faceball 2000 but its not really close to Doom even though it is considered an FPS. It was also released for the original Gameboy, not the GBC.

Edited by CyberDreams

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Probably the closest you'd get to Doom on GBC is Tyrannosaurus Tex.

 

that is quite impressive, pity it never got released

 

10 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

8rgedmol8lj31.png?width=960&crop=smart&a

 

Don't worry, it's fake. But I really wanted to see something like this in GBC.

 

thats a really nice mock up. i like how it is very simple yet recognizable as doom

Share this post


Link to post

I do know that people can do a homebrew games for NES/SNES/GBC/GBA platforms...

 

Let's do our Doom for GBC! Well, I'm kinda joking, because we need a programmer who will help with such task. And I can bet that nobody will help with this. And no, I'm not dat guy who can write a Doom-clone engine for GBC.

Share this post


Link to post

I remember seeing a video that was basically a first-person Space Harrier clone with Doom sprites and the title screen was the cover for Downward Spiral or something like that. Anyone got the link?

Share this post


Link to post

I can't even google something like this ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

 

But I found this:

 

It's a homebrew port, but looks insanely good

Share this post


Link to post

That's not the latest video for that project. This is:
 

 

It's also cheating by using a 32-bit coprocessor...though I'd argue that it's cheating less than Doom NES is.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't think that was necessary to post the latest video of his project. It doesn't really matter because it's a Wolfenstein, we're talking about the DOOM on GBC, right?

 

Anyway, for GBC Doom it would be something Wolfenstei-nish (or like on image I've posted from reddit earlier).

P.S.: I can't say that using a 32-bit coprocessor is "cheating" just because it works on the actual console.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

P.S.: I can't say that using a 32-bit coprocessor is "cheating" just because it works on the actual console.

I think it is "cheating", as it requires extra (expensive) hardware in the cartridge and is not something which any official game did (AFAIK).

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, andrewj said:

I think it is "cheating", as it requires extra (expensive) hardware in the cartridge and is not something which any official game did (AFAIK).

True, no GBC cartridge had any extra hardware that i know of but i may be wrong. Doom on SNES did use the Super FX 2 chip though and that is considered extra hardware (i think?). Although other games did use the Super FX 2 chip, but only a few.

Share this post


Link to post

I got what you meant.

 

And I've checked all "first person shooter" games for GBC. Well, Google trolled me. There are Rainbow Six, 007, etc games for GB Color, BUT they are not FPS.

 

And looks like there is no chance to make a Wolf3D clone without "cheating". That's kinda sad. I mean, hypothetically, if we somehow will create the Wolf3D-like-Doom, for real hardware we need to add chip to catriges (or play on emulator-only). That's kinda sucks.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

And looks like there is no chance to make a Wolf3D clone without "cheating". That's kinda sad.

Yeah, the hardware of the GameBoy and GBC are just too limited to make anything really playable (in the FPS genre).

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, jeroa said:

the GBC could at least have had somethin in the style of the doom rpg no?

Doing 3D on essentially 80s hardware wasn't really possible.

 

As I said, the closest the GBC got was Tyrannosaurus Tex. For original Game Boy you'd probably be looking at either Faceball 2000, or X, the latter game done by Argonaut, whose next project would be Starfox on the SNES.

 

Difference is, X was done with no extra chips whatsoever, all 100% off the GB's power.

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Difference is, X was done with no extra chips whatsoever, all 100% off the GB's power.

 

You mean THIS X?

 

But anyway, looks really cool for the GBC powers

Share this post


Link to post

maybe i say this bacause i am technology ignorant, but why couldnt something like what tex and x did be used to make a doom game back then? its not like all the doom console ports felt the same to play anyway

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

You mean THIS X?

 

 

But anyway, looks really cool for the GBC powers

That's the one.

 

And that's original Game Boy. GBC = Game Boy Color, which had a processor that had a faster processing speed for color-based games.

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

That's the one.

 

And that's original Game Boy. GBC = Game Boy Color, which had a processor that had a faster processing speed for color-based games.

 

I can't find X for GBC. Only GB. Hm.

 

47 minutes ago, jeroa said:

maybe i say this bacause i am technology ignorant, but why couldnt something like what tex and x did be used to make a doom game back then? its not like all the doom console ports felt the same to play anyway

 

I don't get your question. You mean, why id Software din't create Doom for GBC? Or why nobody even tried to hack those existed games?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, jeroa said:

maybe i say this bacause i am technology ignorant, but why couldnt something like what tex and x did be used to make a doom game back then? its not like all the doom console ports felt the same to play anyway

Because even with that, the hardware is extremely limited.

 

Two action buttons, notice there's no texturing for walls or floors, and of course, this was 90s Nintendo so they wouldn't have allowed it. The SNES Doom port came out only in 1995, after the ESRB had been established here.

 

So basically lack of tech + lack of faithfulness. Carmack was a big stickler on faithfulness (potentially to detriment of performance), so he wasn't happy when stuff got too chopped down, either.

 

49 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

I can't find X for GBC. Only GB. Hm.

It is only for Game Boy. I'm pointing out that using the acronym of GBC specifically refers to Game Boy Color, and that had better hardware in some senses than the original. Calling it that when referring to a non-color game is basically like calling a Sega 32X game or Sega CD game as a game for the Genesis/Mega Drive.

 

If you're referring to an original Game Boy, the usual abbreviations are GB or GBM (for Game Boy Monochrome).

 

Or if you want to be really fancy, the DMG, which was its codename (Dot-Matrix Game).

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

It is only for Game Boy. I'm pointing out that using the acronym of GBC specifically refers to Game Boy Color, and that had better hardware in some senses than the original. Calling it that when referring to a non-color game is basically like calling a Sega 32X game or Sega CD game as a game for the Genesis/Mega Drive.

 

If you're referring to an original Game Boy, the usual abbreviations are GB or GBM (for Game Boy Monochrome).

 

Or if you want to be really fancy, the DMG, which was its codename (Dot-Matrix Game).

 

Thanks for info, I never had a Gameboy, so I didn't knew anything about such things.

 

I've decided to lurk for homebrew games by crazy russians...they do like making an interesting experimental games for old consoles. I didn't find anything FPS related yet, BUT...I found this:

 

Hory shiet! Is there a way to port from Virtual Boy into NES/GB/GBC? Lmao.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

 

Thanks for info, I never had a Gameboy, so I didn't knew anything about such things.

 

I've decided to lurk for homebrew games by crazy russians...they do like making an interesting experimental games for old consoles. I didn't find anything FPS related yet, BUT...I found this:

 

Hory shiet! Is there a way to port from Virtual Boy into NES/GB/GBC? Lmao.

 

Lol that actually looks pretty awesome haha!

I wonder though, how was this genre called? If there's a name for it, some kind of first person dungeon crawling?

 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

 

Thanks for info, I never had a Gameboy, so I didn't knew anything about such things.

 

I've decided to lurk for homebrew games by crazy russians...they do like making an interesting experimental games for old consoles. I didn't find anything FPS related yet, BUT...I found this:

 

Hory shiet! Is there a way to port from Virtual Boy into NES/GB/GBC? Lmao.

Virtual Boy is actually considerably more advanced and a proper 32-bit system, so probably not.

Share this post


Link to post

The Commodore 64 had some 3D maze games like that, so I reckon it could be done on the GBC hardware using a carefully crafted tileset.

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, andrewj said:

The Commodore 64 had some 3D maze games like that, so I reckon it could be done on the GBC hardware using a carefully crafted tileset.

 

Well, the Doom was recreated for Commodore VIC-20 with additional RAM requirement. I do know it uses much more powers than C64, but still sounds like it's possible to make a maze game. But it will be really like "Doom RPG 1".

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×