Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Octillion

Insufferable (15 map wad.) (Lost a bet = Make a wad.) (Final Update.)

I don't know what were we thinking when a friend and I decided to make a bet with such a topic. To top it off, each loss in our game resulted in further conditions being added, which resulted in one hell of an endeavor for me. (Keep in mind I have never touched any doom-related editing tools/engines.)

In the end, I lost and the conditions were set in stone as follows:-

1) Make a megawad.

2) Difficulty raising with each level without it becoming a slaughterfest.

3) Each map must "feel" different and not "repetitive."

4) Hybrid theme of old-school maps and new.

5) At least simple tinkering with slade and scripts.

6) Absolutely no editing earlier maps when you finished them. (Humiliation bonus.)  Condition revoked.

I was only able to do 13 maps, before I ran out of ideas and my friend complied.

Port: Tested in Zdoom. (Doombuilder, Doom in Hexen format.)

IWAD: Doom2.

Maps: 13. (Final goal 15)

Difficulty: The first 5 maps are kind of a joke. (In terms of map design.) However, the monster placement is tricky. I would say it's brutal in the later maps and I would advise using your ammo carefully.

Credits: Skypack textures are from skieseye.wad and from Mechadon's Sky-o-box. Special thanks to HAK3180 for his feedback.

Recommendation: Play on GZdoom for the best experience. (Map 15 has fps drops on Zdoom for some reason.)

NOTE: If you do not want to play the amateur maps, jump to map 07 and play from there.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nxi5um9ofzlrui9/Insufferable_v1.2.wad/file

Screenshots:-

Screenshot_Doom_20190920_004432.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190920_004523.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190920_004602.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190926_183549.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191001_223327.png

Edited by Octillion : Update.

"Batsu Game" would've been a more appropriate name, but I digress.

Looks decently worth checking out, especially for that sweet schadenfreude.

I can tell people were turned off immediately due to the first few maps, which is a fair point. Therefore, a complete overhaul will be made on the first 5 maps when I'm done finishing the later maps.

Final goal will be a 20-map wad.

Major Update:-

This fixes most of the problems and the starting maps are now more tolerable to the eye.

Log:- 

Spoiler

- Added more weapons, ammo and health. Pistol starting all of the maps is now possible. (Some are still hard tho.)

- The first 4 maps got updated without messing too much with the gameplay. (I like their simplicity.)

- Map 04 should be easier to navigate now.

- Removed the unnecessary switches in map 05.

- Fixed map 07's skybox and added more mountain scenery.

- Fixed map 08's scripts.

- Removed map 12's ... uhh.... unfair sequence.

- Map 14 added.

That being said, I feel I should address a couple of things first. This wad doesn't really have a category, by that I mean the maps are different from each other in terms of gameplay. Some are very simple, others are very hectic/active and some are non-linear. (Check @HAK3180 playthrough.)

If you want to skip some maps because you don't like that category or need more context, the following will be a summary of each map.

Map List:-

Spoiler

Map 01 - Simple gameplay, nothing special. 

Map 02 - Simple gameplay, nothing special.

Map 03 - Simple gameplay, nothing special.

Map 04 - You will either find this fun or annoying.

Map 05 - A step up from the simplicity.

Map 06 - Slow-paced.

Map 07 - Navigation is a bit confusing, but very active gameplay.

Map 08 - Speedrun or 100%.

Map 09 - Ammo/Health gimmick.

Map 10 - Tight ammo, active gameplay.

Map 11 - Swarm gameplay.

Map 12 - Non-linear and swarm gameplay.

Map 13 - Non-linear, tight ammo and active gameplay.

Map 14 - Don't want to spoil this one.

This leaves maps 15 - 20. Map 15 is probably gonna be a city theme, and the rest will be Hell themed. Hopefully, they will be near map 14's quality or at the very least map 13.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/vb4obw41lghls8m/Insufferable_v1.1.wad/file

Edited by Octillion

Well, that's the fastest mistake in history. Map 01's file was corrupted and therefore the level is a blend of the old one and the new one. R.I.P. (Will try to fix asap.) 

Fixed.

Screenshots for the overhauled maps:-

Screenshot_Doom_20190930_012137.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190930_012156.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190930_012212.png

Edited by Octillion

Just a small tease for what's coming soon. (No promises when tho, this map wasn't supposed to be a full blown city map.)

Screenshot_Doom_20191005_212149.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191005_212200.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191005_212245.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191005_212305.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191005_212345.png

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make 20 maps. There are a few reasons as to why though.

1) I'm burned out... And I'm talking about the bad one. As in you stare at a square sector for an hour unable to decide the textures.

2) Map 15 is the biggest and most ambitious map I am working on so far. If you're curious as to know "How big is your big?" This spoiler shows you about 40% of the map and my work so far. 

Spoiler

Screenshot_3.png.1603e35f92d00908114c7d39dcc9a746.png

3) I want to end the wad at a high note. Because, to be honest, I just don't see myself doing something better than this at my current mapping skills. The hell maps will just feel like filler and will leave a bad taste as a finale.

This is the final update, map 15 is now finished. This now only leaves your criticism and any bugs you find. Thanks for sticking by.

Now that I finished this little project, I seem to have taken a liking to mapping. I'll definitely make more maps in the future, after some reflection/cooldown period of course. Although I am not 100% satisfied with the outcome, it was enjoyable for the most part. 

And voila: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nxi5um9ofzlrui9/Insufferable_v1.2.wad/file

I only have one regret from this project, and that is Map 10.

Map 10 was supposed to be THE map of the wad. However, once I started making it I quickly realized that I would not be able to do it any justice. Therefore, I had to scrap 80% of it.

Congratulations on finishing this project, 15 is still a fair amount of maps and I applaud the effort of finishing it in spite of being burned out.

I have so far played through the 4 first maps in UV  and found them quite enjoyable, with difficulty ramping up with level progression, which is good.

There's a few minor bugs that I found (using GZDoom v4.2.0):

Spoiler

Map 01 - I managed to get soft locked after finding the first secret (sector 147). So you could have the floor stay lowered or copy the special to the inside wall.

Map 02 -  Sector 20 has all its walls with the same special as the switch that lowers it, making it possible to lower the sector even further. Also SW1MARB might make more sense here than SW2MARB.

Map 03 - The walls on the elevator (sector 58) are lower unpegged, so the textures don't move with the platform when it lowers.

Map 04 - The platform after the red key (sector 72) doesn't raise, looking at the special action in Slade, it appears it should be raised by default and player use lowers it down to get on it. I'm not sure if that was the intention.

Another thing I noticed is none of the door tracks seem to be lower unpegged so they move with the doors, same thing with crushers. Not a big issue but it makes it more visually pleasing.

@Mike_C  Thanks for playing and the feedback.

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

Congratulations on finishing this project, 15 is still a fair amount of maps and I applaud the effort of finishing it in spite of being burned out.

I have so far played through the 4 first maps in UV  and found them quite enjoyable, with difficulty ramping up with level progression, which is good.

There's a few minor bugs that I found (using GZDoom v4.2.0):

Hide contents

Map 01 - I managed to get soft locked after finding the first secret (sector 147). So you could have the floor stay lowered or copy the special to the inside wall.

Whoops, I forgot to do the other line def there, my bad.

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

Map 02 -  Sector 20 has all its walls with the same special as the switch that lowers it, making it possible to lower the sector even further. Also SW1MARB might make more sense here than SW2MARB.

Oh yeah, that was in the older version of the map... Forgot to remove that.

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

Map 03 - The walls on the elevator (sector 58) are lower unpegged, so the textures don't move with the platform when it lowers.

Yeah, that was definitely the intention when I made the elevator back then. It does look bad, I'll prob fix that after all the bugs are found.

1 hour ago, Mike_C said:

Map 04 - The platform after the red key (sector 72) doesn't raise, looking at the special action in Slade, it appears it should be raised by default and player use lowers it down to get on it. I'm not sure if that was the intention.

Hmm, this is a strange one. The script works as intended when I pick up the red key. Not sure why that happened to you.

Oh the doors.... Ughhh..... That's a lot of doors to fix LOL.

I'll upload a fixed version after all the bugs are found.