Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

do you put Easter eggs in your WADS?

I personally like to replace the texture of an unused object with a low res picture of my cat and place it in a hidden room.

Yeah, I have a few in one of my upcoming projects (I just don't want to say what those Easter Eggs may be).

Edited by Doom_Dude

Haven't in my Doom WADs yet, but I know I would in some PC stuff (because all my work up until now is technically conversions of stuff to PSX Doom).

I do remember doing that during my UT2004 mapping days though. For example, in one map, I made a joke texture for the zone portals, with a picture of a friend's avatar with a "no" circle/line covering it, and a comment that said friend sucked. You'd never, ever see it in-game (because such zone portal texturing existed solely to delineate zone portals in the editor/engine), but all you'd have to do is load the map in UnrealEd and it'd be immediately visible, clear as day.

In my only solo map yes, it was an exercise in using the wolf3d textures without any resemblance to that game, plus a little inoffensive joke for people's amusement. I personally find easter eggs that add humor and/or cuteness very appealing.

Hmm, maybe once or twice. I know I put my initials in High/low 3. Nothing special. But I do appreciate when people go the extra lenght to put in something cute or interesting.

Hmm, now that you mention the initials thing Chris, I did place health potions spelling out my last name in my first megawad but those were out in the open.

in my past WADs there's

- a comedy version of Dead Simple where the switches around the outside turn off the lights in the arena

- pallas cats

- elon musk looking smug; mac tonight looking smug

- attacks on various companies

- many various hidden words

- many unmarked secrets

- many inexplicable zones that might be puzzles or might just be incidental stuff

once i'm dead maybe more people will discover some of them lol

Although Easter is more than half a year away. Yes I love putting Easter eggs into my maps.

There are several in Doomed Space Wars including a Super Mario bros 3 area in one of the maps. Also Whispers of Satan has a few too, etc.

I love finding easter eggs in Doom WADs I play. It's a special moment that breaks the monotony of a map.

I think I put once in my map Real.wad a secret with the demoscene raster bars I used much later on Doomonstration.wad

IWAD references (is my trademark)

Gachimuchi joke in a secret room in my map for DMP 2013

Most probably, many other wads have some kind of Easter Egg, hidden or in plain sight

In Empyrion, starting with the fourth map, all the maps have an Easter egg with 2 soul spheres, blue armor, and all of the weapons, but they are designed not to be found.  If you manage to find your way into one of those without me showing you how to get in (and without noclip), congratulations!  You have truly earned the goodies within.

10 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

IWAD references (is my trademark)

Gachimuchi joke in a secret room in my map for DMP 2013

Most probably, many other wads have some kind of Easter Egg, hidden or in plain sight

Man, been awhile since I saw Ultimate Muscle Roller Legend. Thanks for the nostalgia.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, BBQgiraffe said:

I personally like to replace the texture of an unused object with a low res picture of my cat and place it in a hidden room.

@hobomaster22 likes putting pics of his cats in his maps. As for me, almost every map I've made since 2014 has an easter egg/joke in there somewhere. It's a neat little thing to do, sometimes it's poking fun at someone, sometimes it's changing the map a bit, sometimes just a small joke, probably the most meaningful one is a tribute to the late DemonSphere (RIP).

The only time I've ever added an "Easter egg" inside of my DooM wads was the Dynamite pony Easter eggs hidden among most of the levels in TMoD episode 0, my very first ever wad I released here on DooMWorld (well technically tied first but TMoD EP. 0 was made first >_>).

I will be adding a few silly jokes/hidden secrets inside of the newest TMoD 3D project I'm working on... though that'll be AFTER I've finished the maps.