Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
incel

Is it possible to create space above space?

Question

I didn't make a single doom map, so my best guess is through some texture trickery, but I kinda have a feeling, that it's easier than it seems.

goal.png

8 answers to this question

It depends on what you want to do with it! If you’re using a vanilla style, you have to trick Doom into doing this - it’s easier to do it if it’s decoration and not something that you want the player to walk on. Have a look for topics on midtexture bridges, like this one: 

If you’re using GZDoom then have a look for “3D floors”, which you can use to put a solid platform between a floor and a ceiling.

If it's just "room over room" then create a dummy sector outside the map and set one of the linedefs to "3D floor" (I forget it's full name. I usually just press 3 and then select the one that DOESN'T say midtex). (of course make sure the tags are correct).

As a bonus, 3D floors/sectors allow you to have floating, swimmable water in the air because why not!

For original DOOM or BOOM you can use some hackery.

For GZDoom, Dragonfly not only shows you how to construct a 3D floor, but also how to slope them

https://www.dfdoom.com/tutorial-sloped-3d-floors/

Using DoombuilderX or GZDoom Builder - Bugfix, select Doom (Doom in Hexen) format or DOOM (UDMF) format for your map.

Edited by Kappes Buur

Thanks everybody, I want to have an arch / gate in the open field (Imagine stonehedge), without possibility to climb on it and near the taller structure.

On 9/21/2019 at 5:12 AM, incel said:

Thanks everybody, I want to have an arch / gate in the open field (Imagine stonehedge), without possibility to climb on it and near the taller structure.

Again, please specify which source port you're creating your map for. If your map is for "vanilla" DooM (or its nearest derivatives, such as BooM) you will need to use texture trickery to achieve the illusion of your arch. Look at this picture for an example. Basically, the "arch" in the middle is created with multiple lines placed very close to each other, and each using the arch texture. Creating the blocking for such a structure in vanilla DooM is quite challenging.

If you wish to use a source port that supports "true" 3D structures (such as GZDooM), you can create a realistic arch that a player can walk under as well as atop. Here is a picture of a 3D arch. And here is a picture of an arched bridge.

On 9/21/2019 at 4:12 AM, incel said:

You don't really need 3d floors for that sort of thing, unless you want the player to be able to see over the top of the structure as well, you could do something like this in basically any format, just put a sky texture on the ceiling of all the areas you want to have the skybox then for the actual structure give every sector of it a lower ceiling height and apply the appropriate texturing. If you want certain sides of the structure to look lower then draw a separate sky sector around them and make it lower, but make sure that if you do it this way the player's eye height is never level with it or they won't be able to see around it which could look weird

also, zdoom's portals can simulate something similar very easilly, using portals to make it look like you just went bellow another sector can be way more usefull than 3d floor, since you can still freely and easily modify both the floor and ceiling of the sectors, while using 3d floor you would be forced to create more of them if you wanted more detail, it's just way less tedious

Edited by ([zen3001])