Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Denim Destroyer

Doom now officially set in Stone

If the slab was an actual cut out of the Doom cover art, similar to what @Mr. Freeze showed, I would've been REALLY impressed! The fact that a multi-million dollar company is only willing to put this little effort into making a collectible is very disappointing, but not surprising.

Fuck off, Bethesda. Cheap cash-in, just like the official shirt with the titlepic work on it. The RedBubble design I picked up a while ago looks better and used better fabric.

How grand!

Gonna set this right between my Super Smash Bros. limited edition granite monolith and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter fossilized pine-cones.

Spoiler

I want off this roller-coaster, but the brakes, they do not work

On 9/20/2019 at 6:51 PM, Mr. Freeze said:

dqref1.jpg

The only Doom stone I want.

Weren't you the one to say that "In my reality, I can't be a pants, if no one knew how many my be may be my pants?" Just kidding XD

Imagine paying $65 for a slab of stone!

Bethesda find more and more easy ways to milk their fans from cheap garbage, but these these creepy greedy motherbanging mutant bastards wankers can't freaking re-release The Wolfenstein back on steam, or hell, on ANY store for that matter once they bought the rights from Activision, no matter how long the fans been begging them to.

Makes me respect these assholes less than Activision and Valve even. Now the ol' fine good crafted masterpiece is now almost completely forgotten by most, and the only possible way to get it is through torrent. :/

37 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Bethesda find more and more easy ways to milk their fans from cheap garbage, but these these creepy greedy motherbanging mutant bastards wankers can't freaking re-release The Wolfenstein back on steam, or hell, on ANY store for that matter once they bought the rights from Activision, no matter how long the fans been begging them to.

Makes me respect these assholes less than Activision and Valve even. Now the ol' fine good crafted masterpiece is now almost completely forgotten by most, and the only possible way to get it is through torrent. :/

Activision were the publishers for Wolfenstein (2009). Logic dictates that means they still have the publishing rights for that game, and thus Bethesda wouldn't be allowed to republish it. You're preaching to the choir, by all likelihood.

23 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Activision were the publishers for Wolfenstein (2009). Logic dictates that means they still have the publishing rights for that game, and thus Bethesda wouldn't be allowed to republish it. You're preaching to the choir, by all likelihood.

The moment they buy the rights from Activision for the whole of Wolfenstein, is when the Bethesda becomes the responsible for not re-publish it. When the purchase was made was also the time the game was pulled out of steam.

I have no idea what kinda gibberish you're talking about. Hell, even Activision themselves did confirm that the rights are belong to Bethesda. Here is the proof:

While they say they can offer "support" (whatever that means), they have no longer the right to sell any of the Wolfenstein titles on any possible platform.

The fans been begging Bethesda to re-publish the Wolfenstein, but despite a few tasteless words, they been too lazy and careless about both fans and potential customers to bring such classic title back. Another proof on the way:

Okay, so 2015 at the very least is when they have the rights back allegedly. That means they'd still need to go back and re-open the repo, remove/replace all the Activision references and get that compiling again, let alone replace/remove all of Activision's existing security measures, and all that for a rather average game of an already rebooted franchise. That's already a fuckton more work than commisoning a stone slab novelty item. Not exactly comparable situation.

And yes, I'm readily qualified to say reopening old repos from 2009 just to make them even compile is quite a bit of work.

On 9/20/2019 at 11:16 PM, chowbar said:

Holy shit it's not even rock, it's some fucking sand glued together lmao A+ Bethesda, great work

What are rocks but not sand glued together by nature

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Okay, so 2015 at the very least is when they have the rights back allegedly. That means they'd still need to go back and re-open the repo, remove/replace all the Activision references and get that compiling again, let alone replace/remove all of Activision's existing security measures, and all that for a rather average game of an already rebooted franchise. That's already a fuckton more work than commisoning a stone slab novelty item. Not exactly comparable situation.

I believe it was somewhere around 2012 or so, maybe even earlier, but do not take my words for that. According to wikipedia, it was even 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolfenstein , means by the 2015 they still couldn't do something as simple as republish the game in 5 years.

I believe there wasn't even any Activision references, just the classy ol' good Raven Software logo. Even if so, replacing them is not that hard and take like mere 5 minutes work to remove a few of starting up videos in the core files. Aside from that, there wasn't any, say, poster in the game with Activision. The game was rich of Heretic, Wolf 3D and RTCW references and easter eggs, though; one of the reason the game loved both by wolfenstein fans and these who play wolfenstein title for the first time, and these who actually have played it, got in a strong fanbase of this game, so it's not your "average game" as you might put it. As for "Activision's existing security measures", there are none as they don't own the game anymore lol.

23 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

And yes, I'm readily qualified to say reopening old repos from 2009 just to make them even compile is quite a bit of work.

Actually, literally this year, in august, I finally got a rare retail DVD with this game and it was an awesome blast of fun gameplay. Raven sure know how to make quality stuff. Work like clock, and there were no issues been reported from other users who get to play this game recently on a more advanced machines, even while having such failure of a system like win 10 with absolute lack of compatibility and overall awful game support for any game that wasn't specifically designed for such bad OS to begin with.

@MaxRideWizardLord Need I also point out that Bethesda are already bringing back older, long since unlisted titles: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/doom-64-switch/
It just doesn't happen to be that one specific Wolfenstein game at the moment.

32 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Actually, literally this year, in august, I finally got a rare retail DVD with this game and it was an awesome blast of fun gameplay. Raven sure know how to make quality stuff. Work like clock, and there were no issues been reported from other users who get to play this game recently on a more advanced machines, even while having such failure of a system like win 10 with absolute lack of compatibility and overall awful game support for any game that wasn't specifically designed for such bad OS to begin with.

Opening and compiling an old repo is a far different process than just running an old binary.

3 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Need I also point out that Bethesda are already bringing back older, long since unlisted titles: https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/doom-64-switch/
It just doesn't happen to be that one specific Wolfenstein game at the moment.

Seem like they are porting old games to newer consoles if anything, which is kinda meh. Knowing how hard they're failed with doom for android, it's not something to be excited for. In case of Wolfenstein, you can't buy the game anywhere, on any platform of any sort. But fine, let's hope they actually remember about that game and eventually bring it back. However If these asshats won't bring it back and completely forget about it, one day I'll trow a brick in their office window.

6 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Opening and compiling an old repo is a far different process than just running an old binary.

Can you please translate what repo means? Google being silent on this one, the yandex however said it's purchase agreement. I really doubt it will take THAT much of time for Bethesda to sell their games on steam... or origin... or gog. For crying out loud, a bunch of nerds did managed to upload a freaking cloud bitcoin mining programm disguised as their trashy "indie game project", and steam was fine with it, until it became a local meme and everybody knew about it.

20 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Can you please translate what repo means?

Repository, as in project/source repository. Usually refers to a source control system like git or perforce. Stores source code and assets.

20 minutes ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

I really doubt it will take THAT much of time for Bethesda to sell their games on steam

It took us at least a year and 3 people to do Forsaken, and that was a game we magically managed to make compile and "run" again despite that was originally made for DirectX 7. I'd hate to think what sort of middleware a 2009 game would have that no longer exists, shit gets deprecated fast. 

Edited by Edward850

4 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Repository, as in project/source repository. Usually refers to a source control system like git or perforce. Stores source code and assets.

Really? This is what yandex gave me - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repurchase_agreement

Man, I hate abbreviations with passion.

Why should they "repo" the said game? That honestly confuses me.

5 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

I'd hate to think what sort of middleware a 2009 game would have that no longer exists. 

Like I said, the game works perfect on modern hardwares, and even modern OS. I don't exactly understand why you want that to begin with. In fact, it even comes with DirectX 9, just in case. The engine it uses is modified Id Tech 4, which seem to work flawlessly on any gear and software.

Yeesh. This is overpriced junk and is yet another sign that Bethesda really doesn't regard 90s Doom as something other than a thing they can market in a lazy manner for some quick bucks, because they want to focus more on THEIR version of Doom, not something another company made. Which I suppose is better than them nearly pretending Fallout & Fallout 2 don't exist but not by much. Sure, I'm tempted by the Cacodemon bank because it's not like we'll ever get much better for classic Doom statues/toys/whatever but it's $35 for something so underpainted I'd have to take a brush to it to finish it, and that price for a rotocast hollow ball with a plastic cap is too much. This is even less effort- there are Youtube tutorials showing how to transfer a print onto a hard surface, it probably cost them a couple of dollars per to make these on the mass-produced level since it's barely expensive for a home user(if they're even buying cut stone slabs and not making them from cement, which going by above comments, they are not using cut stone) and it's........

WHY? It's horribly gimmicky. It's an overpriced piece of box art and you'll be lucky if it doesn't arrive cracked. This is one of those odd things that makes me wonder if I lie in a coma and my brain is generating a dream full of nonsense, only I realize my own brain isn't capable of this level of stupid.

They only fixed the console port issue because enough people complained. Otherwise they're pretty content to treat OG Doom as barely an entity they own, and this just shows that in volumes, hoping we'll pay high prices for novelty merchandise that earns them 90% profit, while real stuff like action figures gets limited to Doomslayer only. If it doesn't sell, they shrug and say "see? It's not profitable. The new Doom stuff does better. The original is dead in the market, we know, because we TRIED". And people say Disney treats old Star Wars bad.

The only way this could turn out worse is if handling it made you sick- OH DAMMIT! It might!

https://www.cnet.com/news/fallout-power-armor-helmet-recalled-due-to-mold/

On 9/21/2019 at 3:51 AM, Mr. Freeze said:

(DOOM 3 soul cube Martian cracked tablet)

The only Doom stone I want.

Yeah but that's from DOOM 3, we all know how DOOM 3 was a failure and is dead because it was the black sheep and too slow and pitch black, none of the rip and tear madness unless we count the marine being mauled by any imp. Anyone remember if there was any DOOM 3 after all?

Old days DOOM is all the rage and Bethesda knows and loves we love it, they will always cherish it and remind us they'll perpetuate it, so forget alien anomalies like DOOM 3, which know nothing of being knee deep in the dead punching imp teeth and listening to heavy metal.

34 minutes ago, printz said:

Yeah but that's from DOOM 3, we all know how DOOM 3 was a failure and is dead because it was the black sheep and too slow and pitch black, none of the rip and tear madness unless we count the marine being mauled by any imp. Anyone remember if there was any DOOM 3 after all?

Old days DOOM is all the rage and Bethesda knows and loves we love it, they will always cherish it and remind us they'll perpetuate it, so forget alien anomalies like DOOM 3, which know nothing of being knee deep in the dead punching imp teeth and listening to heavy metal.

I personally like Doom 3 more than Doom 2, it felt more polished and balanced, plus no overpowered SSG bias. Just because it's not doom 2 clone doesn't make it a bad game. Doom 2 had interesting NPC concept with unique abilities that play each  role, especially chaingunner, archy and pain elemental that aren't your average imp clone, but as game it wasn't THAT perfect from objective point of view and needed some weapon balancing (well, more like ammo balance, like in Duke Nukem 3D where a bit of everything but never too much of one thing) which didn't give much situations where weapon diversity was implemented like in some of the doom mods. For example, see: SSG.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:56 PM, chowbar said:

God, Bethesda really loves cashing in the shit out of the DOOM name and yet they couldn't even make a competent switch port of doom on the first try.

Because they no longer have John Carmack to do it over a single weekend.

4 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

Seem like they are porting old games to newer consoles if anything, which is kinda meh. Knowing how hard they're failed with doom for android, it's not something to be excited for.

Night Dive is involved with this port, IIRC (My memory is maybe tricking me, though). So we are completely unsure about the result right now, but we have hope for it to be a decent remaster.

And on the day the phrase "shameless cash grab" was redefined, we could not even act shocked.