Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotsauce

need help with ultimate doom

hi. i've been trying to run 'ultimate doom' on my computer & for some reason it just 'aint working. i'm using windows XP; the game runs fine until i add sound, at which point it starts dramatically slowing down & 'stuttering'. turn off the sound FX- it's fine again, but playing with no sound... sucks. i also have doom II & the even less-technical wolfenstein on my comp, and both of those work without any problems. another potential clue: i have the doom 95 launcher installed (seperately), and although it has it's own ultimate doom wad file, it fails to recognize the game (not in the pull-down menu). beats the poop outta me. :(

XP has limited DOS support so playing with your regular Doom.exe will cause it to be slow. Just download a "source port" (the words DOOMWORLD in my signature contain 9 popular source ports) and put it in the same directory as your Doom.wad file and it should run just fine. Be sure to follow the instructions included with each port as some have special instructions. Thank you and have a nice day and enjoy Doom.

What game DOES your Doom95 launcher recognise? Basically, make sure that all main .wad files (Doom.wad and Doom2.wad by the sounds) are in the same folder as Doom95.exe, and you should be fine.

Yeah, Zdoom is good, togther with legacy, these are the best for singeplay. But I also use doom2.exe and prboom. :)