Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Favorite Fighting Game?

azixibvue9n31.jpg

MK3 and it's spinoffs (Trilogy, UMK3 etc) gave me the most fun I've ever had with a fighting game. 

im terrible at these games

loved tekken 3, cool characters and too early for that endless wall-juggling system to have kicked in

street fighter is the main series i watch other people play;

people say it's skill-less or whatever but you always see the same people in the top 8s and top 24s so it's probably just bitter people chatting
darkstalkers is sexiest =P

im not an action game player at all, precision is nothing like what i want out of gaming lol

Street Fighter 2

Mortal Kombat 1/2/3

Street Fighter Alpha 2

X-Men vs. Street Fighter

Marvel vs. Capcom

SNK vs. Capcom

Street Fighter 3 -Third Strike 

Rival Schools

Darkstalkers

Killer Instinct 

Tekken 3

King of the Monsters 1/2

TMNT: Tournament Fighters

Soul Blade/Soulcalibur

I'm not that experienced in fighting games, but I guess puyo puyo(2) counts?

It's a puzzle fighting game, so I personally think it does.

I spent many many hours playing Super Smash Bros Melee competitively, so that game has a pretty special place in my heart and memories. otherwise, I really love a lot of the Street Fighter games, especially the Marvel crossover ones:

Street Fighter Alpha 2/3

Street Fighter 3 - Second Impact

Marvel Super Heroes

X-Men vs Street Fighter

Marvel vs Street Fighter

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Street Fighter V

Neo Geo: Street Fighter Alpha 3

16bit: Mortal Kombat II

32bit: Tekken 3

128bit: Tekken 5

This time: Killer Instinct, probably.

One Must Fall 2097. The tournament mode is great with the pilot and robot development. Maybe I like it because it's so simple and easy to learn game. Sure there are some special (and basic) moves that are easily exploited, at least against computer enemies.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1076550/SAMURAI_SHODOWN_V_SPECIAL/

This is the game that made me purchase a Razer Panthera EVO. I've been playing it religiously ever since I purchased it, and have had many excellent matches against the very best players in both North America and Europe. I dunno if it's my favorite fighting game of all time, but it's by far my favorite video game at the moment. KOF 98 and Street Fighter 4 are both also way up there. 

Melty Blood. A game I was so devoted to that I was part of the unofficial translation team... which got fucked when it got officially licensed and translated... somewhat poorly.

Considering the guys behind the unofficial translation also were behind the Fate/Stay Night fan translation, there probably should've been a little weight given to us. Alas.

Anyway, here's a primer for those interested.

It's made by the same guys who did Under Night In-Birth, for the record (as you may have recognized by seeing Sion in the video thumbnail, or as she's called in UNIB, "Eltnum"). It predates that, but it's gotten no less than five or so versions, including several in arcades.

Edited by Dark Pulse

Melty Blood looks pretty good. I know a few people in the Samurai Shodown Discord who are really into it, though I recall hearing from someone that the netcode isn't very good. Netcode is extremely important to me when it comes to fighting games and I wish more developers would embrace rollback netcode over delay-based netcode. SSVSP's netcode from Code Mystics is easily the best I've ever experienced in a game, including GGPO. It's awesome that I can have 250 ping matches against players across Europe and have it feel no different from local play.  

I apologize for doing this, but I should have posted this introductory video in my previous post. 

Eternal Champions is overdue for a modern-day reimagining. Clayfighter is as well, though a PC exclusive game was announced a few years ago. It looks like the project fell through though. 

Third Strike 100%.

I enjoy playing as Ryu, Urien, Makoto, Ibuki, and Oro.  I played a lot of guilty gear and mortal kombat, but this game was downright difficult to play and remains the deepest fighting game to ever grace the earth.  Like Doom, I feel like it is ultimately a timeless game destined for eternity.

16 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Melty Blood looks pretty good. I know a few people in the Samurai Shodown Discord who are really into it, though I recall hearing from someone that the netcode isn't very good. Netcode is extremely important to me when it comes to fighting games and I wish more developers would embrace rollback netcode over delay-based netcode. SSVSP's netcode from Code Mystics is easily the best I've ever experienced in a game, including GGPO. It's awesome that I can have 250 ping matches against players across Europe and have it feel no different from local play.  

The stock Melty netcode is so-so, but with Caster it's apparently quite solid. I never got into the whole competitive play side of things, so I can't really speak to that aspect of it. I enjoy it more because I'm a whore for Nasu's work.

6 minutes ago, Ajora said:

Eternal Champions is overdue for a modern-day reimagining.

That actually would be interesting to see. EC CD may well have the most violent fatalities of any 2D fighting game.

For those of you who've not seen those... hoo boy.

I'll get very specific: Mortal Kombat: Deception. They integrated puzzle combat and chess combat. They stole more Killer Instinct fighters like Darius as Fulgore and well Lei Mae was already Kim Woo. They also had that big open world game. Sonya and Kano had a kid named Kira. Cage and Sonya had a kid named Kobra. Lots of forgotten UMK3 fighters were added. Fighters actually had fatalities and two of them instead of the previous game's one. The fatalities weren't particle effect displays like the previous game. Deception went full on female version of male characters, Frost is a femme Sub-Zero. Ashrah plays like a female Raiden. Zombie Liu Kang felt fresh. They had a bonus disc with a making of and a roster of all the past and present fighters with interviews from the actors.

Then Mortal Kombat: Unchained made it better with 4 more characters... just a shame it was on PSP.

Beyond that? UMK3 and MK2 were great and I prefer the Mortal Kombat series as a whole even if the low point was Armabeddon... because it had an overwhelming amount of characters from the start and poor create a fatality and create a fighter. You'd think both would be awesome, but no. It lacked wow factor.

Edited by geo

On 9/21/2019 at 1:22 PM, Tango said:

I spent many many hours playing Super Smash Bros Melee

Same here. I never got 'good' per se, but among people who play Smash games casually I can win sometimes.

I play Tekken on the arcade machines when one shows up but never got good at it. Street fighter I am still trying to learn how to do a hadooky.

edit: f 'no items final destination' i always make a point of adding all the items back in

9 hours ago, Eurisko said:

Tekken 2. Iconic and groundbreaking . Still play it to this day, and THAT intro......

I listen to this video a lot.

Mortal Kombat. Not sure which ones tbh. The old ones are classics but are damn hard. MK 3 added a ton of new features such as the run button, combo's ect but the Kombat Kodes is a weird feature that i didn't like. Also some of the console variants of 3 suck imo. I remember playing MK Trilogy on N64 years ago and it was bad. It could just be old memories or the fact that i sucked, who knows lol. 

The new ones seem like they would be fun though. I can't really say as i've only played MK 9 (2011) but i did enjoy it alot. I've been meaning to play MK: XL but i just haven't gotten around to it. It's already installed on my PC lol.

I like brawlers more such as Streets of Rage, ect. The "odd" soundtrack to SOR 3 is also kickass.

For Super Smash Bros. i've only really played the N64 one as i didn't have a GameCube (i chose a PS2 instead and GTA III was my first game for it back in early 2002). But i did love playing the original Smash Bros. a lot. Kirby was one of my fav characters. Don't know why lol. I have played Melee, just not a whole lot. I missed out on Nintendo from that era onward (up til current).

EDIT: Soulcalibur on Dreamcast is fun and Killer Instinct on SNES is fun too (i know it's way better in arcades though).

Edited by CyberDreams : update

CAPCOM

VS.

SNK 2

Keep rockin', baby!

Some of my other favourites:

Dragon Ball FighterZ

Killer Instinct

King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match

Mortal Kombat 9

Soulcalibur II

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Tekken 3

Ultra Street Fighter IV

This thread seems familiar... anyhoo:

Street Fighter 3rd Strike is probably my favorite, next to UMK3. Had a lot of great times playing Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and Marvel vs. Capcom online with kaillera way back when too. I miss playing on kaillera. All Capcom fighters were set to free play, Turbo 2 and no flickering in the dipswitch options for Mame lol.