Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Supercharge [gameplay mod | v3.0b 07/16/23 multiplayer fix]

1 minute ago, Firedust said:

@Tango, did you keep the same spread for the AR tho?

ah good question. the new spread is now always 3 for both horizontal and vertical spread, which is the same spread as the middle shot in the old burst. I am considering messing with making the spread slightly tighter to start and spread out a teeny bit more the more you shoot successively, but we'll see if I get to that or how I like it

I have a question about the new AR, after having played with it for a bit (both in my map intended for it, and with maps not intended for it through the randomizer): Does it do less damage than the previous AR? Because i've noticed using the damage numbers mod, that the last two (or just the last one? can't recall it correctly) shots in the old AR's burst dealt more than 20 damage (which i could be wrong about actually, i've overlooked things like these in the past), while the new AR deals 20 consistent damage throughout since it's fully automatic. 

On another note, the Stomper feels AMAZING to use, and the drawbacks make it a perfect sidegrade to the rocket launcher. I probably don't have the wiggle room to make it fit in with the map i'm working with, but i'd imagine it'd be extremely fun to work with next time i make a map with this mod.

Two little things to note: pretty minor, but you might wanna update the chaingun guy's description (and name) in the monster info section :P

Also, you said you fixed those errors that show up when you start up UDB using Supercharge... but it's actually gone from 75 errors to 95 in updating to this version.

3 hours ago, MattFright said:

Does it do less damage than the previous AR? Because i've noticed using the damage numbers mod, that the last two (or just the last one? can't recall it correctly) shots in the old AR's burst dealt more than 20 damage (which i could be wrong about actually, i've overlooked things like these in the past), while the new AR deals 20 consistent damage throughout since it's fully automatic.

Yeah, the old 3-round burst used to do more damage. As far as I know, the first round was 20 damage, second was 24, and third was 26. And you could empty that clip of 45 in about 7.5 seconds, totaling 1,050 damage, (versus the 7 seconds it takes to empty 1 and half clips of the new (30 round) fully-auto AR, totaling 900 damage). So, the damage overall has been slightly nerfed, but the increased speed and ability to properly stun-lock an enemy now is more than enough compensation, in my humble opinion. You could always go in and adjust the settings on your end if you wanted, and bump the damage to say... 22 or 23.   

3 hours ago, MattFright said:

Also, you said you fixed those errors that show up when you start up UDB using Supercharge... but it's actually gone from 75 errors to 95 in updating to this version.

I think that issue stems from not loading the gzdoom.pk3 as a resource in your map format (in UDB). You should be able to find it (along with others like lights.pk3, brightmaps.pk3, etc.) in your main gzdoom directory. As far as I know, you want to click the "Exclude this resource from testing parameters" when you add gzdoom.pk3 though (someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong).

4 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

So, the damage overall has been slightly nerfed, but the increased speed and ability to properly stun-lock an enemy now is more than enough compensation, in my humble opinion. You could always go in and adjust the settings on your end if you wanted, and bump the damage to say... 22 or 23.   

Ah, okay. I mostly noticed this because it seemed to have affected the tight ammo balancing in my map, i think i'll still update and just tweak that damage value a bit.

4 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I think that issue stems from not loading the gzdoom.pk3 as a resource in your map format (in UDB). You should be able to find it (along with others like lights.pk3, brightmaps.pk3, etc.) in your main gzdoom directory. As far as I know, you want to click the "Exclude this resource from testing parameters" when you add gzdoom.pk3 though (someone can correct me on that if I'm wrong).

I see, thanks for the help with that :)

I miss the old rifle already. :( I don't know if this is within the scope of this mod, but what about an alt-fire which which either toggles or fires a 3 round burst with tighter spread? Or as @Tango mentioned above, having the initial few shots be more accurate. Right now it feels like the first bullet often deviates too much from the target, making the Shotgun more consistent at medium range.

I definitely prefer the new AR over the old one. It just makes much more sense, while the old one felt like a superfluous piece to the combat puzzle.

I don't know if it is me but I prefer the old AR sprites over the new one. I think the static sprite looks good but the reload animation sprites look not so good.

Gameplay wise, I prefer the new AR because I can finally fire continuous now. With that being said, I do think that it could use less spread (near zero spread) for starting 2-3 bullets because both the Doom's chaingun and ARs in most modern games have this. And the spread shouldn't max out to more than where it is right now (3 for both horizontal and vertical spread) because I already think the spread is too high.

I like the new sprite and reload animation, although I can see how that is subjective. As for the Rifle's behaviour, I have a few comments after playing a bit more:

• 22 damage feels like the sweet spot, so that it's able to 2-shot the Plasma Trooper instead of leaving him with 4 HP left. It's similar to how the Plasma Rifle felt much better after going from 28 to 30 damage at which point it could 2-shot 60 HP Imps. Either that or reducing Plasma Guy's HP down to 40. He is quite beefy compared to the Shotgunner.
  • Having the first 2 bullets be accurate like the vanilla Chaingun would be perfect. Right now there is no control over the spread, and it doesn't feel good when you want to take out that Shotgunner but your first bullet misses.
  • The clip size feels too small. At 30, it lets you pump out 600 damage before reloading. That's enough to kill one Mancubus if every single shot hits. In comparison, the Shotgun is able to pump out 720 damage before reloading, and that's a lower-tier weapon. This makes the Rifle quite weak at holding back enemies and often leaves you reloading with your pants down before being able to clear out a small group of low-tiers or getting eaten by Pinkies. The old Rifle could pump out 1050 damage before having to reload and consistently take out 15 dudes or any non-boss enemy before a reload. If the current Rifle's clip returned to 45, it would still only output 900 damage before a reload. I don't feel like that would be overpowered. That would put it between the Shotgun and the Plasma Rifle in damage per clip capacity.
  • For now, I change my version to 22 damage with a spread of 2 and a 45 ammo clip, and it feels pretty good. Though spread increasing from 0 to 3 would be really cool, but outside of my basic editing ability.

Also, would it be possible to add a deep water on/off toggle under the compatibility options?

15 hours ago, Spectre01 said:
  • Having the first 2 bullets be accurate like the vanilla Chaingun would be perfect. Right now there is no control over the spread, and it doesn't feel good when you want to take out that Shotgunner but your first bullet misses.

Making the AR more precise would potentially devalue the pistol, which would be a shame. I really like how the pistol with it's 100% accuracy serves as a long rang sniping weapon.

15 hours ago, Spectre01 said:
  • The clip size feels too small. At 30, it lets you pump out 600 damage before reloading. That's enough to kill one Mancubus if every single shot hits. In comparison, the Shotgun is able to pump out 720 damage before reloading, and that's a lower-tier weapon. This makes the Rifle quite weak at holding back enemies and often leaves you reloading with your pants down before being able to clear out a small group of low-tiers or getting eaten by Pinkies. The old Rifle could pump out 1050 damage before having to reload and consistently take out 15 dudes or any non-boss enemy before a reload. If the current Rifle's clip returned to 45, it would still only output 900 damage before a reload. I don't feel like that would be overpowered. That would put it between the Shotgun and the Plasma Rifle in damage per clip capacity.

I think just looking at the damage it can shell out is a bit too simple in context of the whole arsenal. To me the main purpose of the AR is keeping the enemies in the pain state as much as possible, with damage an secondary objective.

That of course doesn't mean that the current iteration of the AR shouldn't get a close inspection and get tuned accordingly ;)

9 minutes ago, boris said:

Making the AR more precise would potentially devalue the pistol, which would be a shame. I really like how the pistol with it's 100% accuracy serves as a long rang sniping weapon.

9 minutes ago, boris said:

I think just looking at the damage it can shell out is a bit too simple in context of the whole arsenal. To me the main purpose of the AR is keeping the enemies in the pain state as much as possible, with damage an secondary objective.

I agree 100% with both boris' statements.

35 minutes ago, boris said:

Well right now, the chaingun devalues the AR because it isn't much more inaccurate than the AR.

37 minutes ago, boris said:

To me the main purpose of the AR is keeping the enemies in the pain state as much as possible, with damage an secondary objective.

Pretty much what chaingun also does. The only real advantage AR has right now is that it is a bit more ammo efficient.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Well right now, the chaingun devalues the AR because it isn't much more inaccurate than the AR.

Pretty much what chaingun also does. The only real advantage AR has right now is that it is a bit more ammo efficient.

Well yeah, but the chaingun doesn't exist by default, and balancing the weaponry against a weapon that doesn't exist seems to be a bit of a moot point. In the end it all depends on what purpose @Tango wants the AR to fulfill.

Oh man! a new update to one of my favorite mods with new guns/sprites included!!!? lets fucking go!!

I will give it a proper test session and will share my feedback later since I haven't played much doom as I would like but hopefully I can test this version soon.

@Tango I also noticed you mentioning the chaingun was a mistake and it might be, however I believe Aurelius introduced a nice chaingun concept on his magnum opus map and I think if you overhauled the chaingun to be the same or very similar to what he used you could end up with something very cool, maybe have the mastermind drop it in UV randomize (or just regular UV too) so that way you can control the ammo count of such a powerful weapon and give the demons a taste of their own medicine, Plus imagine what type of cool fights mappers can come up with using that gun. TBH Aurelius introduced very cool gun concepts with the chaingun and the Railgun that I though you were the one behind it all but I just noticed he has such passion for this mod and understands it so well that he basically created weapons that could fit this mod perfectly. Please make the railgun a reality. (If you want to of course)

P.S. Im excited to try the rocket launcher and see what changes/additions you made.

Edited by TheHit_61x

Hello, I love this mod!

Like some other users said, I agree on that making the new Assault Rifle more accurate at first few burst (but still less accurate than the pistol)

Are there plans to expand the classic-style HUD to accommodate the additional ammo types? I've been playing around the the UV-Random setting and it would be nice to see Scrap/Stomper ammo on the list with the others. I could've sword I've seen another SC mod showing all 6 ammo types.

Just messed around a few doom2 levels with ultrarandom mode, didn't notice many changes to the enemy spawns. maybe that becuase it was the starting levels and it can't change low tier enemies? Anyways seems like most of the weapons are a bit buffed up but a little less accurate. the shotgun has vertical spread, and the bullet weapons don't have first shot perfect accuracy. the main reason i use the chaingun in vanilla is tap fire it for accurate shots, unless i'm going for close range stunlock. The other bullet weapons all pale in comparison to the new clearly best bullet weapon, the pistol! I went from barely ever using the standard pistol to using it around 75% of playtime going through the first four or so levels in doom2. the perfect accuracy, reliable damage (2 shots for zombies, 3 for imps, 4 for chaingunners), fires as fast as you can click, and fast reload all make it amazing for clearing out low tier enemies. It feels really rewarding to use too since if you don't clear the enemies fast its all on you, and not random damage or weapon spread. I tried binding the shoot key to the mousewheel but it didn't work for some reason. If i could get that working it would be even more effective vs monster with bigger health pools. Anyone know why the mousewheel as the shoot key doesn't work?

The spread rocket launcher seems really powerful and gives pain state. The plasma shots sprite being smaller is a huge QOL buff, makes it alot easier to see and react to things when firing. The Autoshotgun weapon was really fun to use, reminds me of the shotgun from Ion Maiden (or whatever the name got changed to). Really nice mod glad I tried it out.

How do you use this mod while playing custom wads?

Edited by donevan427

a very belated thank you to everyone who's weighed in on the AR! it's been really helpful to hear everyone's opinions on the feel and balance of the changes.

as far as AR damage and clip size go... I think I am still leaning toward keeping it as-is. weaker though it may be now, I just enjoy the full-auto nature of it a lot more myself, and I'm also ok with bringing the overall damage of the AR down (it was pretty bonkers before, compared to vanilla) if I can do so without making the gun feel unfun or particularly weak. still being able to one-clip a mancubus (even if it requires all bullets hitting) feels sufficiently strong to me I think, and I really like the combo flexibility that the auto nature affords you.

as far as the spread goes... I think I'll give the first few shots a bit tighter spread, but my feelings are pretty close to boris' there in that I think making the first few shots pinpoint accurate would devalue the pistol a lot. I will definitely play around with it though, and I am very grateful again for everyone's feedback!

On 12/1/2020 at 4:38 PM, TheHit_61x said:

maybe have the mastermind drop it in UV randomize (or just regular UV too) so that way you can control the ammo count of such a powerful weapon and give the demons a taste of their own medicine, Plus imagine what type of cool fights mappers can come up with using that gun.

oooo that would be awesome. I'm definitely thinking about porting the minigun over - at least to give mappers another tool to work with - and making the mastermind drop it on randomized would be perfect. I'll think on this one for sure :D I am certainly gonna add in the quad damage powerup though, maaybe the railgun too. the additions Aurelius made in Ar Luminae are so well done!

On 11/29/2020 at 3:43 PM, Spectre01 said:

Also, would it be possible to add a deep water on/off toggle under the compatibility options?

I am unfortunately unable to think of a way I could make this a toggle :( the way terrain splashes are done is a totally different system from all the weapon and monster behavior, and it doesnt seem to support the same sorts of toggles. on the next version, I can see about at least providing a separate wad to load on top of supercharge to disable this.

7 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Are there plans to expand the classic-style HUD to accommodate the additional ammo types? I've been playing around the the UV-Random setting and it would be nice to see Scrap/Stomper ammo on the list with the others. I could've sword I've seen another SC mod showing all 6 ammo types.

the next RC of Mapwich 2 (whenever Bridge releases it) will have a custom OTEX-based classic style HUD with the scrap ammo count in there, but I think adding the custom counts in there for all wads generally will be tough to do well. the variability in status bars across wads means that constructing an expanded ammo panel that looks consistently good or sensible will be basically impossible :( however, in a future version I might add a toggle to just turn on a supercharge-specific, custom version of the classic HUD that does include all the new ammo counts. we'll see though!

4 hours ago, donevan427 said:

How do you use this mod while playing custom wads?

the only things to note when you're playing supercharge with custom level sets is that you should load supercharge last in the load order. so if you're playing with Speed of Doom for example, load SoD first, then supercharge. otherwise you're good to go! just beware that any mapsets with their own built-in gameplay changes may have varying levels of brokenness with supercharge, but it depends on how extensive the changes are.

I'll mention a suggestion heard from a streamer who played with Supercharge not too long ago. They expressed an issue with the pumping sound, after every shot, of the regular Shotgun being too loud. It's not something I personally find bothersome but agree that it is quite noticeable. Just something to consider.

Just played the paradise mapset, not in the mood for slaughter maps so I didn't have much fun playing the main maps. there well designed and all just wasn't feeling the number of enemies. The bonus maps I had a blast playing though. I really think this weapon set shines with a lower monster count.

thanks so much @donevan427 :D yeah in hindsight I think I should have done a better job balancing the lower difficulties in Paradise to make it much less slaughtery or challenge-oriented in the later maps, but such is life. but I'm glad to hear you had a good time in the bonus maps!

@thelazyqdude you're a saint, thanks so much :D

@marcinszwede thanks mate!! good question. I'm focusing mainly on mapping right now, so supercharge updates have been slow. there are a few things I'm very slowly working on with supercharge - like some monster damage buffs and some possible new monster types - but it's going at a snail pace because I've been focusing on finishing this current mapset I'm doing. at the very least, there will likely be a minor update in January, but we shall see!

While we wait for the next official update, I'll share this small modification I made for personal use, which @Tango said is fine to post here. The aim was to improve the balance as a gameplay mod, as some of the enemies did less damage than their vanilla friends. These are mostly consistency changes to damage values.

Here is a changelog with explanations:

Spoiler

Assault Rifle: Bullet spread reduced from 3 to 2 for better mid-range consistency. Pistol is still better for pinpoint sniping. Reduced weapon pickup ammo from 20 to 10. This change sneaked in with the addition of the Chaingun, which flooded the player with bullets from dead Chaingunner enemies.

BFG: Main projectile damage up from 400 to 450 (vanilla range is 100-800). Projectile should fly straight instead of arcing upwards ever so slightly.

Plasma Zombie: Reduced HP from 44 to 40 so he doesn't always eat 3 Rifle bullets. Increased damage from 6 to 9 to be consistent with the Shotgunner/Chaingunner per-bullet damage.

Imp: Increased damage from 12 to 14 to closer reflect the average of the 3-24 vanilla damage range.

Baron/Hell Knight/CyBaron: Melee up from 40 to 45 to be more consistent with average vanilla damage of 10-80. Projectile up from 32 to 36 to average vanilla range of 8-64.

Cacodemon types: Melee up from 28 to 35 (vanilla range is 10-60).

Tortured Soul: Projectile up from 20 to 22 to average Caco vanilla range of 5-40. (I'd round up to 23 but 22 is a nicer number.)

Lost Soul: Melee up from 12 to 14 to average vanilla range of 3-24.

Monster rocket (Cyber-variants): Direct damage up from 80 to 90 (vanilla range is 20-160). Splash damage up from 96 to 128 as in vanilla. Blast radius is still 96 unlike the vanilla 128 to remain consistent with SuperCharge rocket changes.

Revenant: Melee up from 28 to 33 to average vanilla range of 6-60. Projectile up from 40 to 45 (vanilla range is 10-80). Projectile is now solid as per PRBoom+ translucency conventions. 

Mancubus: Projectile up from 24 to 36. Look at how they massacred my boy! (vanilla range is 8-64).

Arachnotron: Projectile up from 20 to 22 (vanilla range is 5-40).

Download Link: See update below.

Edited by Spectre01

Minor and likely final update for v2.7's vanilla compatibility.

Changelog:

Pinky/Spectre: Now always bites for 22 damage rather than his random vanilla bite of 4-40. Bite speed is now in line with Valiant's MechaPinky (he was doing insane melee DPS before). This has nothing to do with me dying in seconds to what should have been a simple Pinky trap. :P

HK/Baron: Melee attack reverted to vanilla mechanics, so now they throw their projectile if their enemy is out of melee range instead of swiping at the air. The issue I noticed was Revenants were beating Hell Knights like hotcakes while our goat friends could barely get an attack off, which wasn't right.   

S01Edit2 Download 

S01Edit3 Download

Edited by Spectre01 : Edit 3

Starter to play this one today. Really great mod, i love the weapon behaviour! Quick weapon change(and reload) i a godsend. Also finally a good full screen HUD with ammo option to the left and mugshot, its perfect.  I got a few suggestions tho:

-option for vanilla monster look, maybe vanilla monster stats/behaviour too?
-make chaingun to be more like chaingun from Final Doomer(doomguy weapon pack)
-option for vanilla powerups look(supercharge etc)

Oh i almost forgot: i like new assault rifle better. Reload animation, weapon look and no burst fire is great!

58 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

-option for vanilla monster look, maybe vanilla monster stats/behaviour too?

I'm no Decorator, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the new gore effects are designed around the new sprites. Sounds like you're asking for the option to just use Supercharge as a weapons mod?

58 minutes ago, Zaratul said:

-option for vanilla powerups look(supercharge etc)

On that note, the green Soulsphere and Invulnerability does create potential for confusion during hectic fights. I remember Scythe 26 having both nearby and I always pause to make sure I grab the right one.

Sounds like you're asking for the option to just use Supercharge as a weapons mod?

Exactly, that is my point.The more customisation options the better, right?

On that note, the green Soulsphere and Invulnerability does create potential for confusion during hectic fights.

Yes, thats what im talking about, color change for powerups is pointless IMO

Oh and one more thing: make fullscreen HUD in separate file pls.

Minor and likely final update for v2.7's vanilla compatibility.

Ahem, apparently not. Plasma Zombieman damage up from 6 to 9, (vanilla range is 3-15). What I did previously was up his attack origin from 8 to 9 instead, which has been reverted.

S01Edit3 Download

a very belated thank you to everyone that's been giving feedback lately!! I'm really grateful for all of the suggestions and thoughts, and @Spectre01 deserves a special shoutout for being so thorough in testing out lots of tweaks and proposing changes. I've been dedicating most of my doom time lately to mapping and have been putting off doing a lot of the supercharge maintenance that I've been wanting to do, so balance updates and the like have stalled a bit. however, I'll aim to put out an update sometime in the next few weeks, which ought to include some slight buffs to monster damage, as well as the new Grenadier enemy which you can get a glimpse of here:

I still have some things with the enemy that I need to do, such as adding brightmaps, recoloring the green armor to be in-palette with the supercharge palette, and probably other things I'm forgetting, but I hope to include the monster in this next update. and hopefully not too long after that, I'll do an update that includes another new low tier enemy whose sprites I'm getting tweaked. if any of yall are working on a supercharge mapset and would like to start using these monsters sooner rather than later, feel free to drop me a line here on doomworld and I can give you my current working version with these monsters. stay tuned!