Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Supercharge [gameplay mod | v3.0b 07/16/23 multiplayer fix]

oh god these Grenadiers look great to play against, that opens some new combat possibilities when mapping!

Oh oh, @Tango I forgot to mention, I love the new chaingun variant as well! The animations are terrific and it's much more visually interesting than that old assault rifle sprite variant that's seemingly in every other weapons mod. All these new additions are just stellar, mate. :^D

Yes, this is enemy archetype that doom is missing. I was trying to do a vanila-like version with all the features of stock doom monsters for a map but I got stuck at mapping. Grenadier could be really nice variation on Revenant / chaingunner role. Priority enemy that forces player to have better spatial awareness, but can be ignored in certain situations (he can't attack higher ground properly).

On 2/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, MattFright said:

How much damage do the grenadiers currently deal? Is it as much as, say, a cyberdemon rocket?

currently they're about half as powerful as a cyb rocket, but that will still nearly kill an unarmored player. they've got 10 impact damage, and 84 explosion damage at the center, compared to the cyb rockets which I think are 80? impact damage and an additional 96 explosion damage.

18 hours ago, namsan said:

Grenadiers look good! I seriously love this mod, so I can't wait for v2.8

thanks mate, I'm glad to hear it :D

14 hours ago, NeoWorm said:

Priority enemy that forces player to have better spatial awareness, but can be ignored in certain situations (he can't attack higher ground properly).

yes absolutely! and it feels really nice to have another low tier monster like this - I think it opens up a lot of fun possibilities for shotgun/AR maps without the grind introduced by lots of mid tiers like hell knights.

On 2/19/2021 at 3:07 AM, Biodegradable said:

Oh oh, @Tango I forgot to mention, I love the new chaingun variant as well! The animations are terrific and it's much more visually interesting than that old assault rifle sprite variant that's seemingly in every other weapons mod. All these new additions are just stellar, mate. :^D

you're too kind, glad you're enjoying it so much!!

rejoice! the Grenadier has arrived in version 2.8, which you can grab from the first post in this thread. here's a very rough changelog:

• added new enemy: the Grenadier. zombie variant with a tad more HP than a chaingunner, but wielding a grenade launcher. massive thanks to Ultra 64 for the kickass sprite work for this enemy! much like the Ogre in Quake, its grenades bounce around till losing momentum, then lay still for a few seconds before exploding. killing the enemy with an explosive attack will cause the enemy itself to explode, damaging nearby enemies (or you, if you're close enough)
    • I'm still ironing out oddities with the enemy's firing behavior and precision, so expect updates on that in future versions. the enemy current will try to fire over a crowd to hit you with its nades if it detects something in between you and it, but the behavior isn't completely faultless at the moment. let me know what sorts of odd situations you run into!
    • unfortunately since this is a brand new enemy, the only way to play with it if you're using Supercharge as a gameplay mod is in the Ultra Randomized difficulty, where it has a 20% chance to replace chaingunners.
    • Grenadiers cannot hurt other Grenadiers, otherwise it'd be nearly impossible to use them in groups. there's some bug still where they will attempt to infight each other under the right conditions, but I haven't figured out why yet
    • big thanks to @Aurelius and @RonnieJamesDiner for both independently suggesting this monster concept to me, and helping with testing!
    • I still need to add proper brightmaps for the enemy as well, so stay tuned for that in the next version
  • slightly buffed the damage done by projectiles from Draugrs (Revenants), Hell Knights, and Behemoths (Mancubi)
    • many thanks to @Spectre01 for suggestions on this front :D I'll probably do some more tweaks of this nature in the next version for other monsters
  • tweaked the Assault Rifle so that its spread grows with successive shots.
    • horizontal spread starts at 2.3, and grows to 5.2 over the course of 20 successive shots, while vertical spread is the same but multiplied by 0.8. for reference, the vanilla chaingun's horizontal spread (ignoring the first two pinpoint shots) is 5.6
    • keeping the weapon idle (but still equipped) will gradually reduce the spread back to base, and reloading resets spread back to base
      • I haven't extensively tested this change, so let me know how the spread and spread reduction rate feels!
  • fixed an issue with the vertical recoil on guns causing shots to be slightly off
    • again, big thanks to @Spectre01 for finding this bug
  • added a new low tier flyer, the Wicked, which is very similar to its incarnation in Realm667, but with a more novel attack.
    • Ultra64 did some super kickass sprite modifications for this enemy too but I've not put them in yet, so the Wicked in this version has its original, unmodified sprites by Amuscaria. once I add the new sprites in the next version, I'll show this monster off properly, but mappers can feel free to use it now anyway!

and finally, here's another brief preview of the Grenadier in its current state:

Spoiler

any and all feedback is welcome :D

Edited by Tango

2 hours ago, Tango said:

big thanks to @Aurelius and @RonnieJamesDiner for both independently suggesting this monster concept to me, and helping with testing! 

Off-topic but reading this suddenly makes me think how awesome a Tango/Aurelius/RJD collab would be. Your styles synergize well, I feel :D

I really feel like I should start making posts here to show off any new things that folks make for Supercharge, rather than just shoving them at the bottom of the first post in this thread. and what better opportunity to start doing it than with the release of Supercharged Triathlon by @Helm:

ss3.png

(screenshot shamelessly stolen from Helm's thread just so you get a lil sample here)

it's a kickass set, and very short, so you can easily blast through it in a sitting. I did a wee bit of testing for it and can wholeheartedly recommend checking it out :D

Yeah, I'm enjoying that recently released v2.8 so far. I think the new assault rifle is more fun to use, the old one was bit too inaccurate for a rifle.

Some random suggestion that I got in my head: I would like to see more dangerous pinkies/some melee-oriented enemies, with a charging ability that allows them to move very fast like a bull.

I've made a tweaked version of v2.8, improving upon my v2.7 edits, intending to balance the combat closer to vanilla when using Supercharge as a gameplay mod. These are mostly minor tweaks to enemy damage values, increasing their overall threat slightly.

Download

Changelog of what's new:

Spoiler
  • Cacodemon and Pain Elemental HP increased to their vanilla value of 400. They had 360 and 300HP, respectively, which explains why I thought PEs were popping too quickly. They still die consistently in 2 rockets or SSG blasts. 
  • Cyberdemon rocket splash is back to it's vanilla radius of 128.
  • New Assault Rifle is untouched.
  • New Pinky is untouched.

I decided to give the mod a test on one of my levels, just for fun. It largely played the same, but there was one big difference.

The change to the Arachnotron which makes the shot come from its gun means that the Arachnotron can no longer fire over walls which are 25 units higher than it is. 25 units is important because it's the exact difference at which a player/monster can't step up. This change which is supposed to be a cosmetic improvement now affects how a map is intended to play.

BCxcGyE.jpg

The Arachnotrons just to the left of the crosshair are supposed to be able to shoot at the player across these barriers. Now they're no threat at all.

Edited by Stabbey : "Before" screenshot link added

2 hours ago, Stabbey said:

The Arachnotrons just to the left of the crosshair are supposed to be able to shoot at the player across these barriers. Now they're no threat at all. 

ah, in that case you'll want to turn on the option in the "Mod Options" menu for arachnotrons to fire projectiles from their vanilla origin (I forget the exact name of the option at the moment). that ought to fix it!

1 hour ago, Tango said:

ah, in that case you'll want to turn on the option in the "Mod Options" menu for arachnotrons to fire projectiles from their vanilla origin (I forget the exact name of the option at the moment). that ought to fix it!

All right, I can add that as a note in the map's readme file to let other players know to use that setting.

1 hour ago, Stabbey said:

All right, I can add that as a note in the map's readme file to let other players know to use that setting.

I would love to find a good solution for mappers to be able to force toggle on/off settings like that with their own maps that use Supercharge (even if Supercharge is an optional load), but I'm not quite sure how I'd do that still, so that's probably the best solution for now :(

While cool from a visual standpoint, I feel like the Arachnotron's and Revenant's new attack origins create additional challenges for both mappers and gameplay modders. For instance, the Revenant's hitbox is noticeably shorter than the sprite and it seems his default attack origin is higher than the hitbox. What this means is Revenants can path through areas where their missile launcher gets stuck in the ceiling and unable to fire. If they are in a pit, they'd likely be able to attack the player while their own hitbox is low enough for them to avoid getting shot back.

The Manc's new spread and Cyber's attack origins create some interesting gameplay changes when dodging those enemies (or 2-shotting the Cyber, which feels quite different to pull off), but I'm not sure if animations syncing up are really worth it for the Tron and Rev as it affects their usability.

Obviously none of this is an issue if the compat flags are set in the options.

this is quite overdue, but @StoopidBoiEthan released a sweet new Supercharge map last month called Supercharged Radiation Factory, which you can get here:

I've still not played it myself yet as I've been doing next to no playing doom lately while I crank away on a mapset, but I watched some of Biodegradable's playthrough and it looks as fun as the screenshots would suggest :D

===========================

as far as Supercharge updates go... nothing major is on the horizon at the moment. here's some things that might be in a next version though:

• sprite modifications to the Wicked (Ultra 64 did these awesome edits to give it a spooky hood, which I think I teased in an earlier post)
  • brand new, alternative "gothic" skins for the shotgun and super shotgun (I'll probably just release these as separate wads that you can load alongside supercharge)
  • hopefully a new high tier enemy with brand new sprites, if all goes well

there's a good chance I'll finally finish and release my current mapset before I get around to releasing any of that ^^ stuff, but stay tuned!

19 hours ago, Tango said:

brand new, alternative "gothic" skins for the shotgun and super shotgun (I'll probably just release these as separate wads that you can load alongside supercharge)

A W E S O M E !!!!

A new Rocket Launcher skin would be cool, too. It's the only vanilla weapon sprite, besides the Chainsaw, left.

Something which caught my attention just now: the hitbox for the Caco's vortex projectile may be a tad too wide. It's prone to getting caught on corners and map geometry, making the SC Caco less effective than the vanilla one in the same locations.

Not to triple post, but this might be a useful question: Is there a way to restore automap colours to how they normally show up in GZDoom? I'm quite used to the default GZ/PR+ colour coding for lines.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:35 PM, Spectre01 said:

Not to triple post, but this might be a useful question: Is there a way to restore automap colours to how they normally show up in GZDoom? I'm quite used to the default GZ/PR+ colour coding for lines.

a bit slow here to reply, but! yeah you can disable this by going to Options -> Full options menu -> Automap options -> set "Allow map defined colors" to no

50 minutes ago, James Alexander said:

hi, how do i unlock the scrapgun and stomper?

If you're just using Supercharge as an ordinary gameplay mod with WADs that weren't specifically developed with Supercharge, you can't "unlock" the mod's unique weapons. You'll only ever have the base weapons. You need to play WADs like Paradise, Mapwich, Technicolor Antichrist Box and so forth that were made specifically "Supercharged" and used said specific weapons featured in the mod.

1 hour ago, James Alexander said:

hi, how do i unlock the scrapgun and stomper?

@Biodegradable is quite right, unfortunately you'd have to play a mapset that uses the weapons... with one exception! if you play something on Ultra-Randomized (the skill level that replaces Nightmare), then berserk packs will also drop a scrap gun, and cyberdemons (and masterminds maybe?) will drop the stomper

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

If you're just using Supercharge as an ordinary gameplay mod with WADs that weren't specifically developed with Supercharge, you can't "unlock" the mod's unique weapons. You'll only ever have the base weapons. You need to play WADs like Paradise, Mapwich, Technicolor Antichrist Box and so forth that were made specifically "Supercharged" and used said specific weapons featured in the mod.

Yes, thank you very much for answering both of me, I just discovered that using precisely the ultra randomized mode I can unlock the special weapons in the slots of the missile launcher and the berserk, it will also be given to you by the cyber demon and the spider mastermind

I keep forgetting to say stuff about this mod, It's really good! But I have a teeny tiny nitpick to do with the shotgun's reload, with double ammo enabled it reloads two shells at the same time but only costing 1 shell. I guess it could be used as a reason to 'discourage' Players from playing on ITYTD or enable double ammo. But like I said, It's still an amazing mod.

Edited by Codename_Delta : MERCILESSLY EXTERMINATED a typo

16 minutes ago, Codename_Delta said:

I keep forgetting to say stuff about this mod, It's really good! But I have a teeny tiny nitpick to do with the shotgun's reload, whit double ammo enabled it reloads two shells at the same time but only costing 1 shell. I guess it could be used as a reason to 'discourage' Players from playing on ITYTD or enable double ammo. But like I said, It's still an amazing mod.

The double ammo thing? Mods are not written to account for a GZDoom option like that honestly, nor  would I go out of my way to work around that option. The only cheat I write to account for is IDKFA because it's annoying dealing with residual ghost guns, and other stuff like that.

Actually, this affects anyone simply trying to play the game on I'm Too Young to Die, which automatically doubles the ammo added to players' inventory from all pickups (as an inherent part of the skill level). It affects every reloading weapon too, in fact, not just the shotgun. The assault rifle refills to a full 30 clip but only takes 15 out of your inventory, the plasma gun refills to a full 40 clip but only takes 20 out of your inventory, etc. 

So, if you're playing on ITYTD and pick up a shotgun from a pistol start, it doubles the amount in the shotgun (16), and has 8 already loaded (you have 24 shells in total). But, now because only half of the inventory is being used when reloading, those 24 shells turn into 40 shells, haha. And, it doesn't have anything to do with customizing your GZDoom options.

I can't believe I never noticed this, with how much I've used/played with Supercharge. Can't decide if this feels like a fun, helpful gimmick for ITYTD players, or something genuinely worth fixing. Very interesting find though, Codename!   

thanks for pointing this out @Codename_Delta! @kalensar is definitely right that mods don't account for that, but in this case it's more of an oversight than anything. it is admittedly going to be low on the priority list for me, but I'd love to implement a fix for this. with the added firepower of supercharge's weapons vs vanilla, I think it's probably not warranted to have double double ammo for the reloading weapons on ITYTD haha

I can't think of an easy solution off the top of my head though, outside of just removing double ammo from ITYTD, which I don't want to do. but I'll think on it!