Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Supercharge [gameplay mod | v3.0b 07/16/23 multiplayer fix]

The new gun is really cool, but why does it not have proper bullet hole decals?

edit: The ammo for it seems to be acting a bit weird as well.

Tested the weapon only version a bit and noticed a couple of issues:

1. Zombieman drops a full bullet clip on death, not a half clip like in vanilla or full version of SC.

2. The skins of Cacodemon, Hell Knight, and Arch-Vile are still replaced with the ones from SC.

Hey @Tango, this is most likely not gonna happen till next year, but I'd like to know if I could pack this in with a future mappack. I played it and enjoyed the additions!

Edited (Though it is a 50/50 i might add it, might as well ask for plans)

On 7/8/2022 at 10:14 AM, Tango said:

made some behind-the-scenes fixes to the way ammo pickups are replaced - sorry @Delfino Furioso this probably breaks your HUD mod's SC-compatibility, but the good news is now I'm doing ammo replacement properly and it shouldn't have to change ever again :D

thank you for the heads-up!

I've updated the compatibility patch for MortalHUD, the new file is available here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2474092 (could you please update your OP with this new link? the latest revision will always be available in that post)

out of curiosity: I've seen you defined the "TangoRocketAmmo" ammo pickup actor, but the "RocketLauncher" actor still uses the default "RocketAmmo" ammo type

will this change in the future, too? am I missing something obvious?

so, i usually play on HMP, but i finally tried UV-randomized to check out the SC-specific enemies, and i have to say, i really love them! the grenadier is especially great with corruption cards, since, e.g., in my current playthrough of doom 2, i've picked a card that lets zombiemen shoot grenadier projectiles, which both spices things up and creates all sorts of infighting/explosion situations if they're in a group with other enemies farther away.

so now i find myself wishing randomization was available for all difficulty levels. since doom 2 i'm already well familiar with, but if i try to play a modern mapset, UV is usually too stressful. but hey, even if that's never added, i can always just resurrect if i really get in a bind.
the wicked seems really fun too, btw, can't wait for it to actually get introduced in UV-randomized.

apologies for the very belated response here!

On 7/2/2022 at 3:52 AM, Supercharged Bj said:

@Tango i wonder how did you create the gore in this mod like its brutal doom but not so over-the-top,which is pretty satisfiying,and i wonder how can you improve on this gore ex: an imp sawing in half using the chainsaw or having burn spots when you shoot the enemy with the plasma rifle or bfg.

meant to respond to this in my last update post, but thank you :D the gib system in Supercharge is based on Ketchup (which is based on Brutal Doom? or was the basis for Brutal Doom? I'm unsure of the lineage but it's in the mix, and they're both by the same author), but with a handful of tweaks that I think make a difference:

• gibs have been toned down, without ceiling splashing gibs and blood pools on the ground. wouldn't say this is necessarily an improvement as it's pretty subjective, but noticeable nonetheless
  • gibs fly in the direction you're shooting. I think this is probably the biggest difference in terms of gamefeel. iirc, in Brutal Doom (and probably other mods with new gibs and alt deaths), when a monster is gibbed, the gibs can fly off at any random angle from 0 - 360 degrees. but if you change that so that gibs fly out in a much more narrow cone centered along the axis of your shot, then it feels a lot more responsive
  • many alt death states depend on distance checks instead of solely damage-type checks. supercharge uses a lot of damage-type checks to branch to different death states, but it also branches according to how close you were to the monster you just killed. for example, if you use a shotgun to kill an imp, your proximity when delivering that final shot determines how far back the imp flies, and which alternate death states it's most likely to play. I think a combo of damage-type + distance checks is optimal, but you can still make a pretty responsive gib and alt death system with distance checks alone in something like MBF21 which has no damage-type stuff
    • as a side-note, I think the best system would just be branching based on a monster's health before the killing blow, but unfortunately that's not easy to do in zdoom without zscript

On 7/8/2022 at 9:39 AM, Codename_Delta said:

I see that you've added a new gun:

A spoiler so people that haven't seen in yet don't get it spoiled

Reveal hidden contents

The minigun, I Give Everything'd to get all weapons and saw that there was a new gun, kinda odd that it wasn't mentioned though.

On 7/8/2022 at 3:20 PM, StoopidBoiEthan said:

The new gun is really cool, but why does it not have proper bullet hole decals?

edit: The ammo for it seems to be acting a bit weird as well.

oops, I knew I was overlooking something D: I had completely forgot I added that weapon. I don't think I've really tested it since I made the ammo fixes, so I'll look into that plus the decal issue. thanks for reporting this!

On 7/8/2022 at 5:26 PM, NovaRain said:

Tested the weapon only version a bit and noticed a couple of issues:

1. Zombieman drops a full bullet clip on death, not a half clip like in vanilla or full version of SC.

2. The skins of Cacodemon, Hell Knight, and Arch-Vile are still replaced with the ones from SC.

thanks for this report! I'll try to make an update in the next week or so that fixes these. not sure what's causing the bullet clip issue, I thought I accounted for that 🤔

On 7/18/2022 at 11:45 PM, TheGamingFox said:

Hey @Tango, this is most likely not gonna happen till next year, but I'd like to know if I could pack this in with a future mappack. I played it and enjoyed the additions!

Edited (Though it is a 50/50 i might add it, might as well ask for plans)

of course my friend! you're more than welcome to roll supercharge into your pack in whatever way suits you best, and you certainly don't need my permission. as long as you ensure that the existing credits for everyone else's work in supercharge is included appropriately, then you're all good

On 7/21/2022 at 1:26 AM, Delfino Furioso said:

thank you for the heads-up!

I've updated the compatibility patch for MortalHUD, the new file is available here:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2474092 (could you please update your OP with this new link? the latest revision will always be available in that post)

out of curiosity: I've seen you defined the "TangoRocketAmmo" ammo pickup actor, but the "RocketLauncher" actor still uses the default "RocketAmmo" ammo type

will this change in the future, too? am I missing something obvious?

hm, probably just an oversight. I'll fix that in an upcoming v2.9b in the next week or so as well. thanks for catching it!

On 7/29/2022 at 12:56 AM, Darnn said:

so, i usually play on HMP, but i finally tried UV-randomized to check out the SC-specific enemies, and i have to say, i really love them! the grenadier is especially great with corruption cards, since, e.g., in my current playthrough of doom 2, i've picked a card that lets zombiemen shoot grenadier projectiles, which both spices things up and creates all sorts of infighting/explosion situations if they're in a group with other enemies farther away.

so now i find myself wishing randomization was available for all difficulty levels. since doom 2 i'm already well familiar with, but if i try to play a modern mapset, UV is usually too stressful. but hey, even if that's never added, i can always just resurrect if i really get in a bind.
the wicked seems really fun too, btw, can't wait for it to actually get introduced in UV-randomized.

glad to hear it :D randomization for more difficulty levels is something I'd really like to have. the reason it's not already included is that I didn't want to clutter the skill select menu by doubling the amount of options, and otherwise doing a menu-based randomization system isn't very zandronum-friendly. as a band-aid fix, when I release 2.9b I can also include a small optional patch that adds randomization for the other skill levels too.

I do really enjoy the grenadiers too though - I find myself keeping them alive when I don't need to, just because the chaos created by bouncing, exploding projectiles is so entertaining. I'm not sure yet how to handle the wicked with randomization, but at the very least, my next mapset uses them pretty liberally!

i do the same with the grenadiers! it's great. the zombiemen that shoot two grenades at me in this run are the only thing that really catches me off guard, it really spices things up. and i haven't had the chance to do this with proper grenadiers yet, but it's very satisfying when i manage to trick the zombiemen to blow themselves up with their own grenades.
and, i assumed (without thinking too much about it) that the wicked would replace some of the imps, but i can see how suddenly having flying imps might be an issue for people who want to maintain the integrity of the maps.

4 hours ago, Tango said:

thanks for this report! I'll try to make an update in the next week or so that fixes these. not sure what's causing the bullet clip issue, I thought I accounted for that 🤔

When I tried to edit Supsercharge with SLADE, it reports "Error: Multiple entries named NLMGF0 found in /Sprites/WEAPONS/Nailgun/" on saving. Of course since the nailgun is not finished yet I can simply delete extra files, just another minor issue I encountered.

Little bit late to the v2.9 party, but have been enjoying my time spent with this update over the weekend. Blasted thru some select Vanguard, Dimension of the BOOMed, Running Late 2, UAC Ultra, Auger;Zenith, and of course, Paradise maps over the weekend and had a ton of fun as usual! :)

Really diggin' the new gothic shotgun skins, as well as all of the other cosmetic changes (health + ammo pickups etc.) that are new since last time - really goes the extra mile in making this feel like it's own beast rather than "just a Doom mod" if that makes sense, hahaha!

Can we expect your upcoming Supercharge mapset to drop sometime this year or are we looking forward to a 2023 release?

Hi, congrats on release of v2.9. I first became aware of this awesome mod when I tried Come Eat The Mapwich 2.

I have a question - I use Delta Touch 4.7.2 which emulates GZDoom 4.8.2. I can't seem to get the additional weapons / enemies to appear in wads when I use Supercharge. It only changes vanilla weapons and enemies with no of the extended arsenal / bestiary appearing. For example, I only see normal cyberdemons, only one type of archvile, no tortured soul enemy, chaingunners have blue skins but only ever drop the assault rifle and not the minigun (that's been added in v2.9) and so on. I never see the scrap gun or stomper appear in maps.

Sorry for the super long post. But am I missing something? I tried multiple wads, like Nova which I am playing through now. 

Could it specifically be a Delta Touch issue?

*edit* - completely missed the ultra randomized difficulty note. Will try it and see.

Edited by Doman : Didn't read comments

Hi, I think I've found a minor visual bug (only in zandronum): when I use shotgun with the gothic skin and try to reload when my ammo is full, the shotgun flashes and shows the default skin for a moment 

Briefly tried QCDE, D4T and Brutal Doom. While good in what they are, they all felt too excessive. Supercharge however felt right straight away. Chose Elementalism for the first mod to play through with it and so far they are a perfect blend. Thank you for this mod!

Would love if it wasn't altering main menu and minimal HUD. Well if it was optional for the latter. And for the former, a subsection within standard options (the way Target Spy does it) would be better than a hijacking of every main menu.

8 hours ago, eqagunn said:

would love if it wasn't altering main menu and minimal HUD. Well if it was optional for the latter. And for the former, a subsection within standard options (the way Target Spy does it) would be better than a hijacking of every main menu.

hud: open the pk3 as a zip file and remove/rename the SBARINFO file youll'find in the root directory of the archive

menu: try this 

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=76206

On 9/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, Delfino Furioso said:

hud: open the pk3 as a zip file and remove/rename the SBARINFO file youll'find in the root directory of the archive

This removed Supercharge custom HUD successfully! I only wish people wouldn't upscale their custom huds (eg. Elementalism) so UISCALE cvar can stay usable.

On 9/3/2022 at 8:47 AM, Delfino Furioso said:

It does make Supercharge options appear under default Options menu, but the main menu remains altered, and Elementalism options remain unavailable.

EDIT: Success! Edited MENUDEF a bit (disabled Zandronum part and enabled GZDoom part) and main menu is no longer altered. Both Supercharge and Elementalism options now appear.

EDIT: Completed Elementalism with Supercharge and it broke 3 maps (W3, W4, F4). Presumably due to being incompatible with custom keys and LOCKDEF. There is a short discussion about it in Elementalism thread.

EDIT: Completed Lost Civilization with Supercharge and encountered no issues!

Edited by eqagunn

On 7/30/2022 at 7:40 PM, NovaRain said:

When I tried to edit Supsercharge with SLADE, it reports "Error: Multiple entries named NLMGF0 found in /Sprites/WEAPONS/Nailgun/" on saving. Of course since the nailgun is not finished yet I can simply delete extra files, just another minor issue I encountered.

huh, I've never had issues saving in Slade, though I am using an older version at the moment. I'll add this to the list of fixes for the next version, thank for reporting!

On 7/31/2022 at 9:43 PM, Fabricator said:

Really diggin' the new gothic shotgun skins, as well as all of the other cosmetic changes (health + ammo pickups etc.) that are new since last time - really goes the extra mile in making this feel like it's own beast rather than "just a Doom mod" if that makes sense, hahaha!

Can we expect your upcoming Supercharge mapset to drop sometime this year or are we looking forward to a 2023 release?

glad to hear it :D I'd initially thought to let the new pickup sprites be just for my current mapset only but... they felt appropriate enough to be merged into the mod itself. and I think it's gonna have to be a 2023 release, unfortunately :( it's comical how many times I've increased the scope of this project at this point, but I'm really excited about all the new stuff for it that I'm (slowly) working on. it better be done in 2023 l o l

On 8/19/2022 at 3:37 PM, D4N5T3P said:

Hi, I think I've found a minor visual bug (only in zandronum): when I use shotgun with the gothic skin and try to reload when my ammo is full, the shotgun flashes and shows the default skin for a moment 

thanks for the report :D added to the list to fix

On 9/2/2022 at 4:36 PM, eqagunn said:

Briefly tried QCDE, D4T and Brutal Doom. While good in what they are, they all felt too excessive. Supercharge however felt right straight away. Chose Elementalism for the first mod to play through with it and so far they are a perfect blend. Thank you for this mod!

Would love if it wasn't altering main menu and minimal HUD. Well if it was optional for the latter. And for the former, a subsection within standard options (the way Target Spy does it) would be better than a hijacking of every main menu.

appreciate you bringing this up! the menu inflexibility especially is a result of the mod keeping compatibility with zandronum, which for some reason does not have the same generic method to add submenus to the options menu that gzdoom allows, so instead I have to put the mod options in the main menu. I really, really don't like the solution though because of the issue you're bringing up here and in the Elementalism thread. one alternative is to have separate versions of supercharge for both gzdoom and zandronum, but I also don't love the idea of fragmenting the mod in that way, because it would be more cumbersome both for myself to maintain, and for existing users to learn that there is now a distinction.

I wonder if there is a way in zscript to tell gzdoom to ignore the new main menu definitions? seems like something worth me looking into, at least

also, appreciate the discussion re: keys from you and Bauul, I'll have a look at those as well!

On 9/3/2022 at 8:03 AM, c0mbolynch said:

I love the gothic shotgun variants. Is it possible to make other weapons a gothic variant too?

I would love that, but it won't be feasible for a while unfortunately :( there was a period where I was able to commission a steady stream of work from Ultra 64 for weapon and monster sprites, but given he's been focusing extra hard on his own work lately, I've not been able to commission any work from him since last year. I've had too much Real Life going on lately to focus on finding another artist who can emulate doom's visual style really well, but I intend to do that at some point and resume sprite updates and additions

if you need anyone to chip in for commissioning new sprites, let us know. i'd be happy to do it, personally, since i've gotten a lot out of it over the past several years. though i personally like the sprites fine the way they are (but i'm averse to change of any kind).

On 9/6/2022 at 5:46 AM, Tango said:

I would love that, but it won't be feasible for a while unfortunately :( there was a period where I was able to commission a steady stream of work from Ultra 64 for weapon and monster sprites, but given he's been focusing extra hard on his own work lately, I've not been able to commission any work from him since last year. I've had too much Real Life going on lately to focus on finding another artist who can emulate doom's visual style really well, but I intend to do that at some point and resume sprite updates and additions

That's okay, I believe your mod will be an another game itself which will be more levels and speedruns for them like vanilla DooM II. I am rocking with Obsidian right now <3

After playing with the supercharge mod the last couple of days I can say that it is very satisfying, specially because all weapons and enemies it feel very vanilla and nothing feels out of place, meaning that every enemy and weapon play a specific role in the arsenal and enemy lineup respectively. Very nice mod .

As a request, can I suggest adding the Unmaker as an additional weapon?

Best regards

This mod is really cool! great job on this one, at a first glance it has a very niche thing going on for it, and I think it's pretty cool!

Perhaps add more weapons to the roster?, like a flamethrower or a black hole generator?. However, I feel the bfg is a bit weedy in terms of appearance and sound, so maybe change something regarding that. That may be because I'm spoilt by other mods. But hey, it's a fantastic mod regardless! :D

I'll be keeping track of this one.

So as I was doing some Break//Point testing today (which uses Supercharge), I noticed that the rocket launcher was aiming a bit off - it was launching rockets at a slightly higher angle than the crosshair. Its not even noticeable unless you're aiming at stuff far away.

Anyway, is this intentional? Turning off the "Weapon self-correcting recoil" option fixes the problem.

Checking the DECORATE code, it looks like the issue is that the initial pitch shift for the recoil happens before the projectile is fired:

TNT1 A 0 A_JumpIf(ACS_NamedExecuteWithResult("tango_cvar_enable_recoil") == 0, "SkipRecoil1")
		TNT1 A 0 A_SetPitch(pitch - 0.8)
		SkipRecoil1:

TNT1 A 0 A_PlaySound("weapons/rocklf", CHAN_WEAPON)
		PKRL B 2 A_FireCustomMissile("TangoWeaponRocket")

There's also 2 rocket launcher replacements (TangoRocketLauncherAlt and TangoRocketLauncher) but only the latter is used I think?

Edited by ginc

huh, thanks for catching that @ginc! definitely not intended. I think some of the other weapons used to have the same issue, so apparently I overlooked the RL. I will make that fix and roll it up into the next version

Pretty awesome mod, especially after the last updates.

The only suggestion I could give is a more powerful BFG replacement, maybe a Doom 3 like BFG with 3 different charges:

1st level : weak shoot

2nd level: standard BFG shoot

3rd level: powerful BFG shoot that requires a lot of cells, maybe with a different ammo type which might be difficult to find.

For mappers both BFGs should be present so a mapper could choose what BFG to use.

Same for end user with a switch in the options (like the chaingun replacement)

4 hours ago, Muleke_Trairao said:

Hey, @Tango! Could you add Break Point to the mapset list in the OP? They did a fantastic job! Thanks!

ey thanks for the reminder! been meaning to add this. I just added Breakpoint to the OP, as well as In The Shadow of Chaos by @Toilet_Wine_Connoisseur. thank you all for continuing to make kickass stuff for supercharge :D

On 12/20/2022 at 8:39 PM, LuciferSam86 said:

The only suggestion I could give is a more powerful BFG replacement, maybe a Doom 3 like BFG with 3 different charges:

ooo that sounds like an awesome concept - I love the idea of a weapon with multiple functions like that. I'm doubtful that I'll add any more weapons to supercharge itself, but after I finish my current project, atm my aspirations are to branch off of supercharge with a fully new arsenal. so I may well steal this BFG concept for that...