Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tango

Supercharge [gameplay mod | v3.0b 07/16/23 multiplayer fix]

5 minutes ago, Tango said:

Ultra 64 did such a fantastic job with the sprites

Agreed! I also feel like it adds a lot to the mod's unique look. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is the development on the rocket launcher going?

2 minutes ago, MattFright said:

Agreed! I also feel like it adds a lot to the mod's unique look. Also, if you don't mind me asking, how is the development on the rocket launcher going?

ah I don't mind at all! well, I feel like I'm pretty close to getting the weapon where I want it to be, but I still need to do some balancing and graphical tweaks to the thing. I originally meant for the weapon to use rockets, but I'm leaning toward giving it its own ammo type (so it'll be easier to balance independently). it therefore would be more of a weapon for mappers to use, though I'd also add it to the Ultra-Randomized difficulty too. it hasn't changed significantly since that preview video I posted on the last page, I've just been excruciatingly slow on Supercharge as a whole lately on account of my own mapping.

but hopefully the next version of Supercharge will have that new rocket launcher alternative. I'm thinking that over the next year or so for the mod, I'll probably try to focus on adding new weapons, maybe a few new monsters, and some powerups. I really want to preserve the relatively vanilla-ish flavor of the mod so that you can use it that way if you so choose, so the vanilla arsenal likely won't change much, but I'd really like if the mod had more things available to mappers so they can pick and choose what to use to craft new experiences. so, say I add a few new weapons whose niches kind of overlap with existing weapons, then a mapper could choose to omit the vanilla RL entirely in favor of the new rocket weapon, for example.

powerups are another area I want to explore, but I've not given that a ton of concentrated thought yet. for my own maps, I think it'd be great if there were some cool powerups that could support sort of metroidvania-style maps, but what those would look like exactly I'm still not sure of. things like a perma-radsuit, or a double jump item, that sort of thing. but who knows at this point 🤷‍♂️

I'm very excited for the future development of this mod then :)

And another thing i've been thinking about while mapping for Supercharge (and playing maps with it), though i'm not sure whether that's the direction you'd want to develop it (in which case i might just try to learn doom modding and give it a try myself), but i feel like the simple addition of a slow, chargeable melee weapon (a power glove of sorts maybe?) could add a lot of depth to what in vanilla is some pretty boring melee combat, i feel like it could allow combo-ing with both berserk fists or the chainsaw, and even short-ranged weapons like the super shotgun or scrap gun. I never made a doom mod so i might be totally off on this, but i feel like using it in resource scarce areas of a map or just making for a melee-focused start (such as the start of hurt.wad) would be extremely fun with a weapon like this.

4 hours ago, MattFright said:

but i feel like the simple addition of a slow, chargeable melee weapon (a power glove of sorts maybe?) could add a lot of depth to what in vanilla is some pretty boring melee combat

oooooo yeah that could be really cool! I'd have to think about what sort of thing would fit best thematically (I'd be partial to some sort of swordy thing but I'm not sure how well that'd fit, maybe I'd have to combine it with your power glove idea), but having a really satisfying melee weapon would be super fun. I will think about it for sure, thanks for the suggestion mate :D

edit: also, since I forgot earlier, @Gez you are an angel, thanks so much for that tip about brightmaps :D

Edited by Tango

6 minutes ago, Tango said:

I will think about it for sure, thanks for the suggestion mate :D

I'm glad you liked it! And either way good luck with the development of the mod, looking forward to seeing it grow!

can't wait to try this once i'm no longer dedicating all my gaming time to spelunky 2!

Awesome, cool update! I've noticed that Lost Soul HP is still at 30. Any plans to change it to 60 as previously discussed?

Edit: I noticed that the ammo count for shells appears inaccurate. In this image I have 8 in the Shotgun and 81 in reserve, while the total on the right is shown as 4/100. And it didn't change after firing.

^Disregard that.

Edited by Spectre01

@Spectre01 yeah, that lost soul hp change is still planned, Mapwich 2 is just taking a few eons ;D hopefully the next update will be the right time for the health buff.

thanks for pointing out that shell issue - I'll look into that. I also really like what you did with the primary/secondary ammo counts there, is that a mod you cooked up yourself?

1 hour ago, Tango said:

thanks for pointing out that shell issue - I'll look into that. I also really like what you did with the primary/secondary ammo counts there, is that a mod you cooked up yourself?

Well... it turns out I autoloaded fullscrn_huds.pk3 without being aware. It looks similar to the large SuperCharge HUD so there must've been a conflict. Ammo is working as intended, sorry about that!

I've noticed the Cacodemon dies in 4 good Shotgun blasts now. Was this always the case? I could've sworn it took 5 before!

Edit: Also, the rifle dropped by Chaingunners gives 20 bullets instead of 10.

Edited by Spectre01

I've been playing the ultra randomized mode with a few maps out of curiosity (even though i've had mixed experiences with randomizers in the past), and while i did enjoy it, i've got two small pieces of criticism: First off, i've noticed that the diabolist sometimes replacing the draugr breaks the flow of combat for many maps, and since it being an archvile variant it doesn't get targetted for infighting (but still gets aggroed at other demons), it makes some maps way too easy or way too tricky, so i'm not quite sure it fits as an replacement for those. Also, i've noticed how much the scrap gun shreds and becomes a bit too powerful when it shows up early on, which reminds me: For all that i dislike about Project Brutality, it does have the best randomizer i've seen out of any out there, and one of its options is to introduce more of its monsters and/or weapons as you get further into a wad, and i think an option like that could maybe be a great addition to your randomizer

@Spectre01 ah I forgot to mention that in the changelog - I buffed the shotgun damage from 84 to 90 (the value it was in Paradise v2) so that you can now do a single shotty + ssg combo to kill a rev. felt silly having revs live that with 6 hp. I didn't realize that about the rifle drops either - thanks for pointing that out! I'll look into a good way to fix that.

@MattFright cheers mate, I really appreciate the feedback :D I can totally see what you mean about the flow of combat breaking. I really wanted to slot the Diabolist in for something, but having it replace standard viles made them completely nonthreatening in most situations haha. I'll have some more thinking though about their randomization. thanks for reminding me about Project Brutality's randomization - I will have to crack that open and see how they're doing that. I've been dragging my feet on a more customizable randomization system because a zandronum-compatible system won't play nice with maps that use certain zdoom features, but I think that's a sacrifice I'm just gonna have to accept. thanks again mate!

Found this mod while playing mapwich 2 and I gotta say, it's amazing. I really love the weapons, especially that the pistol and standard shotgun have a purpose again. The only thing I wish it had was a chain gun with an increased rate of fire (I know that you can switch out the assault rifle with the chaingun but I haven't tried it yet). Enemies are fun as well, especially the diabolist. 

On a side note, the small scrapgun ammo looks like salt and pepper shakers to me. 

My only question is, how did tango manage to play twilight massacre with it without his pc spontaneously combusting

10 minutes ago, Firedust said:

My only question is, how did tango manage to play twilight massacre with it without his pc spontaneously combusting

I built my own supercomputer by welding together 10 brand new gaming PCs. next I plan to play Sunder map19 with Brutal Doom, and for that I'll have to sneak into the pentagon and use their top secret quantum computer to get above 30fps

5 hours ago, RomDump said:

Found this mod while playing mapwich 2 and I gotta say, it's amazing.

thanks so much RomDump :D I have some new AR sprites on the way and am actually tinkering with returning it to an automatic weapon, so it'd have a faster rate of fire and do more damage than the vanilla chaingun (speed would be about on par with Supercharge chaingun), though it'd still be a reloadable weapon. I can definitely see that with the small scrapgun ammo lol. the sprite looks really fitting for the gun itself to me - though alongside all the other doom ammo it looks a tad out of place. I've got it on my todo list though to mess with altering the sprites so they don't stick out quite as much

18 minutes ago, Tango said:

I have some new AR sprites on the way and am actually tinkering with returning it to an automatic weapon, so it'd have a faster rate of fire and do more damage than the vanilla chaingun (speed would be about on par with Supercharge chaingun), though it'd still be a reloadable weapon.

I think the current burst fire of the AR works well and has a good feel to it. It consistently destroys fodder in one burst and it's easy to memorize how many bursts stronger enemies take. Changing it to fully automatic runs the risk of the AR feeling like a weaker hitscan Plasma Rifle, which the vanilla Chaingun practically is. 

Yeah, I agree. I'm all for keeping burst fire AR. I just wish it was more accurate. Oftentimes, I find myself sniping stuff with the pistol - not that anything's wrong with that, because the pistol in this mod rules.

9 minutes ago, Firedust said:

Yeah, I agree. I'm all for keeping burst fire AR. I just wish it was more accurate. Oftentimes, I find myself sniping stuff with the pistol - not that anything's wrong with that, because the pistol in this mod rules.

Same. I find myself using the pistol very regularly, which is great. Compared to the pistol the AR is rather useless on long range, so that leaves short and medium range as teh AR's domain. But I feel like it's not as good as the classic chaingun in triggering pain state because of the less regular rate of fire (but that might as well only be a feeling, as I said).

The only thing that really grinds my gear is the HUD. Sorry to say it, but it's just bad :( The fullscreen HUD has tiny numbers and doesn't show ammo for all weapons, the other HUD doesn't show ammo for the scrap gun.

Been playing the latest Mapwich, which has this included. and also running Embers of Armageddon mod. It's a total blast.

Also, Supercharge has an option to put a sound effect on the cyberdemon's missiles. This is one of the best features I've always wanted but never knew I wanted.

Hey! Just wanted to chime in with some more feedback and quirks I've noticed recently:

• The BFG ball and explosion do not seem to have any translucency. This obscures the player's vision with opaque explosions when used in close-quarters, compared to the usual GZDoom/PRBoom+ translucent BFG. Stuff like the Imp fireballs and plasma also appear to be solid, but they are small enough to not be an issue.
  • Plasma Rifle projectiles only cast dynamic lights at point of impact and not when fired or traveling. Barrel explosions don't cast lights either, but I think this was brought up already.
  • This could be intentional, but unlike in vanilla, Hell Knight/Baron melee attacks seems to work like the Revenant's, where they will try to scratch you but easily miss if you take a step back. This makes punching them with Berserk less risky.
  • Item count seems strange. Scythe map26 normally has 15 items, but with Supercharge, I was seeing 3 total and it got stuck at 2/3. Something to do with Soulspheres/Megas not picking up at full HP maybe?
  • Deep water effect: Now this unfortunately happens with every mod that makes regular liquids deeper automatically. It creates cases where monsters are unable to attack in places where they should due to being lowered into the deep water. For example, in Scythe map23, this Baron is unable to hit the Revenant over the barrier. In vanilla GZDoom and other ports, he is able to attack just fine (bad picture, but he owned that Rev a few seconds later).   
  • I don't normally use the Chaingun, but it's lacking it's signature burst accuracy with the first 2 shots being on point. That, combined with being less efficient per bullet doesn't give the player much reason to use it over the Rifle.
  • It would be nice if the Fist had priority over the Chainsaw when selecting slot 1 while having Berserk.

Cheers!

I'm not sure how rare this bug REALLY is, but while testing a map i'm making (more specifically this room in the screenshot below), i've been consistently able to pull this off (unintentionally): Every time i kill a plasma guy in a way that sends it flying back towards the torch, it seems to "climb" the torch and freeze halfway through its death animation for seemingly no reason. Now, my knowledge when it comes to the technical side of things is very limited, so i apologize if this is just some GZDoom quirk that i'm unaware of.

If it's any useful information, this happened on the latest version of GZDoom (4.5.0), on an UMDF map, with compatibility set to Default.

image.png.d8dd6fdea16808199c012bc33a2aeaee.png

Edited by MattFright

the fabled version 2.7 is finally here! here's a changelog:

• added a new weapon in slot 5, the Stomper. the Stomper is a micro missile launcher that is exceedingly high damage (up to 400 on a single target if all missiles hit), but has limited range to compensate
    • if you are itching to use the Stomper in a real map built for it, I highly recommend you check out the recently released Ar Luminae. it is not only an unbelievably fantastic map, but also prominently features the Stomper in some sections!!
    • the weapon spawns alongside the rocket launcher in Ultra-Randomized mode, and is also dropped by the Cyberdemon in this mode. I still intend to flesh out a much better randomization mode at a later date, but this will have to do for now
  • added new AR sprites, courtesy of Ultra 64! with some killer edits by @Aurelius
  • changed the AR to be fully automatic, but with a clip size of 30 now instead of the previous 45
  • added some golden recolor sprites for the megasphere, with a pickup flash much like the soulsphere's
  • fixed the plasma rifle projectile dynamic lights only being present 50% of the time (thanks @Spectre01!)
  • added dynamic lights to the player rocket explosion sprites
  • added a new SSG firing sound (you can switch back to the classic sound via a menu toggle though)
  • reverted the pistol firing speed back to Paradise v2 days; it now fires as fast as you can press the key again (thanks @Daerik)
  • buffed the Chaingun damage from 11 to 13
  • added a new player rocket explosion sound
  • buffed player rocket impact damage from 112 to 116
    • this means the rocket will now cleanly kill a mancubus in 3 direct hits, rather than leaving it with a measly 12hp
  • added some trail and explosion effects to player rockets
    • I wanted some effects to make the rocket feel more powerful, without being too visually intrusive. I would love to hear any and all feedback on this
  • fixed the errors in UDB that had to do with some keys and the megasphere missing dynamic lights
    • @RonnieJamesDiner actually did 100% of the work for this, I can't take any credit. praise be to the RonMan

========

ok, apologies to everyone for taking so long to respond to everything. I am very grateful for everyone's feedback on the AR and all the bug reports!!

I admittedly was pretty surprised to hear positive thoughts on the burst AR @Spectre01 and @Firedust haha. I think one of the reasons I originally made the weapon burst was for exactly the reason you mentioned Spectre01, that I wanted the weapon to feel less like just a bad plasma rifle. but once I put the new AR sprites in, I tinkered with having it fully auto with a smaller clip, and ended up really liking it that way. I'm still not quite 100% certain I'll keep it this way in future versions, but I am really liking the change so far personally. I'd love to hear others' thoughts though!

On 10/24/2020 at 1:59 AM, boris said:

The only thing that really grinds my gear is the HUD. Sorry to say it, but it's just bad :( The fullscreen HUD has tiny numbers and doesn't show ammo for all weapons, the other HUD doesn't show ammo for the scrap gun.

I appreciate the candid feedback haha. I have been wanting to completely redo the small hud though, but it's just not been quite at the top of my list. ideally, I want to make a hud that has larger numbers, still has the colored bars for health/armor, shows all the ammo types, and shows time remaining on powerups when held. someday soon I'll get around to it hopefully!

On 11/7/2020 at 4:38 PM, Spectre01 said:

The BFG ball and explosion do not seem to have any translucency.

I've been intentionally using less translucency lately because I am realizing I don't love the way it looks, but I'll see if there would be an easy way for me to add a toggle for some of these.

Plasma Rifle projectiles only cast dynamic lights at point of impact and not when fired or traveling

fixed, thanks for reporting! I'm still undecided about barrels though D:

This could be intentional, but unlike in vanilla, Hell Knight/Baron melee attacks seems to work like the Revenant's

admittedly this wasn't intentional at first, but I have grown fond of it :D

Item count seems strange.

this very likely does have to do with the fact that I removed soulspheres and megaspheres from ammo tallies. I'll look into this for the next version

Deep water effect

yeah this one seems unfortunately unavoidable unless I take out the deep water effect :( for now I think this one is enough of an edge case for me to leave it

I don't normally use the Chaingun

I removed the pinpoint accuracy of the first two bullets because I didn't like that it made tapping the most optimal way to use the gun. with the new viability of the pistol, I felt more ok removing the ability to be accurate with the chaingun since there's no cost to a weapon switch anymore. but! I did just buff the damage to 13, so I'd be curious how that feels now. I honestly kind of regret adding the chaingun now, but I added it because I wanted the option to have a full-auto weapon instead of the burst AR sometimes. and now the AR is back to full-auto, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It would be nice if the Fist had priority over the Chainsaw when selecting slot 1 while having Berserk.

I do have a solution for this that I cooked up at one point, but haven't gotten around to adding it to Supercharge because it's kind of ugly behind the scenes. I'll think about adding this though

On 11/13/2020 at 6:47 PM, MattFright said:

I'm not sure how rare this bug REALLY is

haha, that is an unfortunate, unavoidable side-effect of the monster bodies being launched around in certain animations. I have not encountered a way to fix it, so for now I think we are just stuck with monster corpses floating on top of torches sometimes haha. but I'll take another look at a fix in case I missed anything before

PHEW

Edited by Tango