Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Juza

Night Time Terror / 6-map demo (Final update... hopefully)

Checked maps 01-04, really enjoyed the AV/KS/HR-ish gameplay and the attention to detail was on point, if occasionally invasive but nothing egregious. Superb titlepic too, kinda feel like a new status bar would go well too. HMP already seems like the UV of those sets in their earlier states, although KS sort of maintained a samey difficulty curve, so I wonder how UV here would be like. Few things I noticed on my way:

- Map01, this midtexture looked like "bleeding" in the floor depending on how closer I got, so not something easy to see in a screenshot, anyways is that intentional?. Also the imp ambush for the RL is completely ineffective since you can jump to the water pool and skip them. They might go better teleporting in the middle where the HKs teleported imo.

- Map02, can get stuck here (near building with HK and soulsphere), and I suppose in the other pit too.

- Map03, was going to suggest a couple more medkits before going outside for the green armor since sergeants can wreck you out of nowhere and there's nothing to do about that. I also got annoyed from getting stuck too much in these confined spaces with metal support detailing, and dying once because of that, would suggest not to put the detailing where it invades the player in crucial places for moving. Lastly I feel this should be impassable. 

- Map04, mmm stuck imp, in the storage room with the RK.

Looking forward for the next maps!

Nice! I played a bit on HMP and really enjoyed the gameplay. I think "Night Time Terror" is a good name for this.

This is probably my last update on the demo (a2.2), unless someone finds something game-breaking that can be executed unintentionally.

Major improvements:

- Fixed about everything galileo suggested

- Texture improvements/a few misalignment fixes

- Some Revenants in map05 only showed up in Easy -- now they only show up in Hard

- You could fall and get stuck in two sections of MAP02. Now you can't

- You could jump over the window in the last room of MAP04 back to the previous one, and if the room was still locked, you wouldn't be able to finish the map (now you can raise the bars by using them)

Edit: Forgot to mention I fixed a switch in MAP05

Edited by Juza

Hold on there, one more crucial issue has been found just about now!

Map04: 

- I forgot to mention once you jumped off the last rail to the very final part, where a baron and some imps appeared, there was no way back that I could see, meaning that it's possibly impossible to retreat to previous areas. I'd suggest some stairs perhaps once you fought the revs/viles and reopened the bars, or a teleport, whatever you want.

Map05:

- First of all this was a more savage experience than expected and I was reminded of the maps you took inspiration from, very devilish. Now issues, first is this switch is S1 which makes the next part a one time, so if you didn't jump to the BK, or you went for the goodies on the nukage containers, there way back is sealed. What I'd suggest is a shortcut as close to that part as possible since you're required to do long strafejumps to the containers and I figure it'd be tedious to backtrack all the way up to keep failing.

- Another thing, while less of an urgency, you could ride the lift down, step forward and backwards and up again, where monsters teleport and you can leave the fight. The drawback of this is monsters will clog both entrances, worse if the archvile makes ghosts out of infighting. I didn't try to stay and fight because mm nah, not this time, so using the ledge close to the BK as a "safe" place was my move, even though some monsters could shoot up there. Don't know what's your perspective on how to handle that area.

- Lastly, I felt the lone SMM was a tame ending in that environment full of pillars, so maybe the two archviles would go better with her rather than before, or the whole teleport ambush included.

Map06:

- Saw this piece of texture there, though it might be a side effect of using the self referencing sector.

- I guess you already fixed misaligned textures but in case you missed one, there's here.

I'm also curious if it's in your mind to alternate between these levels focused on cramped ruined rooms and more open and bigger areas for like the latest third of AV or HR, though not saying this hasn't been enjoyable, because it was, just curious what's gonna be in store (:

In my previous post I mentioned I fixed the MAP04 issue with the bars which prevented you from beating the level in case you jumped over the window after the bars had blocked the passage back -- which isn't impassable. You can use that jump to backtrack... I might change this because you can cheese the Revenant fight this way, but I don't think that's an issue. But, I forgot to mention I fixed the MAP05 switch too, by making it repeatable. Thanks for reporting the rest, though. They'll be fixed in the RC1.

Edit: Oh, yeah, levels will be more complex and there'll be ones focused on bigger rooms than the usual. I just prefer 'cramped rooms' as you may call them.

Edited by Juza

Fdas for the first 2 maps, recorded on prboom+ with: ntt_demo_gaspe1.zip

So for it looks cool and with some obvious nods to AV/KS, you even retained the odd block-monster lines :D

Played on UV and it think it's manageable so far, barring few extremely cheap moments but I'll get to them later. I wanted to play the rest but the next maps are long so it will take some time. I'm only disappointed by the lack of secrets or optional goodies that you really miss, like the SSG that its abscence makes more of a slow crawl against lots of meat.

MAP01: Nothing to complain here but the archviles were a very cheap move, the one in the silver room can stay but the other is a hard hazard to kill it with only the SG/CG. Then I liked the secret RL that it's something you truly need but I think that you should obtain the RK earlier, and the switch is put in a position where it's almost impossible to discover it if you chased by the monsters. Then maybe it's me but I got "confused" by the RK, as I thought it would have been mandatory to progress.

MAP02: The constant teleporting monsters mechanics were introduced in the first level and here are already used so much that the map became predictable and in some spot is easy to control the crowd but that's was fun thought. I only fear that this trend will continue. First cyberdemon already, at least you can skip it without struggle. But maybe that's intentional? At best you have some rockets and the SG. The monsters can get stuck on the Thing72 after they teleport, beware of potential collisions.

I played 01-05 because I didn't know there was a map15. I really enjoyed this. Visuals were solid, and the combat was excellent and engaging. The only criticism I had while playing through was that I wished the levels were more distinct from each other, instead of just going through techbases. I did really enjoy the mapset though. I may give it a whirl on UV but HMP was pretty hard in the last map

Hopefully this is the final update.

- Added a secret SSG in MAP02.

- Fixed a crusher in MAP03 that caused a whole different sector to be activated instead.

- Fixed an issue with the final room in MAP04. Now backtracking is easier and you can't avoid the Revenant ambush.

- 100% kills in MAP03 and MAP15 is now possible.

- The Megasphere in MAP15 was changed to a Soulsphere.

- Fixed some HOMs.

Edited by Juza

Here are the attempts for the other maps: ntt_demo_gaspe2.zip, played on the new version

MAP03: didn't see so much of this one unfortunately, rather harsh to get through with the low resources. It was fun to exploit the chaingunners to kill the archviles.

MAP04: I fucked up the last rev ambush but at least I was able to complete the map, barring the last archvile to kill. The nukage room is so dark and with the addition of the rad suit you can't see shit, idk how I was able to get past it. Massive hom at the outddor area before the RK.

MAP05: I was actually having a good time here, until I got stuck into that pit with the rev, or to say better I decided to get stuck there. I can also blame myself as I like to mess things like that, still I think should be a lift or rework the pit so you can't fall there. Ammo was so tight. It's was the only map without constant "monsters teleporting at every step", nice.

MAP15: When I see those cute Doom roads I wonder what kind of vehicles you can drive there :P many close calls but I managed to reach the cybie only to get splattered by it. I liked a lot the DN3D ruined city. I now that at the start you can't jump on the border wall because you can jump on the BK platform, but the wall is so low that it looks odd as a hurdle.

It would be nice to have some more green armors on the way here an there instead of never, why the coop players get all those blue armors while I have to stay with less than 25% health? D: I get back at the maps with saves and taking my time as there's so much stuff that make you lose patience quickly. There's so much focus on cramped gameplay but the later map were more enjoyable thanks to the SSG so everything flow faster and you can fight better in all those closed corridors. UV if anything would need some balance adjustements, i would add just a little more of ammo mostly on the initial stages. It's a bit frustrating if you are low on resources and there's only one path to follow.

Thanks for the feedback @gaspe. Those are some notes to take for my next maps. About the difficulty, I did mention in the OP that UV isn't supposed to be fair, and that HMP is the 'definitive' way to play the wad. There's a lot of UV-exclusive ammo around, you do have to look for it.

On map05 atm. Very much enjoyed how tight the gameplay in general and how tight the ammo management is, although at times it feels quite grindy without SSG; by the end of map02 it feels like you should've already got it. Playing on UV with pistol starts.
Given that you've mentioned ksutra as an influence - i was expecting to see some garish detailing or something visually outlandish, but up to map 5 there were only little embellishments, map04's color pallete was quite good. Yet to see what's in map15, i've got high hopes, since the screenshot looks awesome.

Regardless of how visual side of things goes, would be excited to see more for this project.

Here's a little visual bug on map04:

Spoiler

map04_bug.png.33f5d6e7c9e0483cf199a76a417442d2.png

Played through the rest of it, map05 was quite a cross between some parts of Scythe and DV combat-wise and map15 totally delivered some interesting visuals.

A couple of bugs:

Spoiler

Map05:

In the poison tank area the room that you get on an elevator to get the blue key gets closed off the next time going there, so you can actually miss the blue key if you get to look for the secrets. Didn't bother to solve the caco pillar mystery, since it seems you can get back up on top of the tanks only through cheats.

map15:

two monsters hadn't teleported; yes i've found the secret exit room.

I do like the strict challenge in the set, hopeful to see more interesting themes.