Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gustavo

How would you like your WAD best served?

I've noticed there's no general rule of thumb for number of levels in a WAD. Some teams release 32 map mega WADs, others just a handful of levels and other mappers (for example Memfis), like releasing single map WADs. What do people prefer? Does it make a difference at all in terms of gameplay? Even when releasing single map WADs, do they need to be big/huge maps in order to find them worthwile?

I prefer small sets of levels and think the nine-level episode doom 1 approach still makes teh most sense! megawad clout is irritating but at least they can be mixtaped privately =P

Warm, with garlic salt and pepper grinds.

I prefer megawads larger than the base 15, but smaller than a full 32 set. Three 9-map eps a la Doom, plus Doom II-style secret maps, works just right in most cases, unless we're talking about more exhausting kinds of maps (slaughter, intense puzzling, etc.).

Size and number of the maps are irrelevant to me. 5 minutes of fresh and polished ideas are worth more to me than 30 minutes of "I've not had much of an idea what to do here, but I put it together regardless".

Also I like my WADs "served" with around 3-4 screenshots, and an OP that states the format it was built in, as well what genre the map(s) might belong to. A short textfile that gives credit to whoever made the MIDI (if the info is available) as well crediting authors of additional assetts (like textures, or even custom enemies) is nice to have as a "garnish".

30 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Size and number of the maps are irrelevant to me. 5 minutes of fresh and polished ideas are worth more to me than 30 minutes of "I've not had much of an idea what to do here, but I put it together regardless".

Also I like my WADs "served" with around 3-4 screenshots, and an OP that states the format it was built in, as well what genre the map(s) might belong to. A short textfile that gives credit to whoever made the MIDI (if the info is available) as well crediting authors of additional assetts (like textures, or even custom enemies) is nice to have as a "garnish".

Basically the exact same first sentence NIH posted, adding that as a personal factor, episodes and megawads pick my attention more often than single maps, that's naturally changing lately.

Then, screenshots matter a lot, usually on a level where I would automatically click "return" if there aren't any or see something I don't feel attracted to.

Information about what mapping format and source ports used for testing are relevant of course: if I read compatible with vanilla, boom, limit-removing (or mbf, as odd as it is), then it's going to be bingo in most cases, because I'd be using crispy or prb+, but if I read the word "(g)zdoom" or different then it has to be something specific that captures my attention, like for example the mapper only has knowledge of that port but the screenshots tell the map could perfectly pass for prb+ compatible, or is someone I know a bit more outside of dw and follow their works, or revenant missiles make funny noises like in @Tango's wad Paradise. Mods are off my radar, although there are exceptions every once in a year. Heretic stuff always comes as a novelty, I'd like to see more of that game, perhaps someday I'll give mapping a try. Hexen or Strife content mmm not at the moment. 

Also, a brief description of the wad in a text file is always good to read, whether it's gameplay overall style or that the mapper(s) feeling proud of their work. Saying "inspired by X wad/author" helps to give an idea and attract curious people. Credits are valuable, more if it's notable when and where there're external assets, no plagiarism in basic terms. 

Last but not least, for public releases outside of idgames, I really appreciate it when the version is specified in the wad file, I don't like having to guess later which update is outdated or the current if the file name remains the exact same.

I prefer my maps to be competently made. I don't care if it's only 10 maps long. If it is fun, I'll rate it highly. If it's long and boring, 0/10.

Also I generally prefer small-medium sized maps. Maps that take like 20 - 30 minutes to complete each kinda loses my attention after a while...

Maps that have a vanilla touch, look amazing and play amazing. Beefy with 10+ maps. 

Please hold the slaughtermaps cause thats just too hot for my tastes. 

I usually am more likely to take an immediate interest in something relatively substantial, whether this be an episode of maps (of whatever style and length) or a single map with a decent playtime (or, yes, a proper megaWAD, though for practical reasons these are something I'm more likely to plan/schedule for rather than begin playing immediately), as opposed to a very short/low-investment 'bitesized' outing, doubly so one that openly advertises itself as simple/casual. Any number of factors can trump this--cool-looking shots in the introductory post, I'm already familiar with/am particularly interested in the work of the author(s), the flashy marketing campaign makes it seem Totally Up My Alley, etc.--but generally speaking when I want to sit down and play Doom, I want to sit down and play Doom, not be finished and having to go on the prowl to DL something else 5-10 minutes later. This, for me, largely holds true whatever idiom of design an author or team of authors might prefer, whether it's more conventional/familiar in approach or playing at that much-vaunted realm of Real Unbridled Creativity (whatever in blazes that means); whether the order of the day is staunchest traditionalism or reveling/wallowing in brazen, boldest transgression, I tend to feel that ideas, styles, and authorial voices are all a lot more interesting and engaging when they have sufficient time/space to breathe, to explore and be explored.

That said, I don't reckon you need to worry overly much about what I or any other single person thinks on this matter. For every player like me, after all, there is another who does prefer and is more attracted to short/bitesized single maps, so whatever pattern of creating/releasing feels right to you, if you focus on doing what you do well you should be able to find your audience, with some persistence. Some things, however, are a general courtesy and are broadly a 'best practice' independent of all other factors and no matter who your audience might be. These have basically all already been mentioned by others: a few screens, detailed and accurate port/design spec/testing information, vital info on your WAD (IWAD required, number of maps/in what episode or mapslots, skill settings yes/no, co-op compatible yes/no, etc.), credit for assets you used where reasonable/appropriate, and so on and so forth.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:47 AM, Gustavo said:

I've noticed there's no general rule of thumb for number of levels in a WAD.

There's also no general rule of thumb for the length of those levels, number of enemies, compatibility levels, types of weapons, whether custom enemies are used, etc.

That is because, as you've probably deduced from the responses, everyone has different preferences. People tend to make what they like, and participate in projects that interest them, so projects will span the gamut.

So, if you're trying to gauge what to do based on what other people like, don't bother. Make what you like and you will find people that will play it.

Now to answer your question, personally, I prefer maps and sets to be fun (of course, this is another very subjective thing) and for there to be quality in the construction of the map(s). I prefer mappers that care about what they're making. I'm usually not interested in playing the "I was bored so I threw this together" type maps or sets, because such works typically have the sort of quality one would expect from someone that doesn't seem to care. I also like mapsets that have at least a modicum of storyline tying them together.

I usually never continue most wads after a few play sessions unless I revisit them months/years later. Needless to say that means I almost never finish wads with over 1-2 episodes.  

Some exceptions exist (sunlust, btsx2 and a few more). I also despise maps that need the automap and even uninstall the wad so I don't replay it later by mistake. 

Of course I care about the quality, but I'm someone who prefers playing 32-map megawads to small wads. Idk why really, I guess I just like the substantiality of it, as if I was playing a standalone game. I like to get a feel for the mapper's style and I feel like playing an entire megawad of different levels gives a greater insight to a mapper than just one map with the same theme.

I am more likely to check out wads with several maps rather than single-map offerings. I also tend to wait for a final release of a wad before playing unless I feel I can provide some good feedback (usually more experienced playtesters got that covered). If I see the standard Doom 2 SKY1 and the map name is Entryway, I get very concerned. There are maps where the default sky can fit well but I tend to associate it with lazy maps, just like startan and the default Doom Builder floor and ceiling.

Do you have any deathmatch-friendly wads? Preferably with guns near the spawns. I won’t have anything without guns near the spawns.

(sigh) in the old days, the percentage of deathmatch wads was so much higher.. You could just waltz into any server and there was a good chance people were in there enjoying some wholesome, natural deathmatch. Now it’s all about seclusion from your fellow marines, all about unnatural additives, all about hunting (and killing!) innocent demons! We need to put an end to the factory-farming of hellspawn.

Do your part. Save the demons.

#ProudDeathmatcher

#GoGreen

(because indigo tends to lag a bit more)

Oh yeah, and map count doesn’t matter, as long as they’re good. Although with 10 maps or less your DM sessions are either going to be short or require a second wad.

Generally, I'd like my wads to be around 8-10 levels in length. Generally well thought out and creative level design, cool set pieces and atmosphere, ect.

I generally don't like the massive levels that contain hundreds of enemies, I find them to be a bit of a slog to get through and the ones I've play seem a bit too reliant on getting enemies to fight each other in order to progress.

I like the traditional 32 maps format...  feels more like a stand-alone experience with the three episodes and all of that stuff. However I know this is not important, just a personal preference.

Edited by Noiser

I find my self never finishing full mega wads, so i enjoy the one, two, maybe even three BIG ASS maps that some wads offer.

I like them very detailed and as immersive as possible as well. Then my time to complete it becomes more invested.