Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lucas

First level

I feel like I've done alright in terms of gameplay, but I don't know where to start with visuals. It feels fairly bland. Gameplay wise I think it is too luck dependent, what do you guys think?

PB 22 seconds UV 22 seconds NM

Par 30 seconds

Edit: I forgot to mention what I'm aiming for in terms of gameplay. I want this level to be a fast level going toward the switch to open the exit door and a more careful level going back to the exit. I intentionally made ammo scarce and health non-existent on UV and NM. I think HMP may be too close to UV in difficulty.

Edit 2: I just realized how much I suck with texture alignment. Some of those issues have been fixed in the new zip file.

Edit 3: Somehow didn't add the correct version, now it's actually possible to hit par time.

Update to the map (1.1): Made the initial dash-to-the-lift less luck based by hiding many of the demons behind closets. New PB on NM.

gibus_v11.zip

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_160014.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_160018.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_164614.png.d8d8d3416e9935a966dfc39d842306fe.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_155935.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_155939.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190924_164637.png.9d9481d5975481f3f710362e6296e778.png

Edited by Lucas

Seems a bit maniacal to make people pistol a bunch of imps and pinkies. Once you get the shotgun it gets back to being a bit more balanced. I think you should give us a shotgun or something at the beginning. I wouldn't recommend giving the player a plasma rifle though. Try to balance it out.

I expect the player to blaze through the first section (guess I should probably make that more obvious in the level design) and then once the player has a shotgun, they can take it more slowly and backtrack to the exit.

Been feeling like i should play some doom again at some point, so quickly ran through the map on UV.. whilst i would normally say the frantic rush through to find a usable weapon is a neat idea, the way the enemies TP into the first room upon firing, immediately blocking the players path, kinda forces pacifist play. Which isnt a bad thing, but if the player doesnt fire a weapon in that room on the way back to the exit, the enemies wont wake up and TP in at all.

If the player shoots at the HKs before the lift raises... everything wakes up, TPs in, and gathers in a masive clump of shit at the top of the lift... which kinda makes it a non-threatening grind to clear it all before going back up. Not sure what to suggest here, other than maybe make the lift a bit faster and release the first room enemies from a closet instead of TPing them in.. that way, once the player has tripped a line in the HK room, the closets will open up and there will be fights set up ready and waiting for their return journey. 

Minor issue, the sector housing the chaingunners shouldnt be tag 16.. only the wall in front of them. Also neat little touch showing the secret from the start position, i liked the way that was shown to the player so it encourages them to hunt around for it. 
Overall not a bad effort at all for a first map, especially one focussed around speedy play :)

14 hours ago, bemused said:

If the player doesnt fire a weapon in that room on the way back to the exit, the enemies wont wake up and TP in at all.

Not sure how I could fix this. I made the enemies teleport when you shoot the former human to demonstrate that the next part was going to be a rush to the lift. I have it so that the walls are impassable and can be seen through by the enemies (so they think they can path toward you) but then they teleport before they can. If it were a closet that opened after hitting the linedef in the HK room, you would lose that demonstration in the beginning.

14 hours ago, bemused said:

If the player shoots at the HKs before the lift raises... everything wakes up, TPs in, and gathers in a masive clump of shit at the top of the lift... which kinda makes it a non-threatening grind to clear it all before going back up. Not sure what to suggest here, other than maybe make the lift a bit faster and release the first room enemies from a closet instead of TPing them in.. that way, once the player has tripped a line in the HK room, the closets will open up and there will be fights set up ready and waiting for their return journey. 

I originally had the lift raise faster than its current state, but then it was frustrating to speedrun as you would exit the HK room after pressing the switch and the lift would be raising. I added the door to make the player shoot while not in line of sight of the enemies but that doesn’t work too well. I think you’re right in that I should add monster closets (and maybe add a few extra imps/shotgunners) and make the pinkies chill there at first. Would remove a bit of the luck involved with running it. Not sure how to avoid the player being able to cheese that section by letting the enemies just go down the lift, any thoughts?

@Lucas

Please provide some infos and screenshots for your maps, as said in rules:

It is also recommended that you upload wads to Dropbox or Mediafire, instead of taking up valuable server space.

Update: Hid many of the monsters in the dash-to-the-lift room in monster closets. Fixed a few minor bugs. Should be a little less luck based.

4 hours ago, Lucas said:

any thoughts?

Tbh im not really sure.. my brain isnt working at full capacity today :P 
Personally if it were me id probably try to somehow remove the lift and HK door entirely (or make them stairs instead), as they seem to act as a kind of chokepoint no matter how you play the previous areas. If i was to do such a thing though it would probably mean a redesign of the entire map around the new layout and at that point its something id just say "try and implement this setup in a future map" rather than trying to cannibalise the existing one beyond all recognition. 

just to add... i think you may have made a mistake with the updated file.. when unzipping the new one, the only file present is the .dbs one, not the actual wad itself. Also pretty please remember to rename all new versions of the map with v1.0, v1.1 etc as people wont know which is the new file if you upload an updated wad with exactly the same name as the old version :)