Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

What to do now? Tech problem

So I was deep in making my WAD here: HMA. Then my Win7 laptop died and my other Win7 laptop doesn't run Doom Builder 2. It just doesn't, for some reason.

What can I do now? Is there any other editor that will let me continue my WAD, with DB2 capabiliities, without messing with the data that's already there?

Or is there any way to run DB2 on my other laptop?

GZDoombuilder-bugfix and DoomBuilder X are actually better than DoomBuilder 2 and are worth trying out. If they don't work either, then you can try to use SLADE's map editor feature instead. Do note that SLADE's map editor could feel quite different compared to the doom builders.

7 hours ago, Szuran said:

Wait, Slade has map editing? I've never noticed it.

Open a pwad with Slade3 and doubleclick on the map lump.

Concerning your problem with DB2 etc have a look at my tutorial, maybe that will help with some ideas.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:31 PM, Kappes Buur said:

Open a pwad with Slade3 and doubleclick on the map lump.

Concerning your problem with DB2 etc have a look at my tutorial, maybe that will help with some ideas.

Hey, I just had some time to see if I can restore everything, and GZDB generally works but only with Zdoom, not GZdoom, and I have lots of errors - screwed up sectors, missing textures - after opening the map in this setting. It's going to take hours to manually correct them, but I'd like to understand why there are errors in the first place, they didn't show on my other computer, in DB2 and GZdoom.

After closes inspection, here's what happens. I can add new sectors, but whenever I try to move anything on the map, it breaks.

problem.png

Edited by Szuran

4 hours ago, Szuran said:

After closes inspection, here's what happens. I can add new sectors, but whenever I try to move anything on the map, it breaks.

So, it appears that it has nothing to do with the setup of GZDB/BF.

GZDB is a lot stricter about errors than DB2 and GZDBBF even more.

Did you run Map Analysis (F4) to check for any errors?

My guess is for an unclosed sector.

I do have some unclosed sectors. I also have "linedefs are overlapping and references another sector" - well yes, I have linedefs overlapping, but why is it bad exactly?

So I closed all the sectors that required it and just some overlapping lines remain, but the problem remain, plus now when I'm saving the map I'm getting this:

obraz.png.c4023945333a51fc2baf568b1f4d64e7.png

8 minutes ago, Szuran said:

I do have some unclosed sectors. I also have "linedefs are overlapping and references another sector" - well yes, I have linedefs overlapping, but why is it bad exactly?

Because the editor gets 'confused' about what to do with the new sector.

Imagine somebody asks you to go to an address by giving you the city and street name, but not the house number and apartment number. So you could make a guess which apartment to go to.

5 minutes ago, Kappes Buur said:

Because the editor gets 'confused' about what to do with the new sector.

Imagine somebody asks you to go to an address by giving you the city and street name, but not the house number and apartment number. So you could make a guess which apartment to go to.

Could you also take a look at this error I posted above about the unrecognized config option?

EDIT:

also I don't think it's connected to the overlapping lines because as you can see in the screenshot, it kinda wraps the map with a quasi-sector in certain points, but some of them seem random (the lower ones).

2 minutes ago, Szuran said:

Could you also take a look at this error I posted above about the unrecognized config option?

Unrecognized configiuration option could mean different things.

And two lines intersecting, again, confuses the editor by having to decide what to do.

Could you send me the map?