Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smara1453

The classic Multiplayer is missing from Doom Eternal.

Hello! 

I am a very huge fun of the Doom and Quake Series and I was very excited about the Eternal. I pre-ordered it on my Xbox and PS4 to support them, and with my mind to the multiplayer (Team Deathmatch, Deathmatch etc). Then I learned that there will be no Traditional multiplayer in Doom Eternal, and I was very disappointed because they are the Founding Fathers of the Multiplayer Arena Games.

I appreciate all the work for the Campaign, which is very good, but the LACK OF TRADITIONAL MULTIPLAYER IS JUST A SIGN OF DISRESPECT for us, your hardcore MP fans.

Even The Last of Us had Multiplayer, which this games excels on the single player. I repeat myself, it is a sign of respect. 
I really hope they will add the Traditional Multiplayer in future updates.

Until then, I will cancel my pre orders and just hope they will add. 

Please do not hate me, I really love DOOM MP. 

You know id Software don't typically read this forum, right? I'm not entirely sure why you're telling us all this. :P

BattleMode feels like id was originally going to make a wave/round/survival sort of mode where demons spawn continously through rounds and all and you kill them.

It might as well explain the demons spawning non playable demons, since otherwise an MP mode about demons vs Doomguy could have been more than 2 playable demons.

14 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

You know id Software don't typically read this forum, right? I'm not entirely sure why you're telling us all this. :P

id is a bigger studio nowadays, so there could be at least one person reading these.

I don't know, i would much rather have something that atleast feels somewhat fresh than to have the same thing done for the past decade or so.

If i wanted to play Quake 3, i'll play Quake 3

Traditional FFA is boring and repetitive and I can't bring myself to care that DE won't have it. We know what happens when you shove FFA into a game not designed for it; it's called Doom 2016. There is no requirement that every FPS have deathmatch just because, whether or not they want it or if it's balanced or any good.

I was under the impression that Quake Champions is supposed to be filling the MP void for now. Even though I love multiplayer, it makes sense they're not bothering with it since it was just shoehorned into Doom4 anyway.

If you want truly great deathmatch in Doom, you pretty much have to play Doom1 or Doom2. The others are snoozefests imo. If you do like the Doom4 multiplayer, I don't think it's going anywhere, so you should still be fine to keep enjoying it.

I get that it feels wrong to have a Doom game without multiplayer since it pioneered multiplayer (which is absolutely not more repetitive than SP where all the monsters do the same shit every time!) but, if it's just going to be tacked-on "meh tier" stuff again like it was last time, I'm okay with it's exclusion, even as a deathmatch fanatic.

A classic style slayer FFA would be welcome in my opinion.  But I think we should see how battlemode works out first.

What I really want though is some type of MP Coop mode .... with potential opposing player invasions and mini-bosses.  The Doom 2016 MP maps could be refurbished for this purpose.

3 hours ago, Linguica said:

Traditional FFA is boring and repetitive and I can't bring myself to care that DE won't have it. We know what happens when you shove FFA into a game not designed for it; it's called Doom 2016. There is no requirement that every FPS have deathmatch just because, whether or not they want it or if it's balanced or any good.

It's not boring. The problem with free for all in Doom 4 is that it's modern.

If you still confused, just remember - it was designed for casuals and your grandpa. They called it as "amazing multiplayer experience". LoL. It's completely NOT Doom, this multiplayer isn't Doom at all.

They put standard multiplayer in 2016 and everyone's reception was a big "blah". Why would they waste everyone's time doing the same thing again? As the devs said, they should be leaders not followers. I think the battlemode take is the right call.

And I'm not just saying that because you can play as an Arch-vile.

A two weapon limit was definitely a red flag in the mode, even though there were enough mechanics and elements to make for a "modern Doom MP experience" without being fully arena.

I might as well repost this sort of thread:

in case i start repeating stuff i already said a million times.

Mostly because Doom is associated with longevity, being eternal etc, that one of its games dying or becoming lost is like seeing holes in a beautiful old painting in a really big museum. (which is why available source codes and assets would be nice)

Sure not every game or port is that good but even some bad stuff is worth preserving, in case word of mouth isn't enough to explain why people don't like it. (specially when some people misinterpret the issue as "Doom was never about MP" instead of "It wasn't the kind of MP that fans wanted")

The same goes for Quake Champions and pretty much any other id related property or even any video game for that matter.

5 hours ago, qdash said:

it was designed for casuals and your grandpa.

Best way to show How Hardcore you are is to play the same game mode over and over for past  2 decades

Doom 2016 multiplayer on launch was W H A C K however it was later reworked and perfected into an experience that was actually worth playing, that if included at launch would have been more favorable and better reviewed.

So the groundwork was laid (eventually) for a good multiplayer, seems odd they throw it away now.

I'm guessing we not going to see coop campaign at launch the one thing I was looking forward to when it was announced.

I wish D'16 allowed you to decide which mode you want to play rather than let a matchmaking rotation decide it, I quite liked Possession but newer updates made it harder to find lobbies for it because they basically combined modes together into rotations. It wasn't exactly easy to find lobbies with active players for that mode though, Team Deathmatch was the most populated / easiest to find lobbies for so we had to wait ages before finding enough players to begin a round, probably because d16 mp was unpopular. I guess they had to do it to make sure more people get to try it.

Edited by sluggard

On 9/27/2019 at 10:09 AM, BBQgiraffe said:

it's because Doom 2016 had it but no one wanted to play it.

Change your Region settings to Europe, I DARE YOU

They should just put a link to Quake Champions in there.

"Oh you want death match? Here, just fucking go play Quake Champions mate. Doomslayer only match."

On 9/25/2019 at 1:43 AM, Smara1453 said:

LACK OF TRADITIONAL MULTIPLAYER IS JUST A SIGN OF DISRESPECT

I have bad news for you. It’s not disrespect. Id experiment with stuff, and many of us appreciate that. 

AND BOTH GOD AND SATAN BLESS THEM THEY DON’T INCLUDE HERETICAL BATTLE ROYALE INTO ETERNAL.

Rules are simple "if Doom has no place for doomgods, it's not real Doom". Only hope for custom match possibility.

20 hours ago, qdash said:

Rules are simple "if Doom has no place for doomgods, it's not real Doom". Only hope for custom match possibility.

Thankfully there are gonna be Doom gods playing Doom Eternal so no issue there.

I think that there will never be any doom game, and especially if having involment from the hacks at bugthesda, that can replace GZDoom with the 90s iwads + modern mods

all the "new" doom games are not really doom at all... atleast not like I came to know doom back in the day... and I bet this "Doom Ethernal" will be just as muc "not REALLY a Doom game" as Doom 3 and Doom 2016 were

I fell sorry for the new generation, they will never know the joy of a real FPS with a real and creative community!

1 hour ago, CBM said:

All the "new" doom games are not really doom at all... atleast not like I came to know doom back in the day... and I bet this "Doom Ethernal" will be just as muc "not REALLY a Doom game" as Doom 3 and Doom 2016 were

I fell sorry for the new generation, they will never know the joy of a real FPS with a real and creative community!

I know that it's kinda off-topic already, but you're basing that on what? 

I play Doom since I'm 4 y/o and Doom 2016 feels so Doom

Edited by Martin-CAI

30 minutes ago, Martin-CAI said:

I know that it's kind off-topic already, but you're basing that on what? 

I play Doom since I'm 4 y/o and Doom 2016 feel so Doom

well, its a matter of personal taste I guess... but the old doom games, multiplayer was easy, mapping was easy, the games introduced you to the doom universe vs the new games that each time reboots the story and everything about doom until it is no longer feels like doom for me atleast

doom 3 had a nice horror feeling, but it lost some of the charm from the old games

doom 2016 looks more and more like a mass produced FPS each time I play it and it does not even have the horror feeling from doom 3 plus it has an annoying way of dealing with monsters (like flashing when hit) and equipment (upgradebots and whatnot)

18 hours ago, CBM said:

all the "new" doom games are not really doom at all... atleast not like I came to know doom back in the day

Yeah they are obviously Final Fantasy games...

a case can be made for Doom 3, but not Doom 2016

Doom 2016 has the; fast paced dodge focused gameplay, outlandish designs, and just over all "no-shit given Action movie" attitude of the originals and a rocking soundtrack to boot. while also adding still adding a modern twist with the upgrade system and much more involved story

If i wanted to play a cheap copy paste Doom 1/2 with HD graphics i would just play GZdoom. 

17 hours ago, CBM said:

doom 2016 looks more and more like a mass produced FPS each time I play it

Didn't know Battlefield V and Call of Duty had fast paced gameplay that doesn't involve you corner camping, buying "surprise mechanics" and watching 20 hours cutscenes 

the only thing most Modern FPS has in common with Doom is Aiming Down the Sights for the Gauss Cannon.

Edited by jazzmaster9

I'd argue most modern Doom games carry some values from the originals and introduce some good stuff but also have flaws and don't always carry some aspects, like how enemy placement works, but that's another reason why the classics have a community making content to this day.

The fact that there's OG Doom mods inspired by later games can show what good they offered or at least demonstrate that some ideas aren't that bad.

I still think they deserve to be preserved and playable in many years, like any game, regardless of flaws.

I think the next modern doom should look at the stuff that made the previous versions great and then include that... for example:

the horror setting of doom 3 (would be even better when merged with the gameplay of the original)

lots of scripting options

huge model and level support (wad, bsp, etc + md2, md3, obj, etc.. )

option to enable/disable scoring like in gzscoredoom + option to create custom level stats

the models from doom 3 without the weird light effects from doom 2016 when shooting monsters

the brutality from brutal gzdoom

playerclasses

a more open level design to avoid the player being locked in with a gang of monsters

more puzzles

maybe even stuff from fallout 4, like places where you can cuztomize your equipment

vehicles

objectives and missions like in Hunter

minimal cutscenes

instead...

doom 3 was a horror themed version of doom 2 and does have many qualities, I do kind of like it as much as GZDoom, its just that GZDoom editing seems easier and more fun

doom 2016 was ... well... the graphics are great on a GTX 1080 and above..  but the cutscenes are excessive, shooting and killing monsters looks idiotic, you are constantly locked in with monsters and the level design makes zero sense

I wholeheartedly agree with you on this one. I'm hoping that with the delay that ID realized that they need to put Deathmatch in the game. I dont understand why its so difficult to put a classic pistol start DM in the game with some CTF and Invasion modes. They need to take some notes from Doomseeker for sure.

Also, the battle mode kinda looks shoddy and I'm skeptical as to how good thats actually gonna be. Just gonna have to find out when it releases. Single player should be golden as always though, so at least we have that.

9 hours ago, VikinGDoomeR said:

They need to take some notes from Doomseeker for sure.

They need to take notes from a program that is literally just a master server browser? Why?