Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Play Doom in your browser!

The cool ass site

GitHub page

you just have to drag in your WADS and it fucking runs Doom! apparently it uses a mix of Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom code and removes the Vanilla Doom map limits, it sadly doesn't have multiplayer support or Gravis emulation, it's runs nicely, I'm playing it on a shitty Chromebook from my school and it runs perfectly, if you want to compile it the source code is on GitHub, you will need Emscripten.

and yeah it even keeps your saves! 

Edited by BBQgiraffe

Just wait a few years more until technology matures enough and we'll be using the web browser for far bigger things, like really demanding modern games. The technology is all there but needs a bit of time to mature.

I wonder what will happen to the classic OSs when the time comes.

Very cool! Works fine with D4V as well, except for the pistol sound. I guess the port interpret it as a bug.

8 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Just wait a few years more until technology matures enough and we'll be using the web browser for far bigger things, like really demanding modern games. The technology is all there but needs a bit of time to mature.

I wonder what will happen to the classic OSs when the time comes.

So will GZdoom get to the point where you, Graf Zahl, integrate yourself into the web browser and we all program you instead?  

6 minutes ago, Master O said:

So will GZdoom get to the point where you, Graf Zahl, integrate yourself into the web browser and we all program you instead?  

I, for one, welcome our new digital overlords.

3 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

I, for one, welcome our new digital overlords.

Maybe Graf Zahl is actually Dr. Heskel from Ion Fury?  

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

Very cool! Works fine with D4V as well, except for the pistol sound. I guess the port interpret it as a bug.

lmao I can't wait to play Doom 4 on a chromebook when I get to school.

11 hours ago, Noiser said:

just got to school, playing a remake of a 2016 game on a 1993 game engine ported to a web browser running on a computer meant for emailing

I am so proud of this community

On 9/25/2019 at 8:56 AM, BBQgiraffe said:

The cool ass site

GitHub page

you just have to drag in your WADS and it fucking runs Doom! apparently it uses a mix of Chocolate Doom and Crispy Doom code and removes the Vanilla Doom map limits, it sadly doesn't have multiplayer support or Gravis emulation, it's runs nicely, I'm playing it on a shitty Chromebook from my school and it runs perfectly, if you want to compile it the source code is on GitHub, you will need Emscripten.

and yeah it even keeps your saves! 

Whoa wait, schools hand out laptops now? err Chromebooks i mean? (or is this a college thing and not highschool) I didn't go to college btw. Didn't have money (nor the "smarts") so uh yeah. When my buddy was in college i actually did attend a few lectures with him since they never took attendance for those lol.

Also, this is pretty cool! Thanks for the heads up!

This has been possible in Retroarch Webplayer for a while through the PrBoom libretro core: https://web.libretro.com/

Although that one is not as nice as this. It's meant for more things than just Doom and requires more to set up. For a while I've been wanting to make a version of that webplayer that's easier to use for Doom. This is nice, it's better integrated. It even has some level selection menu.

In archive.org there's also the Doom shareware version playable from the web in some DosBox wrapper: https://archive.org/details/DoomsharewareEpisode

On 9/25/2019 at 3:08 PM, Loud Silence said:

Not to derail, but WHY to play Doom in browser?

Say you're on a machine that you don't have it installed on for example?  Huge reason right there.

3 hours ago, StevieWolfe said:

Say you're on a machine that you don't have it installed on for example?  Huge reason right there.

Ah yes, downloading and extracting source port's files, then placing .WAD in same folder is impossible mission.

14 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

Ah yes, downloading and extracting source port's files, then placing .WAD in same folder is impossible mission.

Not every PC lets you save files to it.

Not every PC lets you access stuff off a USB stick, either.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Not every PC lets you save files to it.

Not every PC lets you access stuff off a USB stick, either.

yeah, and not every pc can run a normal executable, Chromebooks are restricted to web-pages, so this is a huge game-changer for the next generation of lazy students.

this is my Chromebook, a computer completely restricted to running html pages, running Doom without emulating Dos, without using a dodgy flash version, and without a guy having to manually rewrite every line in JavaScript, just pure C compiled Doom.

THE FUTURE IS NOW

320186294_Screenshot2019-09-30at8_50_57AM.png.5121fb76c01bc3f5089292e8ea37ed44.png

It has controller support but it's kinda crap, the project is open source so maybe I'll make a better CFG and recompile it, maybe add Hexen support, skies the limit when you have source code kiddos.

Edited by BBQgiraffe : more details

Well, this is pretty neat. I do remember that Flash version of Doom from many years ago. This new Doom browser feels more responsive and less sluggish than that Flash version, that's for sure.