Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

1 hour ago, DASI-I said:

Can I ask you guys a huge favor? This game has not received much in terms of game testing so please can I ask that you guys (preferably) record and upload to YouTube for analysis so that I can continue to improve it. Gameplay videos will go a long way to fixing bugs and refining the difficulty of the game. Thanks.

I would like to do this, but have never recorded Doom (or any game for that matter). Is there a guide anywhere to detail how I do it?

WARNING: Already found a major bug. Map25 on easier difficulties (not ultra-violence) has no items or ammo :P
I've updated the download link (old file was called doom zero.zip, new one is called DOOMZERO.ZIP)

To anyone that has already started playing and worried about corrupt saves: Don't worry ^_^ unless you're already at map25. Your original saves will still work with the fixed version.

Just now, Horus said:

I would like to do this, but have never recorded Doom (or any game for that matter). Is there a guide anywhere to detail how I do it?

There are two ways to do it. actual screen capturing. Certain source ports can do that. Or demo recording which is basically realtime playback in the game itself. It depends on what source port to use. in the case of Zdoom or GZdoom, heres a forum that may help (very similar the way recording in DOS doom is done) 
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=1931

1 hour ago, Lizardcommando said:

I'm loving it so far! I'm up to MAP04. By the way, would this mod be compatible with Smooth Doom?

No sorry. None of the other mods out there work with this mod. It's not just a WAD with a bunch of maps. It's a full blown mod with new content. Smooth Doom would overwright the new content.

minor bug in map30 (missing some items in easier difficulties also), I've updated the download link. Again, old saves should work just fine as long as you didn't save in map30.

Edited by DASI-I

I gave maps 01-02 a try until I remembered I already played them before in a demo. There is one cosmetic gripe I seem to have missed to tell which, gonna put it in spoilers:

Spoiler

The secret blue armor in 02, having to simply press the wall just feels wrong, and it's why I found it too late when there was nothing else to do. I'm no one to dictate how things should be done, but in the meantime I thought a more involved trigger would be to jump through this window. It could have flickering lights to call the attention. But like I said, it's minor and irrelevant to the overall map, I'm this picky sometimes :p

And then checked maps 07-15, some briefly and some even finnished with no intentions to explore much. Aesthetically, it has its peculiarities, like the "portals" using the skybox or the doomcute computer in the downtown-ish map. Otherwise there's not much to write home about, and at times it's evident you're limited to what's possible in strict vanilla. Having said that, this isn't only old-school per se, rather like if the whole thing was extracted from 20 years ago, in "hidden gem" form. From what I've seen, the distinctive trope is the reuse of space via puzzles involving bridges or similar mechanics with lifts, though each map seems to follow their own requisites to figure it out too, and not just in regards to playing with the environment but also non-straightforward combat elements in between like in "Tease" (speaking about map names, the new ones don't appear in the automap). So far it had me stuck playing more than I planned, and I'm intrigued to see the rest so I'm putting it back to the list. Also, bonus points for giving the chaingun a stellar role.

I will say though I didn't like some of the Doom tracks where they were used, e.g. the e1m2 midi in map 11, could go better with "into Sandy's city" imo even if it's cliche. 

Are there no new automap names? Oh well, I guess they are secret indeed, just like Requiem ones...

EDIT. Lol, even the former commando chaingun is fixed to sound like the player one. ;p

Overall it feels like playing Doom for the first time and that's something not easily achieved as you can play new maps and megawads but since you know the basics it's harder to make it fresh and new again when you gain more experience.

Edited by FearTheReaper

I have played a few of the maps and I can already say with certainty that this is a great wad and more than worthy tribute for the 25th anniversary of Doom 2.

We will play through the first half of the wad today on Thursday Night Survival and we would be glad to see you join us!

The session starts at 19:00 BST / 14:00 EDT and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours as we will play through the maps multiple times with various settings.

56 minutes ago, Keyboard_Doomer said:

I have played a few of the maps and I can already say with certainty that this is a great wad and more than worthy tribute for the 25th anniversary of Doom 2.

We will play through the first half of the wad today on Thursday Night Survival and we would be glad to see you join us!

The session starts at 19:00 BST / 14:00 EDT and you can expect it to be fairly active for 4+ hours as we will play through the maps multiple times with various settings.

Found another bug! There are 2 maps that don't have a player 2-4 starting points. 0_o Please redownload the game for all that plans to participate in the co-op. Link to the download in the first post has been updated

4 hours ago, FearTheReaper said:

Are there no new automap names? Oh well, I guess they are secret indeed, just like Requiem ones...
EDIT. Lol, even the former commando chaingun is fixed to sound like the player one. ;p

Oh yes, that has been bothering me for years that the chaingunners have what are essentially gatling shotguns :P

But yes, I only now just noticed that the map names do not show in the automap. It's now fixed :)

Does The Pits exit supposed to strap player off all weapons to do next level pistol start or just reduce health and continue with all arsenal? Because if it just to scare player near death but keep stocked up then it works as it should.

1 hour ago, FearTheReaper said:

Does The Pits exit supposed to strap player off all weapons to do next level pistol start or just reduce health and continue with all arsenal? Because if it just to scare player near death but keep stocked up then it works as it should.

Yes. Thats what should happen. Either you start with 100% health but no weapons to take out the monsters or you retain your weapons but no health needed to take out the monsters. Either way works

Spoiler

Also, this references both Icon of Sin and Titan but I don't know about that last one.

No matter which amount of health (even 4 or 2) it doesn't pistol start me on next map, I'm playing it on Eternity, guess it's one of the SVN builds. It doesn't reset on Chocolate, Crispy or Retro either so must be minor map stuff.

Edited by FearTheReaper

Just live streamed the first hour and a half of your Megawad and man you left my smiling from ear to ear, its fantastic so far, to the point that I had to tear myself away so I dont spoil too much of it all at once , good job :)

Yes. Thats what should happen. Either you start with 100% health but no weapons to take out the monsters or you retain your weapons but no health needed to take out the monsters. Either way works

I had the no health startup and initially thought it was a bug XD and tried to get them to infight, little did I know its perfectly doable if you just look at the situation....

I've only played the first couple of maps so far, but I love how retro this feels. Like something straight out of 1998 ... I mean that in the best way possible. Really liked the central "tower" in map02, was fun to figure out how to navigate it. Excited to play more!

41 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

When loading Map11, Chocolate Doom crashes. No error message unfortunately.

Ah, sorry dude :( This is beyond me because Dos doom (both 1.666 and 1.9) works fine and so does Zdoom and GZdoom. I just assumed everything in between will work. I have no idea where to begin in order to fix this issue because I'm not that familiar with Chocolate Doom.

1 minute ago, DASI-I said:

Ah, sorry dude :( This is beyond me because Dos doom (both 1.666 and 1.9) works fine and so does Zdoom and GZdoom. I just assumed everything in between will work. I have no idea where to begin in order to fix this issue because I'm not that familiar with Chocolate Doom.

This is odd to me as well because it does indeed work in Vanilla Doom. I'm gonna look around the level and see if I can find anything that might cause it.

So far I am loving this mapset, Loving map08's idea as a callback to levels from doom 1 and 2. But I usually see these pentagram sprites on the ground but they seem to not do anything. Were they supposed to do something? I was playing this in chocDoom before moving over to prBoom cause of the map 11 bug. 

1 minute ago, DoomedFox said:

So far I am loving this mapset, Loving map08's idea as a callback to levels from doom 1 and 2. But I usually see these pentagram sprites on the ground but they seem to not do anything. Were they supposed to do something? I was playing this in chocDoom before moving over to prBoom cause of the map 11 bug. 

Those are the monster spawn points. make things a little bit more fair for players so that they don't feel that the game is cheap.

30 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

It's not your fault - making a map that works in vanilla and crashes Chocolate Doom means, almost by definition, that Chocolate Doom has a bug in it somewhere that has yet to be fixed.

@DASI-I I found it -- the Map Analysis mode in Doom Builder is your best friend. You need to delete linedefs 2036 and 2046. I don't really know why this causes an issue in Chocolate Doom only, but there's nothing on either side of these linedefs, so I guess that causes the crash. When I deleted them the map launched just fine.

4 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

@DASI-I I found it -- the Map Analysis mode in Doom Builder is your best friend. You need to delete linedefs 2036 and 2046. I don't really know why this causes an issue in Chocolate Doom only, but there's nothing on either side of these linedefs, so I guess that causes the crash. When I deleted them the map launched just fine.

Haha, if it's zero sided linedefs, I reported that as a bug 3.5 years ago but was unable to provide a real world example of it. Thanks for providing one!

14 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Really? Thats it? XD Just 2 linedefs in the void of space? Chocolate Doom is so sensitive :P I will fix it soon

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why are there IWAD lumps (graphics) in the wad? It doesn't seem necessary, from what I understand. I was also under the impression that this wasn't allowed, but I could be (and probably am) mistaken.

(Just curious, not trying to start anything!)

8 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why are there IWAD lumps (graphics) in the wad? It doesn't seem necessary, from what I understand. I was also under the impression that this wasn't allowed, but I could be (and probably am) mistaken.

(Just curious, not trying to start anything!)

Long story. basically there are several modified sprites in the WAD and the thing about vanilla doom is that it won't work unless I include all the other sprites that are situated between the start and end lumps. It's a pain but necessary. Thats how old pwads had to do it before newer solutions were provided.

Also, it's allowed because you will still need a legit copy of Doom 2 to run it anyways.