Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

Part 1 of my Doom Zero playthrough. Apologies for the occasional freezes - not sure what exactly causes those, and it seems like there's even more in the recording than there were in the actual game. Not sure if it's GeForce Experience messing things up or something else, I've got too many new things going on in regards to my PC situation which makes it difficult pinpoint what exactly is at fault.

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

I tried to keep the map numbers but in order to be vanilla compatible I only have a limited amount of characters to use, unless I change the names of the levels (which I won't do because I like them), there is nothing I can do about it.

Fair enough :D

Also you can't break the invisibility secret, if you got the powerup then it just means you figured it out. :)

I didn't, I just saw the pickup and got it locked out somehow. Anyway now that I've posted a video, you can take a look at it--would be much easier than me trying to explain. It's at about 16:40.

30GBs of footage 0_o. yikes.

Yeah, it's one and a half hour of 1080p video at 60 FPS. Not sure how many levels it was, felt like 10 or a bit fewer.

Hey @DASI-I, I had Chocolate Doom crash while playing Map26. Interestingly I can't seem to reproduce the crash anymore on Chocolate, but the attached demo still crashes every time on doom2.exe v1.9. I think if you change linedef 789's action from 37 to 38 it doesn't crash anymore.

26crash.zip

Edit: Apparently it only crashes in Chocolate when monsters are present. Strange. Either way, the same fix should apply.

Edited by maxmanium

Part 2 of my playthrough:

Spoiler

There's about a minute of savescumming in the very beginning because I was determined to get past the thing that killed me in Part 1. Doesn't seem like I needed to go there at all.

1 hour ago, maxmanium said:

Hey @DASI-I, I had Chocolate Doom crash while playing Map26. Interestingly I can't seem to reproduce the crash anymore on Chocolate, but the attached demo still crashes every time on doom2.exe v1.9. I think if you change linedef 789's action from 37 to 38 it doesn't crash anymore.

26crash.zip

Edit: Apparently it only crashes in Chocolate when monsters are present. Strange. Either way, the same fix should apply.

Well, I looked into it, and really I just can't see how "floor lower to lowest floor (change texture)" could cause Chocolate doom to crash. I've done a full map analysis check and found nothing. At this point, if chocolate doom crashes, then I'm gonna blame chocolate doom and not the wad. Don't get me wrong, I love that you are reporting these bugs, keep em coming! But a modern source port (that should be more sophisticated and stable than the DOS original) shouldn't crash at something so mundane. Unless there is something else causing the crash, I would suggest that you update chocolate doom or roll back to an older versions.

1 hour ago, Rathori said:

Fair enough :D

I didn't, I just saw the pickup and got it locked out somehow. Anyway now that I've posted a video, you can take a look at it--would be much easier than me trying to explain. It's at about 16:40.

Yeah, it's one and a half hour of 1080p video at 60 FPS. Not sure how many levels it was, felt like 10 or a bit fewer.

Thanks for the upload! I don't mind the minor technical hiccups. But if it's too much trouble then you can just record a demo instead of video capture :)
So yeah, that secret...is working properly ;) But for the most part you are solving many of the obstacles rather quickly. Seems like logic is one of your strengths look forward to see more!

Well, I looked into it, and really I just can't see how "floor lower to lowest floor (change texture)" could cause Chocolate doom to crash. I've done a full map analysis check and found nothing. At this point, if chocolate doom crashes, then I'm gonna blame chocolate doom and not the wad. Don't get me wrong, I love that you are reporting these bugs, keep em coming! But a modern source port (that should be more sophisticated and stable than the DOS original) shouldn't crash at something so mundane. Unless there is something else causing the crash, I would suggest that you update chocolate doom or roll back to an older versions.

It's this bug: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Stairs_create_unknown_sector_types

It happens in Vanilla too, which is why I reported it here. In all cases changing the action to 38 fixes the issue. The idea with Chocolate Doom is that it should be as identical to Vanilla as possible, hence the bug not being fixed.

If it happens in Chocolate Doom but not in Vanilla, I won't bother you with it.

Edited by maxmanium

23 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

It's this bug: https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Stairs_create_unknown_sector_types

It happens in Vanilla too, which is why I reported it here. In all cases changing the action to 38 fixes the issue. The idea with Chocolate Doom is that it should be as identical to Vanilla as possible, hence the bug not being fixed.

Except that Map26 still runs fine in Vanilla Doom...unless it happens randomly, then I guess it is worth looking into. I understand that chocolate doom is supposed to not have any enhancements over the original in terms of presentation and stuff but it just seems like it is more unstable than vanilla. And in my opinion: allowing for full blown application crashes as a design choice I don't agree with. Other vanilla style source ports just freeze the game in order to give a bug report and then you can choose to restart the game or something.

A weird question. Are you male or female? I don't want to assume gender and call you the wrong one... BTW, part 2 is done and I'm uploading.

5 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

Except that Map26 still runs fine in Vanilla Doom...unless it happens randomly, then I guess it is worth looking into. I understand that chocolate doom is supposed to not have any enhancements over the original in terms of presentation and stuff but allowing for full blown application crashes as a design choice I don't agree with. Other vanilla style source ports just freeze the game in order to give a bug report and then you can choose to restart the game or something.

My demo doesn't crash Vanilla on your end? It always crashed to DOS with the message "P_PlayerInSpecialSector: unknown special 1028" or something alike. It always happens when I walk onto that lowering floor.

1 minute ago, maxmanium said:

My demo doesn't crash Vanilla on your end? It always crashed to DOS with the message "P_PlayerInSpecialSector: unknown special 1028" or something alike. It always happens when I walk onto that lowering floor.

Very strange. I'm gonna keep digging. In the mean time, I'm gonna do what you suggested

21 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

A weird question. Are you male or female? I don't want to assume gender and call you the wrong one... BTW, part 2 is done and I'm uploading.

I'm a trans-gay-lesbian that got a sex change from a woman to a man.....nah, I'm just a dirty White privileged male >:D

Edited by DASI-I

Just finished this wad. Definitely one of my favorites; I'm a sucker for good vanilla wads. I really like what you did with Map29 and Map30.

More demos for maps 5-9. Really not sure what happened with my first (proper) run through map 6 on the 5th lmp. Going through the teleport seemed to cause my instadeath (and shortly before that the prBoom bat command box came up which I had to close)

Overall really enjoying it so far and you have captured the IWAD feel perfectly, especially the homages on map 8. The trap at the end of map 9 was mean af

4th lmp is L5 + L6 death

5th lmp is L6 death

6th lmp is L6 + L7 + L8 + L9 death

doomzero2.zip

Part 2. I pointed some of my design preference, but I'm not a mapper, so just take whatever you think it's reasonable.

Edited by GarrettChan

Hi DASI-I

Great WAD so far (I'm up to MAP17). Found a bug on MAP31. If you press the back side of the door in the first room it turns the rest of the map into a door.

doomzero_map31_bug.gif.d26b891ad51239ea5e2b5215221f04b0.gif

I think I've seen this sort of thing before in other WADs, not sure what the cause is. Found this playing in Crispy Doom 5.4 and reproduced in prboom-plus 2.5.1.5 with complevel 2.

Edited by airman506

42 minutes ago, airman506 said:

I think I've seen this sort of thing before in other WADs, not sure what the cause is.

Oh I think that's cause a linedef is tagged as 0 so the whole map lowers. I think this bug was in Nihility too.

Great work DASI-I! Only briefly touched the first levels but I really like how your levels have a beautiful simplicity to them and are more playful in gameplay than the usual KDITD techbase layouts. Also really dig the Q3 plasma gun sound!

Edited by chowbar

5 hours ago, chowbar said:

Also really dig the Q3 plasma gun sound!

ah-ha! someone finally noticed! I never liked the sound of the plasma gun in doom (too loud and obnoxious) but I love the plasma gun from quake 3. Then I thought: what if that little hose on the side is like some kind of silencer or suppressor? And that's why it looks and sounds the way it does. The missing link of the plasma guns, if you will.

5 hours ago, airman506 said:

doomzero_map31_bug.gif.d26b891ad51239ea5e2b5215221f04b0.gif

I have a solution: just don't do that :P
Ok, seriously, I'll fix it for the next patch

Map 10. The most right teleport that leads to the rooms with elevators. Somehow the very first elevator(the room with the hell knight - UV) can lower further after you go back there. Anyway one of the linedefs of that room has a missing texture. Checked the editor too.

Part 3 - another ~40 minutes ("Too Close To Home" through "Crust"), died a few times, mostly stupid mistakes on my part.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, DASI-I said:

Thanks for the upload! I don't mind the minor technical hiccups. But if it's too much trouble then you can just record a demo instead of video capture :)

So yeah, that secret...is working properly ;) But for the most part you are solving many of the obstacles rather quickly. Seems like logic is one of your strengths look forward to see more!

It's no problem, and actually I prefer recording a video to recording a demo because it doesn't mess with my aim and allows to play normally without the "one life" pressure. Anyway, I think I figured out what was the problem, so hopefully no more technical hiccups.

8 hours ago, pulkmees said:

Map 10. The most right teleport that leads to the rooms with elevators. Somehow the very first elevator(the room with the hell knight - UV) can lower further after you go back there. Anyway one of the linedefs of that room has a missing texture. Checked the editor too.

Thanks Pulkmees but I already fixed that. Download the latest version

58 minutes ago, FearTheReaper said:

Is there any red key on Atom Transporter (UV)? Even noclipping I didn't find it.

I'll give you a clue: look for a water fall

Great witty WAD name :) Which monster did you modify to replace by the new one?

EDIT: please don't DeHackEd-modify the fist, as there may be some replacements for it, e.g. the one I took from STRAIN, slightly fixed and and included in my LEADSTORM gameplay mini-mod.

P.S. May I borrow your pistol for it?

Edited by Zodomaniac

3 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

Great witty WAD name :) Which monster did you modify to replace by the new one?

it replaced the SS Nazi slot.

EDIT: please don't DeHackEd-modify the fist, as there may be some replacements for it

You can't tell me what to do :P  I've said in the past that there are quite a few things changed by DeHackEd. The fists are the least of your problems, thats why I said it's not compatible with any other mods out there.

May I borrow your pistol for it?

Sure, no problem. Interesting thing is all I did was just swap some sprites around from vanilla doom (it's weird that so much artwork was not used in the final game)

No recordings today, but I've played another 40 minutes and found 100% secrets on maps 1-3, and spend a fair amount of time trying to 100% map 4, but I'm still one monster and one secret short of 100%. I thought after the first 3 levels and occasional secrets in my main playthrough that I had your logic for secrets figured out, but apparently I'm not quite there yet :P

I've no idea where even to begin looking for it, because I can't even find any clues to what/where it might be.

2 hours ago, DASI-I said:

You can't tell me what to do :P

I never 'told' you what to do but just asked) BTW, I have a piece of advice about the chaingunner: his firing pattern is 'stuttering' a bit, if you change his second firing state duration to 3 he will fire perfectly smoothly and at the same rate as the player's chaingun which is fair IMO. I noticed you replaced the sounds for chaingunner and SS replacement, so I guess you might want to fix the rate of fire, too.

P.S. I've hacked up an alternative pistol animation compatible with your mod and Vanilla :)

Edited by Zodomaniac : Fixed a typo

6 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

I never 'told' you what to do but just asked)

I was just being mordant. Hence why I used the face :P

6 hours ago, Zodomaniac said:

if you change his second firing state duration to 3 he will fire perfectly smoothly and at the same rate as the player's chaingun

Good idea. Will put it in the next patch. I just left it as default because I didn't notice the irregular firing rate. I only changed the sound.

Edited by DASI-I

A couple more demos

7th lmp is L9 + L10 death

8th lmp is L10 + L11 death (really now I should probably just pistol start each level)

On the first demo on L9 when I was navigating the poison path I got to the switch at the end fast enough that the platform didn't raise properly, compared to if you wait to press it then it fully raises. Very minor though, and doesn't detract at all from what was my favorite level so far.

L10 is so much harder from a pistol start than a continuous one. I feel like the left hand path is almost impossible if you choose it first - you really need the plasma gun from the right hand path to clear the two mancubi in the cramped cave. One of the most difficult 'low monster' maps I've played.

doomzero3.zip