Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

14 hours ago, Chamelenoel said:

-Map 19 has these two switches, and one of them gets hidden after you pass through. Problem is, that it is still usable, and you can still close these doors unintentionaly thanks to "door open wait close" action, and due to the fact that these switches are so close to themselves.
Here is a screenshot of what I mean: https://imgur.com/LxnL1Uz

-Map 10 has unaaligned texture: https://imgur.com/TixazVT

No joke: Just a day before you posted this I actually fixed these :P
But thanks, I really do appreciate it. this latest version will probably be the last revision of Doom Zero. So, the more, the merrier. ^_^

I finished the wad and I liked it quite a lot. My favourite maps were in the first half, but the second one weren't half bad either! I loved the idea of non linearity with choosing one of the three keys, but I also liked how non-labyrynthy most of the maps were. I didn't like the last ones that much though, as I got lost in them quite a lot, which is something that didn't happen in the previous ones. I loved the final fight, and interesting ending though. The new monster seemed troublesome at the beginning, but I quickly got used to it, and now I think it fits to the rest of the cast. Your wad is amazing. I enjoyed it so much, that it's the first PWAD I've ever finished. Thanks a lot for creating it!

On 10/6/2019 at 1:51 AM, DASI-I said:

Except that Map26 still runs fine in Vanilla Doom...unless it happens randomly, then I guess it is worth looking into. I understand that chocolate doom is supposed to not have any enhancements over the original in terms of presentation and stuff but it just seems like it is more unstable than vanilla. And in my opinion: allowing for full blown application crashes as a design choice I don't agree with. Other vanilla style source ports just freeze the game in order to give a bug report and then you can choose to restart the game or something.

Strangely enough I just encountered the same issue on Map26 when walking onto the bookcases that lower around the megasphere.

grafik.png.ea16cfc4c9e3a49426e82dfb49701b72.png

Seems suspect that the same issue occurs twice on the same map, when according to the wiki it's supposed to be extremely rare.

Great wad in any case, most fun I've had with a vanilla mapset in ages.

Edit: Nope, this crash definitely isn't random, and it happens in Vanilla Doom 1.9 as well as Chocolate Doom.

Run into the sector surrounding the bookcase shown in this screenshot (Map26) and the game is guaranteed to crash:

oJn0mOw.png

Edited by Doom64hunter

23 hours ago, Doom64hunter said:

Strangely enough I just encountered the same issue on Map26 when walking onto the bookcases that lower around the megasphere.

grafik.png.ea16cfc4c9e3a49426e82dfb49701b72.png

Seems suspect that the same issue occurs twice on the same map, when according to the wiki it's supposed to be extremely rare.

Great wad in any case, most fun I've had with a vanilla mapset in ages.

Edit: Nope, this crash definitely isn't random, and it happens in Vanilla Doom 1.9 as well as Chocolate Doom.

Run into the sector surrounding the bookcase shown in this screenshot (Map26) and the game is guaranteed to crash:

oJn0mOw.png

there must be a problem with your sourceport/wad or something , because i can reach that area without any problems  , no crashes on mbf 2.04 (under dosbox svn-daum) chocolate doom 3.0.0 and crispy doom 5.6.0

Are you perchance using a stairbuilder somewhere nearby?
Or any other "copy sector trait to another sector" action?

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Stairs_create_unknown_sector_types

Edit: *FACEPALM* so I can download it and look, right?

So your walkover trigger (line#789) affects the outer bookcase (sector#90) with special#37 "floor to lowest adjacent floor, change texture and type". Sounds pretty darn probable that this somehow sets the sector-type to garbage value under some circumstances.

I am nowhere near good enough to tell you where this would read bad value from, as the lowest adjacent sector, the floor, seems to be of normal type.

Maybe there's some subtle bug somewhere else corrupting memory, or your editor left some garbage in the sector data that SLADE does not pick up, and I ain't fluent at reading the raw hex data.

But maybe you could try just to change that special to #38 "floor to lowest without changing"?

It doesn't quite sound right for the top-of-bookcase to change texture as it lowers, *and* it already has the same flats as the surrounding floor sector anyway!

Edited by wrkq

Doom Zero version 1.2 is released! Thanks to all you guys for helping me make ver 1.2 as good as it can be. To Doom64hunter and wrkq: I have fixed the bookcase bug. I will never know what caused it. Probably just a change texture bug, so I changed it to a "floor lower to lowest floor" special.
1.2 is a major update and will be the final revision of Doom Zero in terms of gameplay, HOWEVER, if there are still bugs that need fixing, I would still appreciate the continued feedback.

Thank you all! ^_^

Edited by DASI-I

I've just started playing through. I'm puzzled by the blue armor secret on MAP03. I've found the trigger lines that open and close it, and I see no way to reach the sector from which it can be accessed when open that doesn't trigger its closing. Except for cheating by jumping out of the water pool.

MAP04 has a similar puzzling secret right at the start, I don't see a way to keep it opened. Maybe try to lure an enemy so that if the RNG shines on you it'll be at the right place to prevent the door from closing? Or maybe these secrets can only be unlocked when playing coop and there's no way to 100% the level in single-player.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

I've just started playing through. I'm puzzled by the blue armor secret on MAP03. I've found the trigger lines that open and close it, and I see no way to reach the sector from which it can be accessed when open that doesn't trigger its closing. Except for cheating by jumping out of the water pool.

MAP04 has a similar puzzling secret right at the start, I don't see a way to keep it opened. Maybe try to lure an enemy so that if the RNG shines on you it'll be at the right place to prevent the door from closing? Or maybe these secrets can only be unlocked when playing coop and there's no way to 100% the level in single-player.

Nah, it's definitely 100%-able in singleplayer without the RNG or jumping (I did the first 4 or 5 maps), but might require some creative thinking.

4 hours ago, Gez said:

There are two steps with different lower textures leading up to the area. The lower step lowers the sectors and the higher step raises them back up. You have to trigger the top one, then trigger the bottom one, then run past the top one before the sectors have completely lowered.

MAP04 is similar, you have to trigger the secret and then run past the edge of the platform before it's raised so that it doesn't actually lower it.

I've cleared five maps and so far it's really enjoyable, and seems to vary between a D1 and D2 feel which is pretty cool. And the secrets are *really* fun to hunt down (I play UV-max no-save whenever I find a good WAD) and I still can't find the trigger for getting the plasma on MAP05. Which by the way was a pretty bold step up in difficulty from the earlier maps.

I like it so far. :) Favorite is probably the one with the three bridge parts to raise.

7 hours ago, maxmanium said:

There are two steps with different lower textures leading up to the area. The lower step lowers the sectors and the higher step raises them back up. You have to trigger the top one, then trigger the bottom one, then run past the top one before the sectors have completely lowered.

MAP04 is similar, you have to trigger the secret and then run past the edge of the platform before it's raised so that it doesn't actually lower it.

This megawad has some of the most creative secrets I've seen in recent memory. There's lots of actual puzzles to solve to gain access, both for secret areas and for regular gameplay, much better than the usual "hit discolored texture to open door".

1 hour ago, NieMaMordy said:

https://imgur.com/V2A2e5v
Map01 outdoor area. I'm suprised no one has found it before.

I think no one has found it because this is a bug unique to the source port you're using. Not saying it's your fault for using a so called "wrong source port" :P I'm just sayin thats whats causing it. Usually I fix this sort of thing but a few weeks ago I decided that if a bug doesn't manifest itself in vanilla doom, then I won't fix it since it is a source port bug, not a pwad bug.

However, I did notice a similar bug in map03 that does manifest itself in vanilla doom which I will be fixing

Edited by DASI-I

That issue happens in Vanilla too, but only if you noclip on top of the affected sector, so in practice it's not visible. I'm not too familiar with making outer areas like this in Doom Builder, but I was able to fix the issue by changing the ceiling and floor height of Sector 107 to 32. The missing upper and lower textures meet at the same height as the outer "fencing," rather than just having the upper texture all the way to the bottom of the sector. No idea what caused the issue in the first place though.

EDIT: The wall behind the berserk back in the secret area doesn't properly render its flat in PRBoom+ (and Doom Retro). Different rendering code, I suppose... regardless, it's fixable by the same means I mentioned above (although you'd have to make the sky section there into its own sector).

Edited by maxmanium

5 hours ago, bradharding said:

This issue in MAP01 also occurs in PrBoom+.

That's probably what NieMaMordy is also using :P
So I guess PRBoom+ isn't completely accurate to vanilla Doom

23 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

That's probably what NieMaMordy is also using :P

Sorry, should've been clearer. Screenshot is from Doom Retro. That's why I chimed in.

27 minutes ago, DASI-I said:

AFAIK PrBoom+ (with complevel 2) is meant to be 100% accurate to version 1.9 of Doom 2 (minus the limit removing aspects).

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

AFAIK PrBoom+ (with complevel 2) is meant to be 100% accurate to version 1.9 of Doom 2 (minus the limit removing aspects).

I'm pretty sure prboom+ complevels only apply to gameplay/physics, but not to rendering the visuals.

38 minutes ago, Rathori said:

I'm pretty sure prboom+ complevels only apply to gameplay/physics, but not to rendering the visuals.

They don't? I thought that complevels do some changes to rendering as well. For example I recall Eviternity's Map01 sky not rendering when I accidentally had complevel 2 set but it got fixed after setting it to 11.

If this issue is not related then my bad then.

MAP06 is very similar to an idea I've been playing around with for a while (but I'm just a rookie mapper so never got around to it). I think it's a pretty fun gimmicky level. ^^

I see you placed the dehacked file also inside the wad. That will avoid problems with sourceport users like me who usually ignore external dehacked files because they assume it also works without them. Thumbs up for that!

Here is a possible solution to this problem. When there is a small gap sector between the wall, and the sky, remember to raise it's ceiling to be the same height as in wall sector. After that, everything has started to display properly again. I also checked it on Chocolate doom and it seems to work fine there as well.
https://imgur.com/NQpy316

6 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

They don't? I thought that complevels do some changes to rendering as well. For example I recall Eviternity's Map01 sky not rendering when I accidentally had complevel 2 set but it got fixed after setting it to 11.

If this issue is not related then my bad then.

I did a little investigating and it seems to only apply to MBF wads like Eviternity or Valiant. I think it has to do with linedef type 271, which transfers a wall texture to the sky. I'm just as confused, though, because the issue does not occur on -complevel 9 (Boom).

On a side note, this is how I found out Crispy Doom supports MBF sky transfers, which is quite bizarre...

So I was fixing some minor bug in map22 and then I was like "Well, I'm here now, I might as well "fix" the map01 issue, even though...aaaaugh tenor.gif I'll do it!".

(15min later)

It's now fixed! Happy?
doom-guy-nodding-kid-computer-thumbs-up-
Good.

Since I was fixing map01 I also did the same for other maps that could potentially have this issue.