Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

Just out of curiosity, what does the Demon Witch say when launching the "spawn cubes?" Can't quite seem to make it out when reversed.

52 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Just out of curiosity, what does the Demon Witch say when launching the "spawn cubes?" Can't quite seem to make it out when reversed.

Ah-ah, you won't shoot!

I'm done with 17+2 maps so far (i.e., I'm on map 18 now and I've cleared the secret and super secret levels) and I've got to say, so far, so good, holy shit this WAD is so well made.

In short: intriguing visuals, mostly got that Doom 2 feel but refined, some extremely challenging maps (16 was a bitch that I love; I play pistol start UV-max) and probably among the most clever and fun secrets I've ever experienced. Some combats are challenging for me despite being e.g. "just" 3 barons (I'm looking at you, Testing Labs). It's evident a lot of thought has gone into this WAD, and it plays beautifully so far. I haven't had such a blast since discovering the 4 IWADs in my pre-teens, or maybe AV when I discovered the DOOM community.

Top notch. 7/7 bananas, will definitely play again. Stellar work, @DASI-I

Caveat: I have only played 10-15 WADs or so besides the IWADs, so my experience has to be taken into consideration. I'm also not very well versed in slaughter maps and frankly I don't enjoy them that much, so I don't consider myself extremely skilled or anything. The challenge I experience might not be there for other players, but for me it's *just right.*

Edited for some more clarity, and added the caveat paragraph.

6 hours ago, Rex705 said:

I did videos for the first 2 maps so far it's fun.

This is awesome dude, but a word of warning: Doom Zero is not compatible with other mods. The custom content in the later levels will not show up properly (new boss, new enemy, new sound effects, etc). Sorry, this is vanilla only. You're gonna have to put up with "old graphics".

Beautiful Doom has options to turn off its monsters, weapons, and items for max compatibility with other mods. I have already tested and the new monsters and boss show up just fine so no worries. 😀

56 minutes ago, Rex705 said:

Beautiful Doom has options to turn off its monsters, weapons, and items for max compatibility with other mods. I have already tested and the new monsters and boss show up just fine so no worries. 😀

Well then, at your own discretion I guess. some texture flats have also been changed.

Edited by DASI-I

On lundi 4 novembre 2019 at 3:15 AM, DASI-I said:

Ah-ah, you won't shoot!

It sounds like some muddled swearing in French. :p

It kind of sounded like it was taunting about making the situation more annoying by adding to the heap of monsters already present. Something like "plus chiant vu le tas" ("more annoying given the pile", not exactly grammatical but it kind of works).

Anyway I've finished it. I loved it, you've got a good grasp of Doom's classic level design but with some original gimmicks to keep things fresh.

Is the last part of MAP32 a recreation of Quake II? I haven't really played that game, but given how we go Wolfenstein -> Doom -> Doom II -> Quake it seems logical.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Is the last part of MAP31 a recreation of Quake II? I haven't really played that game, but given how we go Wolfenstein -> Doom -> Doom II -> Quake it seems logical.

That is correct. The big 5. W>D>D2>Q>Q2. The only 90s FPSs from id software that were actual single-player experiences

Hai. I have a question. What are you supposed to do after you lower the elevator (in the plasma gun area) on map 28? I walk onto it and it doesn't rise. Am I missing a trick? I've got the blue and yellow key.

Also, the hitscan lost soul looks weird when infighting because it always faces the player and not the monster it's attacking.

Playing in Zdoom 2.8.1, no mods. Cheers!

MAP28: Suspension? I can't see what elevator you're talking about. There's one that you have to raise 'not lower) in order to find a switch that will open a path to the red key, but that's all.

Okay, how odd. I swear it lowered. I guess you're suppose to raise it. I pressed the switch past the baron and plasma rifle and not sure what it did.

8 hours ago, Firedust said:

Also, the hitscan lost soul looks weird when infighting because it always faces the player and not the monster it's attacking.

One of the annoying aspects of striving for vanilla compatibility. The hitscan lost soul (or souldroid as I call it) is using the WolfensteinSS slot (or ID) in the roster. The SS doesn't have frames of animation for firing in different directions

EDIT: Whoah! Hold on! I did some testing and apparently I can just add the rotation sprites and it just works in vanilla doom 0_o. OK then I will be updating this. Thanks Firedust. 

Edited by DASI-I

5 hours ago, DASI-I said:

One of the annoying aspects of striving for vanilla compatibility. The hitscan lost soul (or souldroid as I call it) is using the WolfensteinSS slot (or ID) in the roster. The SS doesn't have frames of animation for firing in different directions

EDIT: Whoah! Hold on! I did some testing and apparently I can just add the rotation sprites and it just works in vanilla doom 0_o. OK then I will be updating this. Thanks Firedust. 

Yeah, I think the SS lumps should have spots for rotational sprites. There just weren't any due to being imported from Wolf3d. I know it's possible thanks to Marphy Black's sprite fix project.

There's nothing hardcoded about rotations. The frames are hardcoded (and DEHACKED can mess with them), but the rotations are based simply on whether there are sprites for the 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 angles or just for the 0 view. And if you have some, but not all, of the angles, then the game will abort with an error during loading.

Yep. It was pretty quick to implement the new sprites. I've released it as ver.1.3 a few hours ago. Yeah I know, I wasn't planning on doing a 1.3, and yet, here we are.

This is awesome! I started playing some days ago and I'm loving the puzzles and the gimmicky progression that some of the levels have. They are creative and not so hard to solve, which is perfect in my book. Visuals are also great with some interesting usage of stock textures. Works perfectly fine on dosbox.

wow. this mapset blew me away to be frank. im about halfway through and these maps feel so clever with the reuse of space and use of movement options, i really appreciate how well tailored this is for the chaingun as well. very good job

I've been playing through this gradually and it's a great set of maps - very true stylistically to Doom 2 while being a unique set of challenges on its own :) I love the Choose Your Own Adventure parts where getting one key will block off others, along with the other techniques you've used to make it possible to take multiple routes through a map. Hurt Me Plenty seems to be exactly my preferred difficulty level.

Are you meant to be able to get out of MAP13 Tease with just one key, or have I discovered an ingenious speedrunning strategy for the first time in my life?

5 hours ago, DavidN said:

Are you meant to be able to get out of MAP13 Tease with just one key, or have I discovered an ingenious speedrunning strategy for the first time in my life?

Yes, it is possible to get all 3 keys in one swoop, even though you only need 1 to finish the level. BTW I love your YouTube channel, been watching ever since you did your ports of Prince of Persia, which has sent me spiraling down the rabbit hole of trying out most of these ports myself. Obviously, I also enjoy your Doom critique videos. Way more interesting than just a 'let's play'.

Edited by DASI-I

Weird, disregard my above post, it had bugged for me and I couldn't write anything? And then pressed wrong.

Anyways, thanks @DASI-I for such a brilliant WAD! Just finished it and I enjoyed the heck out of just about every level, and the amount of secrets and their ingenuity was loads of fun. I think there are only two that totally stumped me (I mentioned one before, plus the Soulsphere on MAP28 even though I can see how it could be done had I not tried to get it after killing all the monsters). Great fun, and my only complaint would be that the middle up until the last five levels or so relied extremely heavily on the annoyance factor of one particular monster... Still one of my favorites. Can't believe the work that must've been put into this.

Gonna be honest and say I really just downloaded and launched this on a whim, but I really had a lot of fun with it.

I love the style of the level design and how it was fairly elaborate but restrained to keep it vanilla.

I just completed it and wanted to thank you for the enjoyment I got out of it.

On 11/13/2019 at 3:59 AM, DASI-I said:

Yes, it is possible to get all 3 keys in one swoop, even though you only need 1 to finish the level. BTW I love your YouTube channel, been watching ever since you did your ports of Prince of Persia, which has sent me spiraling down the rabbit hole of trying out most of these ports myself. Obviously, I also enjoy your Doom critique videos. Way more interesting than just a 'let's play'.

Ah, thank you so much :D I'd started this WAD without videoing it, but it's good enough that I want to spread it to a wider audience and it's exactly the right difficulty for it not to be a chore for me - so I'm starting a complete playthrough here!

2 hours ago, DavidN said:

so I'm starting a complete playthrough here!

NICE! I'm gonna watch all of it.
If you want you can download the latest version (ver.1.4. its just to fix some bugs and potential softlocks). You can just continue from where you left off.

Edited by DASI-I

13 hours ago, DASI-I said:

its just to fix some bugs and potential softlocks

Updates can also make demos desync :(

This always sucks in every wad.