Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

@DASI-I Doom Zero is fantastic, I am doing a paced play-through (1-2 maps a day) and it keeps blowing me away. I love the puzzles, and the difficulty is just hard enough on UV. It is clear you spent a lot of time on this, congrats!

I've just uploaded the last part of my playthrough, and this was exceptional the whole way through. It uses the vanilla engine so creatively, making it feel like a new experience that stands apart from normal vanilla megawads. And it does it while being very... understated? By which I mean it isn't full of tiny sector detailing that stretch the visplane limit to breaking point - in fact, it has a relatively plain classic WAD look, while still managing to make its own identity just through its gameplay. I honestly think - and hope - that this is going to become one of the classics :)

Thank you!

On 11/20/2019 at 3:12 AM, Rex705 said:

After downloading 1.4 the game keeps crashing on map 04 :(

Can you be more specific? I just now tested it with DOS, PRBOOM+, Chocolate, ZDoom and GZDoom and it doesn't crash on map04. Are you using an old save?

26 minutes ago, Rex705 said:

I started fresh and got up to map 4 and it just randomly crashes I don't know why.

which source port

On 11/22/2019 at 5:03 AM, Rex705 said:

I started fresh and got up to map 4 and it just randomly crashes I don't know why.

Wait a minute, I remember now that you are running Beautiful Doom. Doom Zero is not just a mappack but is a full blown mod, Beautiful Doom is probably clashing with Doom Zero's custom dehacked code and other content which is causing the crash.

Edited by DASI-I

Ahh I appear to be lost at how to hit the blue key switch at map 17. Nevermind, just discovered it right after posting here.

@DASI-I BTW is it possible to provide a list of names of graphics/flats/sprites which are modified. I want to take a slab at slightly modifying the wad so that it may not have to include the unmodified iwad resources (and thus making it possible to have an idgames release)

Of course I don't guarantee that I would be able to do it, but at least I would like give it a try.

I really think this project would profit from such a "non-vanilla" edition with all original (duplicated) assets removed and being more mod-friendly this way. It wouldn't have to replace the existing release, just as an optional download.

I finally played through this as well and gotta thank you for making such an inspired, impeccably designed MegaWAD that just keeps on going and surprising you map after map. It definitely feels like classic Doom but more fresh and with way more emphasis on intriguing map design. This stands among the top classic inspired mapsets out there, good job.

P.S.: I especially love the title screen / logo. Well done.

Many things were built around that way and author doesn't want to change structure of resources because spent too much time already making this project.

OK, someone had to do it eventually, so I did it.

Here is a Doom Zero build with all id assets (sounds, textures, sprites) removed, only leaving what has been modified by the author.

<DOWNLOAD REMOVED>

Filesize was reduced from 11.5 MB to 7.45 MB. In theory this should be suited for the idgames archive, provided I didn't make any mistakes during the removal process and everything still works the way it did before (which I couldn't test).

*EDIT Sep 28, 2020*
Since latest version 1.8 has all relevant assets removed, this outdated build is no longer necessary and d/l has therefore been removed.

Edited by NightFright

7 hours ago, NightFright said:

Here is a Doom Zero build with all id assets (sounds, textures, sprites) removed, only leaving what has been modified by the author.

Doom Zero "Vaccinated Edition" (WAD, 7.45 MB)

Filesize was reduced from 11.5 MB to 7.45 MB. In theory this should be suited for the idgames archive, provided I didn't make any mistakes during the removal process and everything still works the way it did before (which I couldn't test).

Weapon sprite offsets will be gone then.

Mostly, yes. That's the price to pay. Pistol and Plasmagun were left untouched since those had visual changes.

On 1/3/2020 at 10:53 AM, NightFright said:

Doom Zero "Vaccinated Edition" (WAD, 7.45 MB)

You should test it first before uploading, then you would've noticed that you deleted the boss sprites. I would appreciate it if you would just let it go. Many of the sprites aren't just there for compatibility reasons. I've also fixed many of them by fixing their alignment and other minor graphical problems. And there will be more visual fixes in ver.1.5. coming out tomorrow. Think of it as another Doom 2 Minor Sprite Fixing Project.

Edited by DASI-I

Strange. I assumed the boss sprites are BBRNA0, BBRNB0 and POL1A0, which are still included. Anyway, my suggestion for the next version would be to provide any original assets which have just received alignment fixes in a separate wad. This way it can be easily omitted and would allow the project to be added to the idgames archives.

*EDIT*
Finished my playthrough with the "castrated" version in GZDoom and it works just fine, including the MAP29 boss fight. It may not work with vanilla, but I wouldn't expect it to.

Edited by NightFright

6 hours ago, NightFright said:

*EDIT*
Finished my playthrough with the "castrated" version in GZDoom and it works just fine, including the MAP29 boss fight. It may not work with vanilla, but I wouldn't expect it to.

That kinda nullifies the point tho, it's supposed to work with doom2.exe.

On 1/9/2020 at 10:30 AM, NightFright said:

my suggestion for the next version would be to provide any original assets which have just received alignment fixes in a separate wad. This way it can be easily omitted and would allow the project to be added to the idgames archives.

On 1/9/2020 at 4:46 PM, maxmanium said:

That kinda nullifies the point tho, it's supposed to work with doom2.exe.

I will probably make a "castrated" version for those that want it, but like what maxmanium said, Doom Zero will remain a fully vanilla compatible mod.
I must say: I'm diapointed that nobody so far has tried to run this on a real DOS machine 😋