Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DASI-I

Doom Zero - launch (and celebrating 25 years of Doom II)

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, DavidN said:

DAS|-|, congratulations for being adopted into the official lineup! You really deserve this, it's an exceptional WAD and it's great that you've been recognized for it. I was confused when people started tagging me on Twitter about this new thing called Doom Zero when I thought I had already played it :)


I wouldn't be surprised if it was your coverage and review of Doom Zero that helped with drawing people's attention to it that maybe led to someone at id Software learning about its existence. Thanks to all you guys that help share Doom Zero with friends and fans. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/30/2020 at 11:40 AM, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

I've been away from the DOOM scene for a while, and was a bit saddened to see that DOOM Zero was only a runner-up for the 2019 Caco Awards. In my book it's easily in my top 5 favorite WADs I've ever completed (pistol start UV-max).

 

Just wanted to put that out there! If @DASI-I ever finds effort/time to produce more WADs, count me in! I'd gladly help as a tester if that is needed as well. <3

 

It's harder to be a solid runner-up in 2018+ (which this was) than it is to sneak into one of the last Cacoward spots in the '00s. People make so much more stuff. So please don't be saddened by that. 10 main awards is just not that many to go around these days.

 

Nothing is on the runners-up list because the committee was unsold, or was anything less than "quite positive" on it. There are just not enough spots for that. 

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw the tweet on Bethesdas twitter and had to do a double take and check if it was your Doom Zero, it was!

Congratulations @DASI-I , the mod is amazing and now more people can play it!

 

PS MR Icurus also did a live stream of it a few weeks back :)

image.png.eab4287c379170a8d129cbb6e6e581da.png

Share this post


Link to post

This wad has some ideas that I haven't seen before. Intriguing to find this in the Bethesda Port. Maybe I'll play some maps.

TIL we can have Doom 2 monsters on Doom 1 IWAD.

 

PS Please post the updated idgames link in the original post, @DASI-I.

Edited by <<Rewind

Share this post


Link to post

Hey, @DASI-I i just realice that, when you first posted about Doom Zero a few years back, you deemed it as a lost third chapter of Final Doom.
Now thats is totally true! 
:D 

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, <

TIL we can have Doom 2 monsters on Doom 1 IWAD.

It's a Doom II mod, it's just that the re-release port allows to play Doom II mod in Doom 1 and vice-versa. That's why the add-ons are actually IWADs, having their own local copies of all the required Doom II resources.

 

And yes that means you aren't allowed to redistribute the official add-on versions. They're only allowed to be obtained by downloading them from within the game when you're logged in on Beth.net.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, rd. said:

 

It's harder to be a solid runner-up in 2018+ (which this was) than it is to sneak into one of the last Cacoward spots in the '00s. People make so much more stuff. So please don't be saddened by that. 10 main awards is just not that many to go around these days.

 

Nothing is on the runners-up list because the committee was unsold, or was anything less than "quite positive" on it. There are just not enough spots for that. 

 

Yeah I'm aware of that. The stupendous talent of mappers nowadays continues to baffle me.

It's only that I found DOOM Zero to be so very creative in a puzzling way that I really haven't seen in a PWAD yet. Granted, I've only played like 10-15 so far, but Zero is definitely among my favourites. :)

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Cinnamon Killjoy said:

It's only that I found DOOM Zero to be so very creative in a puzzling way that I really haven't seen in a PWAD yet. Granted, I've only played like 10-15 so far, but Zero is definitely among my favourites. :)

If you haven't already, i found REKKR mapping style somehow in the same vein of Doom Zero.

And the good old Mordeth TC, Aliens TC, Suspended in Dusk, The Darkening Ep. II, and BTSX serie are kinda on the same style.

They offer a wide array of gameplays, but those are for sure some of the best mapsets out there.

 

This is just my opinion, one that i reach after long years playing this, so a lot of people may think otherwise, but well, this will give you a headstart on where to look for entertaining and interesting mapsets ;)

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, P41R47 said:

If you haven't already, i found REKKR mapping style somehow in the same vein of Doom Zero.

And the good old Mordeth TC, Aliens TC, Suspended in Dusk, The Darkening Ep. II, and BTSX serie are kinda on the same style.

They offer a wide array of gameplays, but those are for sure some of the best mapsets out there.

 

This is just my opinion, one that i reach after long years playing this, so a lot of people may think otherwise, but well, this will give you a headstart on where to look for entertaining and interesting mapsets ;)

 

 

Aye thanks for the tips, it's always welcome. :) BTSX I've done a couple of the few first maps in, but the others not so much. Current project is Memento Mori though but I'll check those out after that.

Share this post


Link to post

A pretty neat 100% walkthrough of Doom Zero with a similar format to BigMacDavis' videos. I think he deserves more views.
Here is the Playlist:

He also seems to be covering all the other official add-ons on his channel. Worth checking out. 

(EDIT):
And while I'm on the subject, David X Newton has a really entertaining let's play if you guys havn't seen it already:
 

 

Edited by DASI-I

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks :) I'd be absolutely delighted to think that my video/article had anything to do with it being picked up :)

 

One thing that's been suggested to me recently is doing a designer's playthrough/commentary and talking about where the ideas came from... that might be a tall order with 32 maps but I'd love to see it if you ever had the inclination :)

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, DavidN said:

One thing that's been suggested to me recently is doing a designer's playthrough/commentary and talking about where the ideas came from... that might be a tall order with 32 maps but I'd love to see it if you ever had the inclination :)


I would definitely be keen on doing something like that :)

Share this post


Link to post
On 12/18/2020 at 3:19 AM, DavidN said:

Thanks :) I'd be absolutely delighted to think that my video/article had anything to do with it being picked up :)

 

One thing that's been suggested to me recently is doing a designer's playthrough/commentary and talking about where the ideas came from... that might be a tall order with 32 maps but I'd love to see it if you ever had the inclination :)

 

14 hours ago, DASI-I said:


I would definitely be keen on doing something like that :)


Oh lord yes please, my body is ready.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, JuanchoES said:

Is this wad supposed to be played at 320x200? @DASI-I

you can play it at whatever resolution you want, pal!

the resolution doesn't change anything from the experience...aside from the look of it.

 

maybe you mean that if this intended to be played on DosBox, or chocolate-Doom?

if thats what you mean, no.

You can play it on whatever sourceport you want.

@DASI-I just used DosBox/Chocolate to show the compatibility

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, P41R47 said:

you can play it at whatever resolution you want, pal!

the resolution doesn't change anything from the experience...aside from the look of it.

 

maybe you mean that if this intended to be played on DosBox, or chocolate-Doom?

if thats what you mean, no.

You can play it on whatever sourceport you want.

@DASI-I just used DosBox/Chocolate to show the compatibility

Yea, i know that i can play the wad in any resolution i want but maybe the creator of the wad wants me to play the wad with the original resolution of doom, the screenshots looks like they are in 320x200 and the video is like a 90 ad of doom.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, JuanchoES said:

Yea, i know that i can play the wad in any resolution i want but maybe the creator of the wad wants me to play the wad with the original resolution of doom, the screenshots looks like they are in 320x200 and the video is like a 90 ad of doom.

 

12 hours ago, P41R47 said:

@DASI-I just used DosBox/Chocolate to show the compatibility

And to imitate TV commercials of the 90's.

 

You know, ''marketing''!

Edited by P41R47

Share this post


Link to post

Congratulations on making it into the Unity port! I beat the initial release sometime ago, it's a stellar work indeed.

Share this post


Link to post

The Dopefish Lives!

Spoiler

 

image.png.e8e77b75479495a2eb3b89e64ed79f05.png

Btw, how do i access his area? I don't know how to do it

 

Edited by JuanchoES

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, JuanchoES said:

Yea, i know that i can play the wad in any resolution i want but maybe the creator of the wad wants me to play the wad with the original resolution of doom, the screenshots looks like they are in 320x200 and the video is like a 90 ad of doom.

In the official add-on version, the various full-screen graphics (title screen, help screen, etc.) are in 426x200. So that's your answer: you should play in 426x200 (stretched to 426x240 for aspect ratio correction).

Share this post


Link to post

As for the dopefish... I have tried to document this non-official secret in the Wiki, but then I have remembered / realised that giving detailed directions in English was never my strong point...

 



1: use that wall (the white one as seen in my automap screenshot).

2: collect the red skull key and go to 3.

 







map11_doomzero.png.94b8757859360972f39a2b32ad317a1f.png

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Scuba Steve said:

Glad you added widescreen support.

Yep. Though it was mandatory, but that's a good thing. It gave me the opportunity (and motivation) to improve some of the artwork.

Share this post


Link to post

Hopefully that widescreen stuff gets backported to the original version :p

 

I downloaded and played Doom Zero to Map 12 the other day, probably never would have heard of it without the official add-on treatment, as my doom time is more and more limited each year. Had fun with it, I liked the silent halls with 5 or less HP map, and the leap gate one. The ruined city at the episode's conclusion was also rather cute.

Share this post


Link to post

Firstly, Great wad; am really enjoying playing Doom Zero, so congratulations for getting it in the unity port!

 

Secondly, as a speedrunner, I'd like to make some demos for this wad to upload to the DSDA! Do you have any idea how many updates you still plan to do when Doom Zero gets added to IDgames?

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, Bob9001 said:

Firstly, Great wad; am really enjoying playing Doom Zero, so congratulations for getting it in the unity port!

 

Secondly, as a speedrunner, I'd like to make some demos for this wad to upload to the DSDA! Do you have any idea how many updates you still plan to do when Doom Zero gets added to IDgames?

Cheers.


Thanks, glad you guys are enjoying it. Yes, I will release a version 1.9 that will be based on the official port. The wide screen assets will be available in an optional wad also. However, I cannot guarantee that it will be done before Christmas, not just because it's the busiest time of the year for me but also because idgames has a pretty outdated  interface and doesn't even have an upload option. Apparently I have to use a special program to get Doom Zero uploaded. Not very intuitive like literally every other file hosting site like ModDB.

Share this post


Link to post

If you can figure out DEHACKED, you can figure out FTP! :p

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×