Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeroa

what is your playstyle

i play like a scared little bitch whose first priority is to find a place to camp and wait for long periods of time for infighting to do most of the job. i avoid using the SSG on imps, shottys and pistol zombies. i usually avoid saves except on very long maps

Edited by jeroa

3 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

It's funny that there are so many similar threads about this...

It's a fine question to ask. I mostly linked the other threads here because I figured it would be interesting for some folks to see if they noticed a change in their "behaviour", or if they stuck with their previous "formula". EDIT: And I also linked it to give the OP more answers to their question than they bargained for, because I'm evil. :P

Well, it starts with hitting tab as soon as I load into a map...

I like to think that seeing the monster count will prepare me mentally and physically. It never does. I also like to see how many secrets I won't find.

Then I commence. For the first five minutes, I play like it's Rainbow Six: Siege -- I'm methodical, careful, hyper-focused on precision and ammo-conservation. Ten minutes in, I'm sprinting everywhere, and 75% of my bullets aren't hitting anything.

I pick up health packs at 95+ HP. (I also do this with ammunition).

I use the SSG for literally everything. Even when it's stupid.

I always save my BFG ammo for that moment I'll really need it. I wind up never using it. I used the SSG when I should've used the BFG.

I transcended my save-scumming ways by adopting the classy, hit console > type "resurrect" approach, because I'm a piece of shit very busy person.

I can manage to block the Arch-Vile's line of sight at the last possible moment with a 2-pixel wide speck of nothing, but can't seem to handle dodging more than two Imp projectiles at a time.

I try every single key-required door before actually acquiring the key, just to see if the author made a boo-boo.

If my Chaingun or Plasma Gun has less than 10 rounds left in it after a fight, I'll just fire off those last few rounds into a wall. I'd rather the weapon be empty than left sitting with 4 rounds. I don't know why.

If an area branches off into two distinct paths, I'll go a few feet down each one trying to determine which is the "main" path, and then go and do the other one first.

There's probably a lot more, but that's all I can think of for now.

I use SS and RL mostly, I never use cells except for pain elementals, archviles and bosses unless it's the only ammo left l have. I rarely use the chaingun but I'm starting to use it more for saving other ammo.

I don't care much for hunting secrets except for those which show their item.

I've left unfinished most wads I've played, I left usually when the tech part ends in those wads with the classic progression.

I'm not too cautious but if I die a couple of times in the map I take it more seriously.

I rarely save but because I'm immersed in the action and I forget to do it.

I always try to 2BFG-shot cyberdemons (I find it very satisfying) but I find very acceptable killing them with 3 shots, I'm bad at dodging revenant and mancubus projectiles but mostly because of lazyness.

Edited by nicolas monti

My style is "Have fun or die trying". I play always on UV, even if map/megawad is too hard for me (after many retires i still beat it and get valuable experience). I LOVE infighting. I play on Eternity Engine (i love Software Renderer), 640x400 or 640x480 resolution, capped framerate. I NEVER use freelook (vertical), crosshair, crouch, jump, any cheats. I don't use mods.

If I waste a single round or misuse any resources, I immediately reload my last savescum. My ammo, armor, and health capacity is nearly always at maximum and my fun capacity is nearly always at zero. 

what is your playstye

Would be a good idea to fix the misspelling in the OP so that this thread can be linked to the next time this thread is started!

19 minutes ago, rdwpa said:

Would be a good idea to fix the misspelling in the OP so that this thread can be linked to the next time this thread is started!

Maybe this thread is actually talking about eye infection instead of playing Doom...

Just now, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I always save my BFG ammo for that moment I'll really need it. I wind up never using it. I used the SSG when I should've used the BFG.

ha, i also save the cells just to end up forgetting to use it

do all of you try and kill all the monsters? i dont play pacifist but i dont try to kill monsters that dont pose a treath and will spare weak ones that took out a more pesky monster during infighting. i also let monsters with a lot of health like barons live when possible so i can keep more ammo

34 minutes ago, jeroa said:

do all of you try and kill all the monsters?

Short answer: yes. 

Longer answer: affirmative.

Jk, it creates a feeling of reward when the tally shows 100% or above, so whether things pose a credible threat or exist to just bark all day, it has to go back from where it came, and I never truly care if it's in my own terms or some comrade/betrayer that kills them for me, as long as there's a carpet of corpses widespread on the floor. Although I say this as a kind of personal rule, occasionally I won't mind leaving things behind that I cannot kill anymore unless I cheat (or they didn't find their way out of isolated sectors, looking at Garrulismo there). That happened a while ago in some maps I wasn't enjoying enough or felt overly impatient to google them in the map, applies to items and secrets. Not proud of this because it meant I wasn't letting myself play the game in healthy conditions. I care about max scores because it's good for me to see my achievement. Anyways, as far as killing stuff with progress, on a first time I might try and off protagonist enemies asap if they probe to be more invasive than I can bare without knowing what to do (e.g. turrets that are there to live til a certain point). In other cases I can feel tedium by certain placements: the so boring imps on ledges™ trope is one case example that I so want to ignore but always end up slowly sniping one by one because they behave like mosquitoes, so pesky. By extension, revenants on ledges(!!), with plenty of space to zigzag, ugh can you don't... 

So yes, I do care everything is dead by the end of the map, if that takes 30 seconds or 1 hour I don't mind (well, I do, but that's another story).

16 hours ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I try every single key-required door before actually acquiring the key, just to see if the author made a boo-boo.

If my Chaingun or Plasma Gun has less than 10 rounds left in it after a fight, I'll just fire off those last few rounds into a wall. I'd rather the weapon be empty than left sitting with 4 rounds. I don't know why.

Yep I do both

I play with a gamepad most of the time because I generally play Doom on my laptop and I don't want to try to mess with touchpad controls and there's no flat surface for a mouse on hand. I like the old school control scheme with shoulder button strafing. I use A to shoot, B to open stuff up, Y to sprint, X to open the map, L and R to strafe, LB and RB to cycle weapons. Before I dug out a gamepad I recently beat Sigil with keyboard only controls. Not easy.

I have only been playing official, vanilla levels of late. 

I rarely cheat but I do make use of in-level saves sometimes.

Even when I'm on my desktop with my mouse I don't turn on vertical free look. Never turn on jumping unless I'm playing a custom .wad that requires it.

The way I approach battles is always different (especially on slaughter maps).  Archviles are always top priority along with chaingunners, pain elementals, and revenants in about that order.  I always play on PC so that I can key-map my Plasma Rifle (Mouse 4) and BFG (Mouse 3) onto my mouse buttons...  You'd be surprised how much that saves your ass in tight situations.

When it comes to the weapons:  Berserk on Pinkies and imps when I need to save ammo, chainsaw is great against cacodemons, pinkies, and spectres when you're cornered, never really use the pistol unless I have to, shotgun is best for medium range-long range sniping on smaller-tier enemies with lots of cover around me, SSG is best for close range with lots of cover and space for medium/high-tier enemies, chaingun is perfect for hordes of hitscanners that are not bundled up in one group...along with the occasional medium-tier enemy, rocket launcher is best for medium-long range enemies that are bunched together in groups along with higher-tier enemies at that range, Plasma rifle is perfect for when you are cornered and/or need to stun lock medium-high tier enemies like the revenant.  BFG 9000 works best against close range swarms when you actually know how the cone-of-damage works and you can maneuver yourself around freely on the battlefield...otherwise use the plasma rifle when you're at a longer distance or when you're cornered.

^I also use the chaingun for sniping on Arachnotrons, lightly tapping the chaingun like a semi-automatic makes it very accurate and easy to stunlock some enemies at a long range.

Conserving ammunition is a must for me, and I tend to switch to shotgun/chainsaw when having to deal with a lone imp/zombieman.

Also I only pick up health when below 50-60% and I dunno why.

I like to UV-Max everything. I'm working my way towards becoming a speed runner. UV-Tyson appeals to me a lot. We shall see. :P I just wanna get better at Doom every time I play. I've been slammin beers and watchin j4rio demos for the last hour or so. :)

I'm sorry I read the title of the thread and all I could think of was this. 

However I do tend to play a little too aggressive for my own good sometimes , end up with many uneccesary deaths.

I end up going with super shotgun rage, (or just shotgun in doom 1) and i'd switch to the rocket if there is a bigger foe, After i kill everyone or get stuck i press tab and just run around the map like a fool until i see a place that wasn't looked through.

I rarely use the chainsaw, and i'd sometimes use the berserk powerup. I don't know why really, i prefer just blasting them with a shotgun, always does the job

I also use the bfg on a big horde that i know i can't handle and always shoot the barrel when there is a enemy nearby even if it kills me.

I've probably answered this before but it's one of a few things:

1: Running so fast I go to the exit and ignore everyone

2: Die every 10 seconds

3: c r e a m my enemies with plasma juice.

4: 100% secrets

or 5: Act really derpy.

Probably the most interesting factor of my playstyle is that I only change weapons when I run out of ammo. As I play continuous, I tend to save juicy powerups to collect before I end the level, so that I can top out my health and armor. In terms of ammo and health pickups, I only use them when I can maximize their bonus - I'll never pick up a stimpack with more than 90% health, for example. When playing a level for the first time, I tend to take note of the interactable objects in each room, so that I never get lost/confused. After scanning a room, I'll tackle in the following order: lifts, switches, doors, teleporters, and finally keyed elements - this ensures I'll explore each level thoroughly and methodically.

I always play pistol start, so keep that in mind.

First few map attempts are mad sort-of pacifist dashes to get the quick and dirty of a map.

After that slow and steady, trying to do 100% monsters and occasionally secrets.

If I replay any map nowadays, I mostly do horrid amalgamations of speedruns and power fantasies. I.e. speedruns with comfortable enough safety strats (hello, e1m2 sphere + chaingun).