Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CasualScrub

Do you prefer Doom 1 or Doom 2?

Not speaking objectively, but just on a subjective level, do you prefer the first or second game? If you'd like, explain.  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Not speaking objectively, but just on a subjective level, do you prefer the first or second game? If you'd like, explain.

22 hours ago, Patch93 said:

It's not so much that they're more complex, in fact it's more so the opposite. The maps generally feel far less polished and don't have nearly as solid of an overall gameplay flow compared to Romero's maps for Episode 1. They also don't have nearly as solid architecture and often don't have as much height variation. The entire red key maze in E2M6 is basically a glorified Wolf3D maze that is boring and tedious to navigate with the dark atmosphere being the only thing going for it. An immersive atmosphere means nothing when the gameplay of your map is lackluster.

Interesting points, but I personally still think they're well designed and play very well, in addition to being accompanied by solid atmosphere and music.

I just see them as being more nonlinear than the first Episode, which is not bad here for me.

Recently posted it in another thread already. I prefer the first part. The atmosphere plays a large role here.

Doom 2 levels tend to be a little bit too long. That on itself wouldn't be too bad. But ca. in the second half the levels become an indistinguishable mess for me. (And don't get me started on the city levels...) In this regard Doom 1 was FAR better. Each episode had it's own style and they all built up to the fight with the end-boss.

The only thing I miss were the really nice additions to the list of enemies in Doom 2.

But atmosphere is much more important to me. I'll always choose the first part.

Doom 2. For me, the episode format and the absence of the SSG is the only thing Doom has going for it and there is an argument to made both ways on both those things.

I feel like Doom's level design is overrated. Most of the E1 maps are well designed but there is (understandably) no difficulty so they are only worth repeat play for nostalgia. Outside E1 the maps don't measure up to Doom 2 at all.

I think the opposing view is due to Doom levels being more accessible and forgiving. There are some design choices that make progression obscure in Doom 2 and it is uneven in terms of some routes being much easier than others but it has Doom 1 beat for repeated play.

I agree with a lot of you that Doom had better atmosphere and story compared to Doom 2 but for years every time I played Doom 2 I thought "there's the first time we see a hell knight" or "wow look it's the first revenant!" and of course what else can I say about the super shotgun... I voted for Doom 1 but that's purely subjective.

Man this one is a hard one for me. I like Doom 2 because of it's new enemies, all of them are great besides pain elemental (yes i like archvile, no i am not human) and the super shotgun, but i'd go with Doom 1 because it has a great atmosphere, level design and flow, if Doom 2 had that then i would have voted for it

Doom 1's maps are a bit more balanced and tightly designed than Doom 2's, and the soundtrack is definitely better, but Doom 2 features some of the very best enemies in any video game (including my favorite; The Archvile), and has one of the best weapons in any video game; The Super Shotgun. Doom 2's maps are also a bit more ambitious and varied than Doom 1's. Some of the gimmicks and traps in Doom 2 don't appeal to everyone, but I ultimately find Doom 2's maps more fun to play. Doom 2 also has some of my favorite Easter Eggs in a video game. Doom 2 is easily my preferred game. 

Posted (edited)
On 9/28/2019 at 9:51 AM, kaleb. said:

i prefer Doom 2 for the more enemies and of course the super shotgun. plus i feel like the levels are just more fun and well laid out.

Doom 1 is good but honestly i think only KDITD is the only truly *great* episode on it. episode 2 is good, not great. episode 3 is just ok, and episode 4 is a real mixed bag imo.

I'd say episode 2 is just alright and episode 3 is crap. The only map I really liked in that entire episode was Mt. Erebus due to it's open sandbox design being a precursor of sorts to Sandy's city maps in Doom 2. Pandemonium was alright, but everything else was below average. House of Pain and Warrens feel like they were cobbled together at the last minute.

I thought Episode 4 was pretty good. I found the drop in difficulty after E4M2 to be a bit disappointing, but I felt the episode overall was still very well made, and a vast improvement over the original registered episodes.

Off-topic: Love how the poll is balanced.

On-topic: Doom II for me, I tend to judge WADs by the gameplay options its levels present, and the Doom II levels in general play better than the Doom ones.

Doom II, because of 2 reasons:

-It's the first Doom that I've ever played and the game that I replayed the most.

-I remember the first time I played Doom I and the fighting felt kinda repetitive in comparison to Doom II, because of the variety of monsters and because of the strategy that I had to use in order to succeed.

I know that I'm putting so much emphasis on combat, but that's why I play Doom even nowadays. I don't care about atmosphere.

Posted (edited)

I love the idea of Doom II. Bigger shotgun, bigger enemies, more levels, yet I feel Doom 1 is the superior game despite limitations of campaigns, enemies, and so on. It's levels feel more fun, it's less brown even if more grey at the start.

There's also a charm about how rough the levels are after the first episode that the second Doom doesn't have with its cities and conformed locations.

1 has way better maps. A lot more interesting to explore and IIRC more optional sections. There are hardly any maps I dislike (e4m4, hrmph), and I do a lot more weapon switching due to no SSG and less abundant ammo.

2 wins hardcore in monster variety and *somewhat* in uniqueness of maps (more gimmicky shit, for better and worse) but a lot of the game feels so unfinished  in comparison to most of 1.

If we're talking the base games with no mods, I'd still pick Doom 2 because of the much improved gameplay. Doom 1 is just so limiting in enemy variety that I'd honestly play any other IWAD instead. Now don't get me wrong, I think Doom 1 has better atmosphere and cohesive sense of progression compared to Doom 2, as well as better music, but the core gameplay has not aged nearly as well.

Doom 1 has better music but Doom 2 has better (insert everything else here)

Episode select sux I wanna keep my guns god dammit!! also e2-e4 is uglier than most of Doom 2 how am I one of the only people to notice this

Posted (edited)

You know, lack of episode selection was a pretty double-edged sword for Doom 2. This is because it removed any and all mandatory pistol starts which definitely affected the balancing of the game.

I remember reading a quote in which Sandy expressed his disappointment with the difficulty of the final product a while ago, saying that the game was balanced for pistol starts, but most players started the maps with significant power ups and arsenal and they ultimately ended up making the game too easy. I have to agree here, continuous play definitely trivializes the difficulty, pistol starts manage to add a bit more difficulty to some levels.

The removal of the episodic format in itself was a good idea I'd say, but Doom 2 was definitely not balanced for it.

Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, seed said:

I remember reading a quote in which Sandy expressed his disappointment with the difficulty of the final product a while ago, saying that the game was balanced for pistol starts, but most players started the maps with significant power ups and arsenal and they ultimately ended up making the game too easy. I have to agree here, continuous play definitely trivializes the difficulty, pistol starts manage to add a bit more difficulty to some levels.

But wasn't that about Doom 1 actually? I read somewhere that Sandy was specifically talking about E3M8. He said that the level was meant to be more challenging that E2M8 (and really it is more challenging than E2M8 when pistol started) but since most players played it continuously, that level became a joke because of players having BFG.

I personally think that Doom 2 actually did a better job at balancing continuous play compared to Doom 1 despite the lack of episodic pistol starts.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

But wasn't that about Doom 1 actually? I read somewhere that Sandy was specifically talking about E3M8. He said that the level was meant to be more challenging that E2M8 (and really it is more challenging than E2M8 when pistol started) but since most players played it continuously, that level became a joke because of players having BFG.

I personally think that Doom 2 actually did a better job at balancing continuous play compared to Doom 1 despite the lack of episodic pistol starts.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall that was also referring to Doom 2. I think the question Sandy was asked was whether he regrets something about Doom and the answer was something to this effect.

I think Doom 2 didn't do a really great job for continuous. Sure, just like you mentioned Doom didn't fare much better either, but at least you didn't get a RL on the very first map of the game and got to keep it til the very end, lol.

There is a secret RL on E3M1 but still...

Edited by seed

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Doomkid said:

also e2-e4 is uglier than most of Doom 2 how am I one of the only people to notice this

Episode 4 has better use of overall texturing than both of the original registered episodes though. I'd say they're both equal, given that Sandy has never been known for making visually pleasing maps and is more focused on making them fun to play, at least with Doom 2.

As far as lack of episodes are concerned, just type idclev12 and idclev21 so you can play both the city and hell chapters of Doom 2 from pistol starts. That's how I do it.

Edited by Patch93

1 hour ago, Patch93 said:

As far as lack of episodes are concerned, just type idclev12 and idclev21 so you can play both the city and hell chapters of Doom 2 from pistol starts. That's how I do it.

Or press the map reload key if using PrBoom :p.

Why not both with Wadsmoosh? Granted if I had to pick one, Wadsmoosh is it so I can be decisively indecisive.

As far as I'm concerned, Doom II is just an IWAD platform to run community WADs on. I dislike most of the maps in it, and I never feel like replaying it, unlike The Ultimate Doom.

Posted (edited)

Doom 2 iwad as a platform for pwads, SSG, and more monsters

Edited by Inf3cted

I chose doom 2 but its close for me. Doom 1's levels are better but 2 has more assets. I go back and forth on this pretty much every day.

I prefer Doom2 over the rest, but only for the weapons and monsters.

I actually prefer the levels/atmosphere of Doom1 over Doom2.

For me : Doom 2 > Doom 2016 / Doom 1 (tied) > Doom 64 > > > Doom 3

My favorite custom mix of Doom is MetaDoom + Doom 2's engine + Doom 1's levels (converted for use in Doom 2).

Though the Doom3 and Doom 2016 rips feel out of place.

I perfer Doom 2 over Doom 1. I just like the new enemies that were added into the game that have their own twist on the players encouters. 

Spoiler

Except for the pain elemental the brown cunt

However my main beef with Doom 2 is how brown it is