Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
icecoldduke

Doom 3 Virtual Texturing

Hey,

If I'm creating too many threads, please let me know mods. As some of you know I've moved away from clipmapping(ETQW megatexture streaming method) and moved over to virtual texturing. 

Here's a full playthrough of Mars City1 using my virtual texturing code. After the initial cutscene, I change the vt debug type(the bit that's drawing the numbers of the pages), and you can see the game retranscoding all of the images, to add the new debug information to the pages. 

I measured load times compared to Doom 3 vanilla and RBDoom3BFG. Basically the test is run the game with the command line arg +devmap game/mars_city2, and timer starts at the first black screen(timer starts at 0:09 seconds, and ends at 0:17). This is also a debug build so my load times will be even faster in a release build.

Doom 3 Base ultra settings: Cold Boot to mars_city2 22 seconds.

RB Doom 3 BFG: Cold Boot to mars_city2 14.5 seconds.

IcedTech Doom 3 Vanilla: Cold Boot to mars_city2 8 seconds.

This video also shows virtual texture mipmapping working.

This is really amazing work. Thank you for posting your progress and demonstrations.

Will definitely be tuned in. I'm just sad that it's not ready for the play-through I just started! ;)

I realize this is in early stages, but I was wondering what you might expect the compatibility with Dhewm3 to be?

Thank you for the reply. The usage case, essentially, is to use the most modern variety of doom3 (such as Dhewm3) and push it further. I'm not interested in things like sikkmod or other modifications that alter the "nature" of the game. I just don't enjoy oily textures, buggy hdr or extraordinary texture shimmering, etc.

It's very encouraging to see a project like this one, working on megatextures implementation, as it fuels the imagination and may even represent a technological/graphical improvement much more measurable and less subjective than things like sikkmod.

I also acknowledge that you appear to be working on these projects as a way to teach yourself, learn and create - not necessarily to satisfy my personal nerdy idtech4/doom 3 play-through desires, so I am grateful enough that the project even exists.

About to test IcedTech in a moment as the sound conversions have just completed. Took about 30-40min? Not too bad I don't think. Xeon s771@4.2Ghz 8GB DDR2@1100

EDIT: unfortunately, I cannot seem to launch successfully.  "Wrong game DLL API version"

Darklight warnings.zip

Edited by Shep

12 hours ago, Shep said:

Thank you for the reply. The usage case, essentially, is to use the most modern variety of doom3 (such as Dhewm3) and push it further. I'm not interested in things like sikkmod or other modifications that alter the "nature" of the game. I just don't enjoy oily textures, buggy hdr or extraordinary texture shimmering, etc.

It's very encouraging to see a project like this one, working on megatextures implementation, as it fuels the imagination and may even represent a technological/graphical improvement much more measurable and less subjective than things like sikkmod.

I also acknowledge that you appear to be working on these projects as a way to teach yourself, learn and create - not necessarily to satisfy my personal nerdy idtech4/doom 3 play-through desires, so I am grateful enough that the project even exists.

About to test IcedTech in a moment as the sound conversions have just completed. Took about 30-40min? Not too bad I don't think. Xeon s771@4.2Ghz 8GB DDR2@1100

EDIT: unfortunately, I cannot seem to launch successfully.  "Wrong game DLL API version"

Darklight warnings.zip

Thank you for your support :).

That error was caused by me including a debug gamex86.dll in the release package and NOT a release package, so you didn't have the runtimes. I have fixed the release and the new binary package is up here:

https://github.com/jmarshall23/IcedTech/releases/tag/v0.01

12 hours ago, Shep said:

Darklight warnings-fixed1.zip

I did a fresh installation and re-ran the *.bat's but was unable to proceed. Thank you for your assistance.

Try deleting you game pk4 files in bsse, also make sure you extracted everything from the fixed package out properly. It looks like in dkbase is the wrong game dll or even missing it entirely.

Try installing to a fresh directory, and make sure your using the new binary release.

6 hours ago, icecoldduke said:

Try deleting you game pk4 files in bsse, also make sure you extracted everything from the fixed package out properly. It looks like in dkbase is the wrong game dll or even missing it entirely.

When using run.bat, it will always pull the gamex86.dll from game03.pk4 and replace the 4mb gamex86.dll from dkbase with the 2mb file included in game03.pk4. Removing the .pak files will curb the behavior, but even after manually instituting the 4mb gamex68.dll I was unable to proceed.

6 hours ago, icecoldduke said:

Try installing to a fresh directory, and make sure your using the new binary release.

I am using the new binary release but will maybe have to try changing directories. Not giving up yet!

Darklight warnings-fixed1-2.zip

1 hour ago, Shep said:

When using run.bat, it will always pull the gamex86.dll from game03.pk4 and replace the 4mb gamex86.dll from dkbase with the 2mb file included in game03.pk4. Removing the .pak files will curb the behavior, but even after manually instituting the 4mb gamex68.dll I was unable to proceed.

I am using the new binary release but will maybe have to try changing directories. Not giving up yet!

Darklight warnings-fixed1-2.zip

So have you tried deleting all of the gamexxx.pk4 in base?

Thanks again for your support :). 

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear. To manually implement your .dll the pk4 files have to be removed.

Been tinkering for most of the afternoon, haven't solved it yet but I'm also bouncing around between a few doom3 items. ;)

7 hours ago, Shep said:

Yes, sorry I should have been more clear. To manually implement your .dll the pk4 files have to be removed.

Been tinkering for most of the afternoon, haven't solved it yet but I'm also bouncing around between a few doom3 items. ;)

I've fixed the game pk4 issue: https://github.com/jmarshall23/IcedTech/commit/5b280734d3bd576736741bc1168a42436e2aaf85 it will be in the next binary release. Have you encountered any other issues?

Fixed! Now I can finally see it in action!

Running the game once in native mode, removing the pk4 files AND creating a new install directory were required to get it functioning. Now on to making it fit my monitor (16:10).

I found my way to the discord somehow and learned that IcedTech is more than megatextures, but rather, an entire port? I'm still picking up the pieces, but from what I am seeing - I will be happy to leave Dhewm and fhDoom behind me.

Thanks again for your work.