Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NoReason

Death in Excess (slaughterwad)

Okay I've beaten all of the maps now and all I can say is WOW. Just WOW. Seems like the big maps were where you were hiding the good stuff, because holy cow these maps are fantastic. Seriously, they're almost perfect. I have no complaints at all about maps 5, 8, and 32. map 16 had some incredibly incredibly minor issues. Seriously I don't know how this isn't more popular on here because this is one of the greatest slaughterwads of all time for me.

I'll put everything in a spoiler this time to avoid a wall of text.

Spoiler

Map16:

This is probably the second hardest map I've ever beaten. This one gave me a ton of trouble in some parts, but it was always fun trouble, I was never really frustrated (except for one part). Visuals were absolutely astounding in my opinion. The fight that gave me a ton of trouble was this one: (Ignore the green linedefs)

imageedit_1_2001898140.png.76fc96e4cac2f7f3eb0d04c9a714e533.png

I literally thought this fight was impossible at first. Is it made to be this hard? I would be interested if you could give some commentary. The big problem for me was ammo. I ended up having to savescum my way through it and ended with like 15 rockets and 0 cells. What is your strategy?

Also if you go back into the blue skull key area after you've already visited it there's a potential to softlock, because as far as I know, you can't lower the bars more than once, but they can lock you in more than once. This room:

imageedit_3_7577328416.png.08830e1369a38f2f513b027da41a3ef8.png

And the big thing I wanted to talk about was this:

imageedit_5_7920968840.png.6c00b998bce12e3ce38a6abe86d66e3e.png

I got softlocked at this shootable switch because I had no shells or bullets. Rockets and cells can't activate it. I had to use IDFA and expend my ammo to where it was originally. This also ruined the pink bfg surprise haha. I think you should at least add a clip there.

Map32:

Holy crap. I was not ready for this. Definitely the hardest map I've ever beaten, but holy cow was it an exhilarating experience. The very first lowering arena after you go up the stairs was by far the hardest part. I ended up having to look in the editor and found that there were invulnerabilities. The rest of the map was very punishing indeed. My doom skills were definitely stretched to their limit, and I think I actually learned some things and became a better player in the process of playing this map.

The second hardest room for me was the huge room with the conveyors. I had to use a total of five midsaves I think. I never really developed a strategy, I think I just got lucky a couple times. I never got frustrated, though, because I couldn't help but laugh every time I died, watching the enemies ride the conveyors. I don't really have any more feedback for you, I just wanted to share my story. Also if you don't mind, what's your intended strategy for these two fights? Do you have as much trouble as I do beating them?

@mArt1And00m3r11339 Here was my strategy for that room:

Spoiler

I'm not sure why you are having so much trouble with this one, as I found it to be one of the easiest fights in the map (unless I got lucky), but I guess we all have our strengths and weaknesses. Anyways, here was the strategy I came up with:

1. Attack the northeast corner with the imps and archvile, and kill the archvile and most imps.

2. U-strafe around the remaining enemies, moving from the northwest corner, to the northeast corner, and then the southeast corner, and back again. Do this until the hell knights in the northwest are all the way out of their closet.

3. Get behind said hell knights and barage them with bfg, hugging the southwest corner of their closet. Try to dodge their attacks by moving mostly forward and back, not left and right, as they will spread out if you strafe sideways. Also a few archviles will come out too from that little hallway.

4. When they are about to corner you, run around them to the left and back into the main room. After this, I found the cybers had mostly cleaned up everything that threatened my space. I don't remember what I did after this, I think I just winged it and ran around like a maniac because health and ammo were very forgiving, in my opinion.

Also: There's enough BFG ammo to just spam it, so I was holding down fire the whole time I was doing these four things.

Thanks for a great wad and for helping to further hone my doom skills! I had an absolute blast playing these maps and I'm looking forward to your next project.

Also I'll add that I still have the version where otex is not packaged with the wad, so some of these may be fixed now, idk.

Edit: Also looks like you already uploaded to idgames, so I guess it's too late for fixes.

Edited by Arbys550

Apologies for the late reply, I was away for the holidays. Glad you enjoyed the bigger maps, Arbys.

As for the issues you point out in map16

1 - That fight was unintentionally made much tighter on ammo because I forgot to add more ammo in proportion to the amount of cacodemons added. Originally it's pretty damn tough, but not near impossible as it is your version.

Spoiler

For reference that fight originally had half the amount of cacos, but one of my playtesters managed to survive on the stairs and sort of cheese it, thus I added more.

2 - Ah well, that's just an oversight on my part. I think I even found this one yet it still slipped my mind somehow. This one really bugs me because it wouldn't even exist if those lines weren't repeatable.

3 - I suppose that could be prevented by placing a clip there.

I believe only #1 is fixed in the final version. I'll try to find some time to fix the wad and reupload it but that may be some time from now as life is pretty busy and I've already moved on to other things. Still, thanks for reporting.

As for 32

Spoiler

The first section is easy for me, but that's because I made it so I already know everything. I actually toned it down a bit, there were originally mancubi sitting on the BFG but that made your start essentially down to RNG so I removed them. (I don't remember if they are still there in the release candidate, if they are then you know what I'm talking about).

The big conveyor fight is probably one of my favorite fights I've ever made, and yeah it is hilarious but that's the idea . The general strategy there I'd say is to keep moving and taking out imps in the first wave, then try to get into a good position for the viles so you can immediately kill a few with the BFG and then find cover/get health/ammo, etc. Keep in mind the megaspheres in the blood, so rushing is a somewhat viable strategy there once things begin to clear, so long as there aren't too many viles on you. I think that fight is fairly tough in general, if someone could beat it in one go I'd be impressed.

Level 16 have many micro room battle. If I lost, one load can cost 15-30 minuts....

Should I wait before fix?

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

5 hours ago, NoReason said:

I'd recommend not waiting. I will try to fix things soon, but I can't give a specific time.

If I create a demo and you fix this level. My demo will not work...

14 hours ago, NoReason said:

I'd recommend not waiting. I will try to fix things soon, but I can't give a specific time.

All levels are passable. Which level do you want change?

Edited by CrazyDoomguy

I think, I done all maps except map 31 because I dont know which category need to do. In this map is icon of sin and UV-Max is impossible. Besides I dont like "Speed" category...

Here is playlist of all maps.

Playlist

The wad has been updated, unintentional soft locks are (hopefully) entirely removed. This shouldn't desync any demos though, and from what I've watched so far it hasn't.

I will go ahead and bump this thread but the above comment is a playlist of maps that I have completed from this WAD (note that several of the demos are tool-assisted). The only map that is left now as of me writing this comment is level 16. Level 16 is going to be a hard one so that one is going to have to be done at a later time.

Metal guite map resembless grey corridors in first part.Next plasma energy spam.Last room was some interesting for bfg crushing.                                     

Bloody hell into death corridors.                                                                                                                                                                                     

Holy slaughter sanctuary containing more mosaics.                                                                                                                                                           

Flametroid slaughter map contains excellent battles.Collection all skull and keys for final fight.Last part was frustration joke for this level,because getting red bfg you destroying everyone on your path.                                                                                                                                       

DIEM16UVMAX TAS 4147.zip