Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Walter confetti

Emulate ambient sounds with vanilla doom?

Question

Is it possible to emulate ambient sounds fx like in heretic or hexen using whacked4 for vanilla doom? Is for a project I working on....

9 answers to this question

Yeah, monsters make sounds when they roam around, so you can use that to make a "monster" that can't be shot, doesn't count for kills, and doesn't move (speed 0) but will semi-randomly emit sounds.

Of course what you can do with it is both limited and limiting.

If you don't mind the sound playing at preset intervals, you can use a mobj's pain sound field instead of it's roaming sound.

But yes, it's a choice between the preset intervals using the pain sound field allows or the active sound that plays randomly.

If you only want a sound to play once, you can use a mobjs see sound or death sound (i.e when the 'monster' see's you it immediately disappears or you can use a crusher to kill it when the player crosses a line that triggers said crusher).

Laz Rojaz's WolfenDoom wads feature lot's of ambient sounds done in a vanilla compatible way.

1 hour ago, Walter confetti said:

Is it possible to emulate ambient sounds fx like in heretic or hexen using whacked4 for vanilla doom? Is for a project I working on....

for vanilla doom? you could find a monster you don't want(lost souls, because fuck those assholes), replace all sounds for that monster with ambient shit and place them in rooms outside the map.

By increasing the duration of the chase states you can make the random noise happen less often.

Caveats:

1. Sounds will come from a local origin, unlike the Heretic sounds which are omnidirectional (I suspect global too, but not sure). You can however replace the Romero head pain sound if you want a global choice.
  2. It will be all loud and noisy, because DOOM sounds take a long distance to attenuate, unlike conventional static ambient sounds which end quickly.
  3. If you make these monsters move, they will follow you like ghosts!

7 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

for vanilla doom? you could find a monster you don't want(lost souls, because fuck those assholes), replace all sounds for that monster with ambient shit and place them in rooms outside the map.

Also you could activate crushers just before the exit for 100% kills.

+1 to printz

I'm not sure about the idle method, but you can use the attack state to activate your sound and control the chase duration as printz said - so you will have the RNG factor but also a better control of how long will take before the next sound (if you don't mind losing an action codepointer for that). Using the BrainPain for a global effect is indeed a good choice if you want something closer to Heretic.

I'm not sure, but I think you don't need to sacrifice any monster to make the invisible one - you can turn a decoration into a monster.

Edited by Noiser

On 9/29/2019 at 5:29 AM, Noiser said:

I'm not sure, but I think you don't need to sacrifice any monster to make the invisible one - you can turn a decoration into a monster.

Eh, I tried this the first time I made it (using Dead lost soul and guys and bones 2 thing) but it didn't work, including the new thing sprites I made (they worked on gzdoom, at least).