Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1

Trying to create a stand alone game

Trying to create a stand alone game so I'm sure this is the first of what will be many questions.

First question is this: Do ACS scripts need to be compiled for GZDoom and are they just stuck in a folder /SCRIPTS?

Follow up: can you just use the file system instead of a WAD/PK3/PK7 until it's all finalized?

Thanks.

PS. I accidentally appended a "1" to my username (same name, just different font), can any mod remove the 1 for me since otherwise I'd have to wait a  year? Thanks.

56 minutes ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

Trying to create a stand alone game so I'm sure this is the first of what will be many questions.

First question is this: Do ACS scripts need to be compiled for GZDoom and are they just stuck in a folder /SCRIPTS?

Follow up: can you just use the file system instead of a WAD/PK3/PK7 until it's all finalized?

Thanks.

PS. I accidentally appended a "1" to my username (same name, just different font), can any mod remove the 1 for me since otherwise I'd have to wait a  year? Thanks.

by standalone do you mean a total conversion? 

26 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

by standalone do you mean a total conversion? 

yeah but with my own IWAD equivalent.

I know what I need to do at a high level, but getting there is unclear.

Looks like custom iwads need to have a .ipk3 extension and an IWADINFO lump and have to be a single file.

Looks like ACS scripts are compiled as .o objects but are inserted with maps.

So how does one going about defining custom game modes?

Edited by 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1

first question: I don't understand what you want to do with acs, just write them in gzdoombuilder to the associated map and they will be a part of the map wad. if you want to do anything fancier use zscript

second question: not as far as I know, the best you can do is create a folder where all everything is and just before testing create a zip file using winrar and renaming it to ipk3(apparently pk3 and zip are the exact same thing) but I don't see why you would want that, I had no trouble using slade so far, and it gives access to some very usefull features specificly made for this engine.