Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedDude

Which do you hate more, shot gunners or chaingunners?

I’ve heard a lot of people say that chai gunners are their worst enemy in Doom, but for me I have more trouble with shotgunners. Which one do you hate more?

Chaingunners. Shotgunner may cause more damage in a single shot, but at least they are open to attack afterwards. Not such luck with chaingunners... And they have less health, too.

Heavy Weapon Dudes.

With -fast monsters, they are both dangerous but Shotgun Guys are fragile at least. They also have a small delay between shots even on -fast, meaning you will at most take one full blast at close range

If a Heavy Weapon Dude surprises you at close range, you will lose a ton of health. On top of your screen constantly blinking red, they also have a lot more health, sometimes even surviving a normal shotgun blast.

At lone range, HWDs are exceptionally annoying, even more so when they are above or below you and out of auto-aim range. Their constant inaccurate spraying is bound to hit you occasionally and they have much more chances to do so than the SG who might chip you with one of the pellets every 3 shots or so.

Chaingunners. They do the damage of the shotgunner before you can react unless you are targeting them anyway. They mask sounds especially if 8 is the limit. They force you to kill them or run away from the area. They also skyrocket in threat with numbers faster than any other monster because of their stupid hitscan barrage. 

I can't say I really hate either so much as I'd hate level design that forgets armor or puts me into a circle of either.

With that said, I think chaingunners win since they have a more constant attack.

I believe there was a ranking somewhere that confirmed chaingunners were the worst in terms of how they behaved in the game.

Edited by Fused

22 minutes ago, Fused said:

I believe there was a ranking somewhere that confirmed chaingunners were the worst in terms of how they behaved in the game.

Probably this one.

Chaingunners. They can somehow pelt you with a hail of bullets even at long, long distances.

At least the shotgunners, while they can deliver a deadly blow to you at close to mid-ranges if you are careless around them, there is a delay between each shot they take. The chaingunners can hold down the fire button practically forever.

I always shoot the Shotgunners and Chaingunners at first sight. Get them before they get you and try to suck them into infighting, especially Chaingunner vs Cacodemon.

Chaingunners. Rapid fire, more health, lower pain chance than the sergeants. More versatile in placement too.

Neither and I don't get it why all the hate for the hitscanners. I mean, I get it if it's on Nightmare, but I doubt that that's the difficulty most hitscan-haters play on.

I like both of them, especially former sergeants.  Heavy weapon dudes are really nice for some added spice ;)

Edited by KillPixel

With no set situation here, nothing can be told. If you are running Nightmare!, and you have only 0.5 second to expose to something, in this case, Shotgunner is worse than Chaingunner because they can immediately deal a lot of damage while Chaingunners rely on continuously dealing damage. However, if you're talking about snipers on Ultra-Violence, Chaingunners are the worst even they don't have very high accuracy in long range, but their constantly poking you is really annoying.

I actually love both of these enemies. I think Doom's combat would lose something special if the entire bestiary were projectile-based threats. 

That said, sometimes I can hate how they're used. But that's something else entirely. I'm sure I could learn to hate any Doom monster in the right scenario.

if a shotgunner shot you then a chaingunner in same spot had time to hit you twice unless you have unnatural reaction luck (shot him in 4 tics after first hit). Even better you had 9 tics to react on first shot to avoid getting hit by a 3rd shot. Chaingunner dps skyrockets afterward.  

Shotgunners burst advantage over chaingunners is extremely overblown and only matters if you'd have died from the extra bullet most of the time.

19 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

I actually love both of these enemies. I think Doom's combat would lose something special if the entire bestiary were projectile-based threats. 

That said, sometimes I can hate how they're used. But that's something else entirely. I'm sure I could learn to hate any Doom monster in the right scenario.

Shotgunners are one of the most fun enemies.

I don't hate any of the monsters, but I will say Chaingunner is more lethal since you can quickly go from 100 to dead if you're caught unaware.

That said they are valuable for infighting since they hit whatever is in front of them instantly. Ever see a Chaingunner solo kill a Mancubus? It's a good time.

8 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Galaxy brain: Shotgunners and Chaingunners are both vastly superior to Zombiemen

I would compare Zombiemen with flies - gray and annoying.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Galaxy brain: Shotgunners and Chaingunners are both vastly superior to Zombiemen

Zombiemen are designed to be fodder. Gives you something to shoot in between actual threats. They may seem pointless but they have their place.

Dying from a chaingunner just feels cheap, mappers rarely place them well and they can bring your health from 100 to 36 in the span of less than a second.