Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomedDude

Which do you hate more, shot gunners or chaingunners?

None if they don't represent the only credible danger in wads with multiple maps. Hate is too much drama for animated characters from a videogame. Besides hitscanners can be very good enemies in many places. So when nothing else harms, in a sense that hitscan enemies always steal the attention, it's a sign that something else there is failing in their roles. 

I do prefer chaingunners to sergeants, but I like to see both active in maps for which I'll remember them existing and cooperating. Even want nazi soldiers to frequent in mapsets with different sprites as they're usually dismissed or replaced, they're as valid as every other enemy type.

Ironically, I don't miss chaingunners when playing Doom 1 maps.

2 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

pain elementals. i love archviles.

did you read the question.

Anyways I hate chaingunners and shotgunner the same. But if anything pisses me off it's the nazis in the 2 secret levels

Shotgunners are assholes no matter the situation. Every second one of them is around, you may get pelted for 45%, or 30% if you're further away.

Chainers don't do that shit, they stand still, they start hurling hitscan, if left unchecked they'll kill you, but they'll never burst your ass for 45% and cripple your run.

In conclusion: Shotgunners suck, because they're even more RNG than chaingunners.

14 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

you may get pelted for 45%

Not to mention that red screen can potentially screw you even further.

I find shotgunners can be more annoying sometimes. A chaingunner is ALWAYS dangerous, so you get used to it; a shotgunner will occasionally hit you for 40% randomly out-of-nowhere. Cue the expletives.

Doom 2 has somehow managed to create vastly more annoying monsters than Doom 1.

My memories of chaingunners will forever be tainted by Plutonia which managed to get the worst out of them by either placing them in spots where I couldn't shoot them without mouselook or by placing an Arch Vile behind them so that they cannot be taken out.

Shotgunners only become a problem if they come in packs where it is not possible to take them out quickly.

Consider: it takes one shell to kill a shotgunner, and they drop a shotgun with four shells. So basically, shotgunners are +3 shells bonus items. However, it takes 8-to-10 bullets to kill a chaingunner, and they drop a chaingun with 10 bullets. This makes chaingunners basically just a +1 bullet bonus on average.

I find it funny when the level designer places a long line of chaingunners (often covering more sides) in a monster closet that opens next to you. 

Lost Souls is my answer.

Seriously though, I don't mind either. I don't play with Nightmare though, so can't speak for that, but on UV I've never been frustrated by them in any of the commercial wads (including Plutonia). I've always felt that the kind of wobbly sidewinder movement helps with the chaingunners, but that's probably just an illusion. But I've never ever felt cheated by them. Shotgunners are more dangerous, but not problematic.

Lost Souls on the other hand... fuck Lost Souls.

Former sergeants are annoying at close range due to how much the can chip off in 1 blast however far away they're not nearly as dangerous, plus they die easily.

Chaingunners however might as well be aimbotters. Very high accuracy, pretty quick reaction times and most importantly, rarely die to 1 shotgun blast (rarely can survive 1 super shotty blast as well(At medium range)).

10 minutes ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Very high accuracy,

Their accuracy is the same as the other hitscan monsters. What makes them so much more dangerous is only the high rate of fire.

1 minute ago, Graf Zahl said:

Their accuracy is the same as the other hitscan monsters. What makes them so much more dangerous is only the high rate of fire.

Really? I always thought former humans deliberately aimed poorly... Huh, nice to know. :)

They hit poorly, however when they roll the dice 50 times while other zombies only roll it once or twice during the same period, they're going to score a lot more hits.

When thinking of the Chaingunner's lethality, I always remember this demo, especially the section starting at 10:35. Notice how fast he goes from 354 (health + armor) to almost 0.

Plays Plutonia. Hey, this is a neat looking castle level (elevator rises 5 chaingunners on each side of the courtyard). Muh der fuh....

Shotgunners I feel if I get hit by it was my mistake, I just didn't react fast enough before they animate. Chaingunners don't have a telegraph that is long enough. Or Open Season in TNT. Good god, yeah put me in a low ground scenario with chain gunners two platforms up so I can't hit them without freelook and I just have to rely on moving fast enough. 

Fuckin chaingunners man. Combined with archvilles, they are why I will prefer playing Ultimate Doom over Doom 2.

It's especially horrible when the wadder puts them in an area where they basically snipe you.

On 10/1/2019 at 8:16 AM, mewbusi said:

Probably this one.

God. Just watching this video gives me anxiety.

Maybe shotgunner, because he's burst damage while chaingunner is stream damage, and burst damage is always a thing that bothers more trained fps players than stream damage, as in case of chaingunner you can simple fight them back before they get to their full potential. Both are top tier most deadliest and annoying enemies in doom 2 that you can't do much against them, though. That's the price you pay for using a hitscan weapon I guess, it's like the game is trying to remind you "well, you like hitscan guns like ssg? Now experience them against yourself then!". But then again, I've seen less shotgunners than chaingunners stacked in a single room\area, which is why chaingunner seem to gather worsen reputation.

I like those guys, don't hate them at all, what i actually hate is when mappers use them in a dickish way. I hate when i'm low in health and then after passing trough a hallway, suddenly walls raise revealing  2 or more monster closets with 5 chaingunners each, or when they instantly pop out of the floor right in front of you. I also hate when shotgunners are placed as snipers in places where you don't notice at first glance, specially when unarmored.

Chaingunners create much higher levels of frustration for me.  One that spawns in at close range and starts firing right away can shred a lot of health.

Spies lone chaingunner that hasn't been alerted.

Pull out my own chaingun and start firing away point-blank.

It seemingly doesn't feel pain long enough to fire a shot off despite being pelted with lead.

Proceed to reload game and have it happen 10 more times in a row regardless of distance because Doom RNG has decreed it to be so.  Dammit game.

Edited by Crusader No Regret