Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
memes4lyfe

why is doom 64 so expensive?

He might be looking at like Complete-In-Box listings or something.

Or someone's just trying to sucker him.

You get what you pay for.

Doom 64 is arguably the greatest Doom ever made.

Open for arguments (change my mind) =D

Your avatar doesn't match the animations in the second thread. Could you post that version of the animation full res?

I'd have to check to see if I still have the file. It may have been lost to time. If you do a search though, I believe there's a revenant encounter story with its own full sized image, if that's of any interest. 

If your looking at never opened never played then yeah its gonna cost hundreds of dollars (for some reason) But if you look for just the cartridge it would be like $10-$20

I bought the cartridge by itself back in 2003 for $8. Going cost for all N64 at Software Etc. at the time. Still works. So yeah, prices for a loose cartridge are fine if you just want to play the game. If you want an unopened copy for collector purposes, you gonna pay collector prices. Still, unopened shouldn't be more than a few hundred.

Unless you're 8 years old, then it's probably more like $300? MIGHT AS WELL COST A MILLION!

I bought one on eBay for 30 bucks with a great condition sticker and everything, and that was in 2016 or so. I seriously doubt the price has jumped since then.

I'm actually surprised there's more decent prices for a cartridge out there, back when I was trying to buy a cartridge all I managed to run into were retarded collectors and Nintendo fanboys. Then again, perhaps my problem was also the fact that I was looking for a cartridge in decent condition, and not a piece of junk (I've seen plenty of those too), and also not on eBay as shipping costs tend to get pretty high depending on the region.

Either way, I'm just glad it's finally getting a proper re-release, an easy way to get the game for a decent price. Let's just say I am allergic to buying second-hand goods, especially video games, just to put it nicely. If I can't get the game new because it's no longer commercially available or whatever I'm just going to pirate it. Sorry not sorry, resellers ain't getting my money. Ever.

Edited by seed

Ya there might be a price bubble being generated in retro game prices due to comic book and baseball card collectors coming in. They are looking at retro games like an investment and set up "professional grading" services to boost game prices. Luckily though they are focusing on NES games and pretty much don't understand other consoles yet.

As others have said, there are good deals on Doom 64 to be found if you look in enough places. I happen to get a boxed version for $20 at a local store. To be fair the box has some damage to it and the local shop undervalued it for sure. I wonder what will happen to the price after the re-release? Will cartridges go down in price since its more accessible or new fans might want to get the physical copy and up the price slightly? Probably will just keep the same price haha.

Edited by Immorpher

I think prices will most definitely plummet after the re-release. It only ever managed to get so high because it simply wasn't available anymore, thus turning into a collectible item.

Now that's it's seeing a remaster on so many platforms, they kinda have to drop if they expect anyone to ever purchase them since they'll be able to get it on most platforms for a very good price (I expect it to be priced around 10$ or so on PC, if other NDS releases such as Fresh Supply are to go by). Only dieharders will be willing to invest so much money for nothing.

Btw, thanks for the heads up regarding NES games @Immorpher.

It may also be, that the prices for the original Doom64 complete in box go through the ceiling, because an increased interest in owning the original as an collectors item.

You can buy Doom for the PC at $5 or less, but try to get a complete boxed version at ebay, especially if you look for the small boxed 3,5" non-ultimate version, you have to pay a good amount of money.

Oh yes, those rare items will maintain their price for sure, as seen with other titles.

A regular cartridge however? I doubt it (but hey, I've been wrong before, many times too).

I'd be pretty dubious about anything "factory sealed" anyway. If they had an opened, but in excellent condition boxed version, shrink wrap it and call it "factory sealed". Add on $50 to $100.

I bought a copy of Jaguar 64 Doom from amazon that was labelled as new. I was a bit sceptical, but it came shrink wrapped and even had the display hanger attached to it. The box and overlay were mint.

Cost me 25 quid, so I was actually happy regardless as that was a good price when compared to second hand stuff on ebay. 

On 12/4/2019 at 8:15 AM, seed said:

I think prices will most definitely plummet after the re-release. It only ever managed to get so high because it simply wasn't available anymore, thus turning into a collectible item.

Now that's it's seeing a remaster on so many platforms, they kinda have to drop if they expect anyone to ever purchase them since they'll be able to get it on most platforms for a very good price (I expect it to be priced around 10$ or so on PC, if other NDS releases such as Fresh Supply are to go by). Only dieharders will be willing to invest so much money for nothing.

Btw, thanks for the heads up regarding NES games @Immorpher.

I doubt it. Digital re-releases of games don't always have that big of an impact on used copies, neither does emulation nor piracy- the "real hardware" crowd insist on only playing the original and not a copy.

D64 has been remade for PC... um, 3 or 4 times faithfully? I've lost track, but at least 3. Plus the "D64 in Doom 2" project, the Brutal projects, etc. It's been freely available to anyone for a long time without the limitations of needing an N64, its limited controller, etc. That's not dropped cart values to a penny. It hasn't for any console game, and NES/SNES/Genesis emulation has been going strong since the 90s. Understand it's less for the "owning a physical copy with no DRM or other restrictions" aspect(honestly, these days, I don't think most gamers even value their consumer rights or they'd never have allowed DRM, digital sales, etc to bite them), more the  aspect of showing off. The stereotype of the gamer who live sin a house big enough for a family of 6, packed to the brim with carts, hardware and merch is one I see in practice often. It's about the collecting and showing off to a lot of them. It's not even an anti-piracy thing as they tend to scoff the official digital re-releases too.

If you're one of those who buys these carts to play them because you value physical copy ownership, then you're a step above the hoarder collector that probably only wants them to fill a hole in the collection- hell, does anyone buy Barbie for NES or Action 52 because they like those games? Maybe, but not many.

6 hours ago, diosoth said:

D64 has been remade for PC... um, 3 or 4 times faithfully?

If your qualifier is faithfully, barely once. And certainly not freely available. 

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

If your qualifier is faithfully, barely once. And certainly not freely available. 

Eh, twice I'd say, GEC GZDoom is technically a port of the game as well.

Everything else yes, it's just recreations, and D64 for D2 doesn't even qualify, it's completely different from the original.

8 hours ago, diosoth said:

It's been freely available to anyone for a long time without the limitations of needing an N64, its limited controller, etc

No, not really. It can be argued it was more-or-less "abandonware", but D64 going free was never explicitly stated by neither Zenimax nor id. They just took a middle ground approach to the matter - didn't endorse piracy or say it's freeware, but didn't give a C&D to the devs of BD64, Retribution, or Absolution either. And they definitely could have if they really wanted.

D64 EX, the port, was free, as all the other ports - but you still needed to provide a ROM by yourself as it didn't come with the game files. How you chose to obtain one was your business, though.

That's not dropped cart values to a penny. It hasn't for any console game, and NES/SNES/Genesis emulation has been going strong since the 90s.

Perhaps so.

But now, for the average gamer/Doomer there's definitely far, far less incentive to buy a cartridge from a collector or whatever. Only die-harders will go that route now.

the hoarder collector that probably only wants them to fill a hole in the collection

Or make some easy money off of an idiot's ass in my experience :p .

On 12/13/2019 at 7:07 AM, seed said:

D64 EX, the port, was free, as all the other ports - but you still needed to provide a ROM by yourself as it didn't come with the game files. How you chose to obtain one was your business, though.

Let’s just be honest and forthright here - literally everyone was downloading the ROM illegally from the internet. Anyone serious about dumping ROMs knows it’s a somewhat difficult science to perfect and potentially harmful to your hardware if you don’t know what you’re doing. Next to no one was going through the hell of even finding, then buying a Doctor V64 for hundreds of dollars, then learning how to properly dump, just to play Doom64.

The only issue I see with diosoth’s post is the “freely available” wording, more like “easily available to anyone willing to download a rom”. Which again, every single solitary player of Doom64 EX very clearly was. What I’m getting at is, I’m pretty sure diosoth is right that it probably won’t have any impact on the cost of physical copies at all.

All of this is a big part of why I’m really happy to finally see an official, legal way to get my Doom64 fix. I hate travelling to the darker corners of the web to obtain games.. but in some cases, it was the only realistic option. So glad that’s not the case for D64 anymore!

I just hope it's not too expensive on the Switch release. Seeing the rather high prices on the eShop is a bit discouraging.

I got mine at a Mom and Pop game trading store back in 2004 for 5 bucks lol

18 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Let’s just be honest and forthright here - literally everyone was downloading the ROM illegally from the internet. Anyone serious about dumping ROMs knows it’s a somewhat difficult science to perfect and potentially harmful to your hardware if you don’t know what you’re doing. Next to no one was going through the hell of even finding, then buying a Doctor V64 for hundreds of dollars, then learning how to properly dump, just to play Doom64.

The only issue I see with diosoth’s post is the “freely available” wording, more like “easily available to anyone willing to download a rom”. Which again, every single solitary player of Doom64 EX very clearly was. What I’m getting at is, I’m pretty sure diosoth is right that it probably won’t have any impact on the cost of physical copies at all.

All of this is a big part of why I’m really happy to finally see an official, legal way to get my Doom64 fix. I hate travelling to the darker corners of the web to obtain games.. but in some cases, it was the only realistic option. So glad that’s not the case for D64 anymore!

Agreed, after all I did the same thing :p, and I'm glad the game is seeing a proper commercial re-release, which will no doubt be THE definitive edition of Doom 64, so I'll gladly give NDS my money 👌.

As about the price of physical copies, I think that will depend on their condition and whether they come with other niceties or not, those yeah, will definitely see no change in price, but simple, used cartridges? I'm inclined to say yes, but anyway, I have no interest in buying cartridges so it won't affect me at all, or most people, for that matter.

The way I see things, why collect physical copies of games other than for the $$$? Just takes up more room and eventually becomes dust-ridden junk in some attic or closet somewheres. If ya don't have an old game, just get it online! Of course, because this statement is required, if you cannot get it, then yes, get a physical copy. But don't do it just to look at it all day like paint drying. Then it becomes hoarding.