Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mechaghostman2

Doom on Switch, official and otherwise

How hard is it to softmod a switch? i have an older model and am really considering doing it, i dont play nintendo switch online and the only thing im worried about is access to the Eshop, it would be really cool to be playing doom 64 and brutal doom on my switch

1 hour ago, Jackrider53 said:

How hard is it to softmod a switch? i have an older model and am really considering doing it, i dont play nintendo switch online and the only thing im worried about is access to the Eshop, it would be really cool to be playing doom 64 and brutal doom on my switch

You have to have certain models of the Switch.

There's a website you can enter part of your Switch's serial number to in order to determine if it's a hackable Switch. If you have a launch model of the Switch, you're in pretty good shape, but if you bought it in the last year or two, Nintendo introduced some mitigations that make the exploits either more difficult, or if really recent, impossible.

You would also guaranteed lose access to the eShop. Nintendo does so much telemetry on the Switch that if they catch wind of anything even remotely modified, they will ban your account with great speed. There's some DNS servers you can set for the Switch to access that will prevent that telemetry from being sent, but it effectively also means you can't access the eShop, as it blocks ALL communication with ALL of Nintendo's servers.

Assuming none of that scared you off and that you have a Switch that can be jailbroken, it basically boils down to if you like the free community solution but will require a bit of work from you in the form of needing a way to trigger the exploit (Atmosphere), or if you just want a ready-made solution that costs some money and is more shady in the community's eyes, but will have everything you need to get up and running fast (SXOS).

Welp my console is not patched, so thats good news! i guess i could just hack this switch and buy me a switch lite or something down the line i was gonna get a lite anyway, what else do i need?

Jeeze...hacking a console that is still current and in production? I mean, i do totally get it as i used to be into the whole "modding scene" (iso zone anyone?). I still burn games for my Dreamcast and PS2 once in a while but not very much anymore tbh. But if it was my only console, and it was current, nah i personally wouldn't do it. But why wouldn't you want to use it online anyways? I mean, most of these new consoles NEED to be online which is the main problem tbh.

For me, it's kind of fun to be limited in a way and have only a few games at my disposal. It reminds me of being a kid and getting a new game and playing the shit out of it lol. When i have too many choices i can't ever decide what to play (damn you Steam!).

TBH as much as i really would love to own a Nintendo Switch as it would be the first brand new Nintendo console i've owned since the N64 (i got my GBC used around 1999/2000 and my GC used around 2010) i really can't stand consoles anymore as 5 yrs later they are just obsolete.

Also if i were to buy a Switch i would have to buy extra stuff for it right away, even if some of it isn't really that much money to the average working person. A Micro SD card or w/e as that stock 32GB isn't going to store anything (my 360 HDD is bigger than that), $20 for the online service, a pro controller (although i wouldn't need that right away) and a game. So that's more money than i'm willing to spend tbh, especially on my limited budget. Oh i would probably get an extra warranty too as i've had issues with consoles in the past (PS3 i'm looking at you).

Also finding parts or controllers ect. later on down the line when the console goes out of production is sometimes a pain as most used ones are just beat up and NOS ones are, well obviously expensive. I think i'll stick with computers for now, as well as my older consoles until those break i guess.

1 hour ago, Jackrider53 said:

Welp my console is not patched, so thats good news! i guess i could just hack this switch and buy me a switch lite or something down the line i was gonna get a lite anyway, what else do i need?

You'll need the R4S Dongle, which you can pick up on Amazon for about $20. There's others ways too, like a USB to USBC cable, and jamming a paperclip in the part of the Switch that the right controller goes into, but that's not recommended. Just use the RCM Jig that comes with the R4S Dongle. lol

Why did you include emulated SNES Doom and emulated GBA Doom? Why didn't you include kgdoom, Chocolate Doom NX, Retroarch PrBoom, or Ch0wW's Switch port of Odamex?

7 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Jeeze...hacking a console that is still current and in production? I mean, i do totally get it as i used to be into the whole "modding scene" (iso zone anyone?). I still burn games for my Dreamcast and PS2 once in a while but not very much anymore tbh. But if it was my only console, and it was current, nah i personally wouldn't do it. 

DS, 3DS, PS3, PS4, PSP, PS Vita, Wii, and Wii U were all jailbroken during their lifetimes. If you also include physical console mods, stuff like the Playstation, Genesis/Mega Drive, and even the NES all had physical mods of some sort.

It being during the console's life cycle really is nothing new.

13 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

DS, 3DS, PS3, PS4, PSP, PS Vita, Wii, and Wii U were all jailbroken during their lifetimes. If you also include physical console mods, stuff like the Playstation, Genesis/Mega Drive, and even the NES all had physical mods of some sort.

It being during the console's life cycle really is nothing new.

No, i understand and know that as well, but thanks for telling me just incase i didn't ;) I was just trying to say that if it was my only console that i personally wouldn't mod it as it sort of restricts its uses (can't use it online ect.) although it does open it up to more uses as well in a way so i guess it's kind of 50/50. That's just me and how i am now though. I also have nothing against it being done during a consoles lifetime, i was just stating that i wouldn't do it to mine is all (or i trying to state that at least).

I suppose most hackers, the ones who actually crack open stuff and find new exploits, might have multiple consoles (or just don't care about warranties as they are used to taking things apart/fixing things) but i tend to care about warranties and whatnot nowadays when i purchase a brand new item. 9-10 years ago i used to like modding and not really give a shit as i would just fix it myself if it broke. Nowadays i'm just too sick (and lazy i guess) to do it so i'd rely on a warranty or something to that extent.

I mainly emulate stuff on PC and i rarely go anywhere these days so hacking a Switch for emulation just isn't for me but i can totally see the potential for it (don't know if that's the right choice of words). I did it to my old PSP back in the day lol.

9 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

No, i understand and know that as well, but thanks for telling me just incase i didn't ;) I was just trying to say that if it was my only console that i personally wouldn't mod it as it sort of restricts its uses (can't use it online ect.) although it does open it up to more uses as well in a way so i guess it's kind of 50/50. That's just me and how i am now though. I also have nothing against it being done during a consoles lifetime, i was just stating that i wouldn't do it to mine is all (or i trying to state that at least).

I suppose most hackers, the ones who actually crack open stuff and find new exploits, might have multiple consoles (or just don't care about warranties as they are used to taking things apart/fixing things) but i tend to care about warranties and whatnot nowadays when i purchase a brand new item. 9-10 years ago i used to like modding and not really give a shit as i would just fix it myself if it broke. Nowadays i'm just too sick (and lazy i guess) to do it so i'd rely on a warranty or something to that extent.

I mainly emulate stuff on PC and i rarely go anywhere these days so hacking a Switch for emulation just isn't for me but i can totally see the potential for it (don't know if that's the right choice of words). I did it to my old PSP back in the day lol.

That is one of the main draws of it. Of course, so is being able to dump your savegames onto an SD card. You know, the thing Nintendo charges you $20 a year to do and will gladly wipe your saves once you stop ponying up money.

There is also, of course, the extensive game modding/translating scene. There's already a mod for Super Mario Odyssey that's trying to recreate Super Mario 64 within it, for example. Hit up YouTube, you'll find some videos.

Me, I'm hoping the Switch becomes the first system powerful enough to be portable but also emulate PS2. I know it can do everything up to Dreamcast just fine, but there are some classics on PS2 I'd love to revisit, and it's a bit more disappointing that I still have to stick to a PC to do those.

Anyway, I think in time the community will figure out how to foil Nintendo's telemetry to an extent, and even if they don't, online play isn't really what I bought my Switch for so I don't lose too much personally.

On 10/5/2019 at 11:05 AM, Dark Pulse said:

That is one of the main draws of it. Of course, so is being able to dump your savegames onto an SD card. You know, the thing Nintendo charges you $20 a year to do and will gladly wipe your saves once you stop ponying up money.

There is also, of course, the extensive game modding/translating scene. There's already a mod for Super Mario Odyssey that's trying to recreate Super Mario 64 within it, for example. Hit up YouTube, you'll find some videos.

Me, I'm hoping the Switch becomes the first system powerful enough to be portable but also emulate PS2. I know it can do everything up to Dreamcast just fine, but there are some classics on PS2 I'd love to revisit, and it's a bit more disappointing that I still have to stick to a PC to do those.

Anyway, I think in time the community will figure out how to foil Nintendo's telemetry to an extent, and even if they don't, online play isn't really what I bought my Switch for so I don't lose too much personally.

Even using Android emulators on the Switch, it doesn't do PS2 stuff very well. Ofc, I haven't tried the Damon PS2 Pro version yet, but the freeware version seemed to crash every 5 seconds. All other emulators for PS2 didn't really work too well. Ofc, I was only trying it with the San Andreas rom, but if it can't run that I doubt it can run any of the others. 

It can emulate SOME Gamecube games though with the right version of Dolphin running on it.