What wads do you prefer?

84 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Vanilla (on doom.exe, Chocolate Doom)
    • Vanilla (on advanced ports)
    • Limit-removing
    • Boom-compatible
    • G/ZDoom

Mostly Vanilla/Limit-Removing, and Boom, because I like the gameplay and feel of the original game more than what some ZDoom stuff has to offer, though there's some neat stuff out there too.

Likewise, I also prefer mapsets over gameplay mods.

If I would chose the first 4 options I would. I prefer Vanilla, Limit Removing and Boom/MBF.

Anything except G/ZDoom stuff.

Eternity Engine, 320x200-640x480 (depends on maps and mood), capped framerate, mouse + WASD. I never use freelook, jump, crouch, cheats, gameplay mods.

They're all good wads, Brent

I prefer limit breaking maps because those are usually either huge or very detailed. and I usually use GZDoom in software mode. That being said, I think it's important to play the map as the author intended. I really like the gameplay elements that jumping and crouching can add to level design, but if the author locks those out I won't be sore about it.

At the end of the day though I'm not too specific, in my mind the only truly bad wads are like, terrywads or whatever.

I use GZDoom to play mostly the vanilla stuff. Modern resolution and interface but no vertical aiming, jumping, or crouching. Generally I play with a game pad using classic shoulder button strafing because I mostly play on my laptop.

Ultimate Doom

Doom II + Master Levels + No Rest for the Living

Final Doom

The 8 PS1 Doom levels in a wad

the Xbox Doom wads separately

Sigil + the other Romero levels

And I still play Doom 64 on a real console and a CRT.

GZDooM is my preferred engine of choice so any wads that work with GZDooM are wads I'll play. Vanilla, limit removing or those crazy ones like Brutal DooM or Blade Of Agony that add a lot of stuff.

Vanila and limit removing. Things that are generally faithful to Doom's original design. Nothing too excessive or with advanced features.

I like them all, but there's something magical about the original engine imo

Edited by Noiser

More traditional looking/feeling limit removing/boom maps with/without just right amount of Z/GZDoom features.

So a nice balance of old and new is just right.

(Although I use GZdoom to run everything anyways.)

I prefer vanilla wads with PrBoom+. It's cool to see what people can do with such limitations these days. I like any kind of good mapset though. Used to love gameplay mods, but I don't really mess with them anymore.

Im not at all against GZDoom maps (Ive made them myself), but it seems like most of the best wads are Boom-compatible. Oftentimes limitations are actually beneficial for creativity. 

What kind of question is that? I did expect to see various gameplay changing wads, different game wads like doom or HeXen, or wads with total conversion, or simple wads that change sprites of various things; rather than, what it seems, to be mere mappacks. Should have put that in the title, as the question doesn't make sense, simple because it's not full.

I don't exactly understand what is "limit-removing" wads are, since are most limits are determined by the engine itself than, literally, Where's All the Data. For example, no matter what, the map size is determined by 65536x65536 like in the case of GZDoom, which is mere 2^16.

As for mappacks, I don't care for them that much, althought I'd rather GZDoom ones like KDIZD that actually bring anything new and allow the mappers to be creative, but at the same time anything is better than cancerous prboom, I'd rather pick dosbox or chock doom any day.

^I translated this into actual plain English that the average person can comprehend:

"You should have added two more options, one for oldschool/vanilla gameplay mods and one for advanced gameplay mods"

..At least, that's what I think he's trying to say. The question makes perfect sense btw, but the addition of these two options would be awesome, though technically the first and last options cover those bases, but yeah the question does seem geared specifically towards map packs. There are a large portion of people who care more about gameplay mods than new maps. Sounds crazy I know.

Anyway, I picked the first option (much easier to do since I came out as a wadist oldschoolexual a few years ago, I still remember how warm rdwpa and 40oz were in that thread ❤️) God damn I love playing stuff in DosBox or Choco.

3 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

The question makes perfect sense btw, but the addition of these two options would be awesome, though technically the first and last options cover those bases, but yeah the question does seem geared specifically towards map packs.

It doesn't make any sense because it doesn't follow the basic set of rules of the logic. The question asks, quote: 

What wads do you prefer?

The question doesn't specific what KIND of wads does that mean. Again, wad, literally translates as to Where's All the Data. That's all wad there is, there is no more type of wad than this. We may never know what exactly he meant by this question, as the question is not completed. We can only speculate what the person did meant, and the moment anyone asks "what X do you prefer?" while mentioning vanila with a bit of chocolate doom, I instantly think of the method of cooking, be that fried wads or wads with a bit of sauce. I guess I like the wads that have lemon flavor with a bit of sourness. Vanila is not my thing, it makes you fat and is overall unhealthy. I guess I'm healthy lifestyle biased then.

Then he lists 5 categories that not only do not make any sense, but contradict each other. What exactly each of "vanila" mean, and why there are two? What the hell is "limit-removing" suppose to mean? Why "x-compatible" even doing here, aren't the one wad that is supported by the doom.exe can be basically be supported on ANY of the doom ports ever created (the ones that are functional at least)? So the only logical conclusion of this illogical conundrum I can think of is that the OP was talking about mere mappacks, rather than wads in general. Yeah mappacks aren't something special, so I was hoping the question was rather about the different file formats like .pk3, pk7, .zip .wad, etc etc; or what kind of contents of wads you prefer - like gameplay mods, total conversion mods, sprite containing wads, sprite replacing wads, music adding wads, monster adding\replacing wads, weapon adding\replacing wads... the hell, there are billions upon trillions of variants of all possible wads you can think of than just boring wads with nothing more but a mappack in it.

What I ask is that the OP should replace the "wads" with mappacks, if that's all he's asking. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's because the question is, again, doesn't make any sense. Did he meant the wads of all sorts, including gameplay changing\adding, that could be supported by either of these things he mentions? Then why there are two vanilas? Again, what is "limit-removing" suppose to mean? Or he's asking which of the vanila wads I prefer, like HeXen over Strife, or what? If I wasn't correct about mappack, then I'm genuinely confused.

I mean I guess he should have said "What type of wads do you prefer", but it's blatantly obvious from context he's not asking for specific wads, though nothing is stopping you just specifying what wads you like.

All of the terms in the poll have accepted usages within the community. Google (and doomwiki.org) are your friends...

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_engine#Vanilla_Doom

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Source_ports

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Limit_removing

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Boom_compatible

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/GZDoom

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I mean I guess he should have said "What type of wads do you prefer", but it's blatantly obvious from context he's not asking for specific wads, though nothing is stopping you just specifying what wads you like.

All of the terms in the poll have accepted usages within the community. Google (and doomwiki.org) are your friends...

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_engine#Vanilla_Doom

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Source_ports

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Limit_removing

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Category:Boom_compatible

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/GZDoom

"What type of wads do you prefer" isn't exactly a full question either, in this context at least, since there is only one type of wads and that is .wad. Then, the list he provides of 5 categories doesn't explain anything. What exactly these suppose to mean? By the links you provide, you seem to imply, these are mere doom (engine based games) ports. It's blatantly not obvious who obey the rules of logic, rather than some limited strict community definitions and their language mechanics. These doomworld's community mechanics won't apply, nor work to the every user that entering this forum.

Besides, you do realize that by "limit removing" you can mean pretty much anything? Despite the wiki claim it to be a mere method of removing specific limits of given doom.exe by using even more spicy doom port that doesn't add anything else, it is absolutely logical to think of any sort of limit removal, like expanding same limit of 2^16x2^16 gzdoom's map size limit. A .wad that removes limits are physically impossible, so I don't exactly understand what he meant by putting "limit removing" category for the question "what wads you do prefer".

So we back to the old conclusion, by the "wads", all the OP really meant was mere mappacks, right? A mappack is a mappack, it's not a wad but a mere content in the wad itself. If so, the question should be comprehensively and logically formed in order to make sense, so it should be written like "What type of mappacks in wads do you prefer?". But now, you're telling me now he's not asking about "specific wads", so that means it any be sort of wads that are either gameplay changing wads, tc wads, sprite\music\monster\weapon addon\replacement wads and mere mappacks, etc. The list then, is quite short and limited. What kind of gameplay wads, though, would fit in to category of "limit removing"? The ones that have jumping with portals, and gameplay evolving using Grappling hook with freelook? Lack of freelook is definitelly an limit, so a gameplay that involves freelook can be considered as limit-removal? According to the wikipedia you provide, it only talks about specific map aspects and only, so it contradicts with the fact that you said "he's not asking for specific wads".

But let's assume by wads he doesn't mean mere only mappacks containing wads. Now if to answer thee OP's question, I like boomdoom.wad, quite a blast from the past. Aeod501.wad is also possibly one of my favourite of wall wads. Unfortunately these two aren't on the list, so I have no idea how to vote for any of these. HeXen.wad is also one fine .wad in my opinion, should I vote for vanila then? But what about aeod501.wad, it's quite old I think it can work even on vavoom, but for some reason it can't run on GZDoom anymore once they changed their code since like, idk, maybe 2.2.0 version or something. In this case, what should I vote for?

I'm going to have to go with Boom. It has a ton of useful features but still feels like Doom to me. GZDoom is a bit too crazy with the slopes and 3d floors. The lack of slopes and rooms above rooms is quintessentially Doom and it contributes to the visual style and types of layouts the mapper may be limited to. While visually impressive, I often find myself wondering why many GZDoom maps could not have be done in Quake, but I suppose there is still a charm to Doom's 2.5d aesthetic even if it is a facade in engines like GZDoom. I also find dummy scripting to be very interesting, and I'm glad its finally been done in vanilla (even if it is in its infancy).

I like playing older wad's as well as some newer ones but i really like vanilla style wads. It's fun to see what people can come up with by just using vanilla restrictions, even if i don't completely understand everything that goes into creating a vanilla wad (or a wad in general lol).

I play on an advanced port though (GZDoom) mainly due to how the mouse feels. I've tried numerous times to get a good mouse "feel" whilst using other source ports by adjusting mouse settings and i just can't get mine to feel right. I'm thinking it's something to do with SDL2 and my Windows 7 install, although i'm not sure (does GZDoom use SDL2 or something completely different?). Maybe i'm just too picky lol.

Anyways, i also don't mind Limit-removing or Boom-compatible wads as those are great fun as well! I rarely play GZDoom wads though but the ones i have tried were fun.

For me its mostly limit-removing or Boom/MBF wads, even though I use GZdoom mostly.

I don't get this super drawn out argument that's going on here about what the OP's poll is supposed to mean. The simple fact of the matter is that this community (like every other community out there) has its very own terms by which content is "categorized". If you don't know what those terms mean, you could have just asked, and be done with it, but I guess that was way too simple.

Whatever... I play mostly Boom/limit removing stuff... It's what I create myself, it's relatively true to the original game's behaviour, that's where my comfort zone is. And then there's ZDaemon rocket jumps maps, which is what I spent the most time on in recent past, be it playing or creating.

1 minute ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

I still have no idea for certain what you mean by the question lol. So you're talking about mappacks?

Yes, I am. For example, Akeldama as a vanilla wad, Sigil as a wad requiring at least limit-removing port, Ancient Aliens as a boom-compatible wad and Valhalla as a ZDoom wad. These wads vary in limitations, details, features, etc.