Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheHighestTree

The Zombie!

Hope you all had a halloween that was at least somewhat scary! (Coughing up blood constitutes being scary) Going in theme, I'd like to bring to the Doomworld analysis...The zombie!

What are peoples' thoughts on this legendary monster?

one of the best monsters ever. however another tops my list. it is a true fairy tale that is not watered down.

the monster takes human form by ware the skin of a human. by day it seems normal but at night it removes the human flesh and takes flight. one way to prevent one from getting into your home is to paint all the window moldings blue. this somehow stops it. the way to kill or hurt it is to put pepper into the skin it must ware. it hates pepper for some reason. it is suppose to be a very nasty creature, however i dont know what it is called. if anyone knows of the creature i am talking about please tell me.

I dont know if it is a story i heard back home, in albania, or in the first few years of living in the US. It was a very long time ago

Ah, the zombie. Originally a product of voodoo practice and ritual, "real" zombies are created by feeding some poor idiot a mixture of drugs that brings them to a near-death state and turns them into a brain-damaged, thoughtless mongoloid capable of only simple tasks and slavish obedience.

How to Make a Zombie. Kids, do not try this at home. :)

What makes you say brain damage is caused? Are you saying zombies remain in that state indefinitely?

leave Leonard Cohen alone. "Tower of song" is an awesome song.

Zombies are a nice touch, but too many of them can get annoying. Zombies have NO place in the hell environbent, however.

Insomniac said:

Zombies have NO place in the hell environbent, however.

How do you mean? Supposing they are ex-UAC or military personnel, they could have been herded of to hell to add to its ranks. Not that an explanation like this, or the lack of one is really important in a game...

I think what he means is that zombies don't seem to fit in the lowest depths of Hell, where only the worst and most powerful demons tend to be found.

Well, then at least he can be happy there's no zombies in E3M8: Dis.

According to the doom story, the zombies in the game are undead versions of earlier sent space marines. According to the booklet that came with the game, the only reason for us to slaughter all those demons is to prevent becoming a zombie ourselves.

Depends on what type a' zombie.
Undead zombie: I prefer the totally braindead type that shambles at you, unable to use any tools whatsoever except its bare hands. Its strenght is immense and it instills you........
.....with an urge to laugh your ass off at this slow moving carcass before you pump it full o' lead >:-]
Seriously though, zombies never really frightened me all that much because of their overall human appearance and slow, sluggish movement, but it's usually a must in everything that involves the forces of evil if you ask me.

humans that are... hmm.. turned into will-less slaves (a la possessed troops in Doom) are by far my favorite of these two types. They still possess most, if not all, of the human abilities, but they have been distorted into something animal-like, barbarian and evil.

IMO, only a retard could get killed by (classic) zombies. The only way they can really get you is by swarming you and knocking you to the ground. If you let them get this far, you are a moron and deserve to die.

Something i was talking about with my friends was Mail-Order Zombies. That's right kiddies: Real live geneticlly mutated people who you could buy to let loose by a cabin to blast and mangle. I think this would be easily the funnest thing ever. You'd call over a few of your friends and order a 50-pack to battle against. Another possibility is to recreate your favorite zombie scenes (E1M1, Night of the Living Dead, Thriller) in a theme park made speccially to fight zombies in. This would be fun because:

1. You could take out your pent-up rage on brainless, rotten humanoids.

2. There's that sense of danger, but you'd be the laughing stock of your social circle if zombies managed to kill you. No one would go to your funeral :P

But unfortunately for us:

1. We don't yet know how to do this in a non-cruel way.

2. 90% of people would think of this as sick

Oh well...maybe someday i'll get to blast zombies from a wheelchair ;)

Gotten from Gothic Gardening:

While there are lots of plants associated with repelling vampires, I've found only *one* mention of vampiric plants. The Islamic gypsies of Bosnia (Kosovo-Metohija region) believe that pumpkins and watermelons, if kept too long in the house, can become "vampires". This vampiric metamorphosis occurs because they are "fighting one another". "Too long" is variously stated as ten days or just after Christmas. The Lesani gypsies think that a dried pumpkin, used as a siphon, will turn vampiric if it stays unopened for three years. These vampire vegetables might show a bit of blood, roll around the house and stables, make a noise described as 'brrr, brrr, brrr', and just generally annoy the living.

To destroy the vampire pumpkins and watermelons, you plunge them into a pot of boiling water. After pouring away the water, scrub the vegetables with a broom and throw them away. Burn the broom.

Makes SPISPOPD make sense, eh?

real zombies: I feel sorry for the poor suckers. never heard of any of them fully recovering. the brain gets damaged too much.

film zombies: one of my fave genres of cinema. the italian ones, such as zombi 2 (the un-official sequel to night of the living dead), and night of the zombies, are great.

one of my favorite movie lines comes from night of the living dead.

"and here is the latest from civil defense headquarters in washington; it has been established that persons who have recently died have been returning to life and commiting acts of murder. widespread investigation of reports from funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has conluded that the un-buried dead are returning to life, seeking human victims. it's hard for us here to believe what we're reporting to you, but it does seem to be a fact."

now you know your screwed if you ever hear that on the tv or radio.

VileSlay said:

"and here is the latest from civil defense headquarters in washington; it has been established that persons who have recently died have been returning to life and commiting acts of murder. widespread investigation of reports from funeral homes, morgues, and hospitals has conluded that the un-buried dead are returning to life, seeking human victims. it's hard for us here to believe what we're reporting to you, but it does seem to be a fact."

now you know your screwed if you ever hear that on the tv or radio.

Nah, just get a good shotgun and blow their head off. Or burn them.

My favourite type of monster.
Brought back from the dead due to some virus, radiation or drugs taken during life. Their decaying bodies and cold moan stuns their pray in fear long enough to grab hold of them and eat their flesh. The victims become zombies and an undead pack grows. They don't feel pain, they'll move as no matter their injury as long as they haven't taken any head trama.

Little Faith said:

Or get your ole trusty chainsaw.

or lawn mower, ala dead/alive. now that movie rocks.

preist sees zombies

"this calls for some devine intervention."

preist goes karate crazy on zombies

"I kick arse for the lord"

Zombies are good for slicing/hacking/sawing/blowing up into several pieces when in large numbers.

'Zombies' do actually exist, in a sense - in fact, both Zombie and Vampire myths may have evolved from the same disease. Read Shaun Hutson's 'Erebus' for a fictional tale based on the real life disease porphyria, or check out a support website here.

Little Faith said:

Makes SPISPOPD make sense, eh?

heh