Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

DOOM guy helmet designed after early 1990's Casio watch?

Anything's possible?  It's a stretch though cause one would think somebody like Romero would have pointed this out a long time ago.

Just now, STILES said:

Anything's possible?  It's a stretch though cause one would think somebody like Romero would have pointed this out a long time ago.

It makes me wonder if it was actually the art guys over at id software who came up with that helmet design, or if it was Don Ivan Punchatz since he had done all the box / poster character design?

8 minutes ago, Job said:

Well, damn. 

That's what I'm saying like you can't even unsee it now 

22 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

It makes me wonder if it was actually the art guys over at id software who came up with that helmet design, or if it was Don Ivan Punchatz since he had done all the box / poster character design?

Was the marine clay model designed before the cover art?  If it was, it's best someone asked Adrian Carmack or Kevin Cloud.  Otherwise we gotta ask Don's son...

7 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

That's what I'm saying like you can't even unsee it now 

Doom is such a product of its time and available technology. You can see it in the game itself, as well as the objects that inspired the design aspects. 

14 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

doomguy is a watch, it's canon now

Is it like a symbolic deeper meaning?

"DOOM has withstood the test of time"??

55 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

doomguy is a watch, it's canon now

I'd like a canon watch. Who needs concealed carry? 

It's sad that Don Ivan Punchatz allready passed away so we can't ask him. Maybe the best we can do is to ask romero himself on twitter and hope for answer but man those similarities striking to eyes

This would be so cool if it turned out to be true but as said earlier I reckon we would have heard about this.

Well spotted though.

I had at least two Casio watches that were similar to that one. Maybe that's why I never found the helmet very cool-looking, though I didn't consciously notice the similarity.

Now we wait for some 50th visor mod but its based on that Casio watch, going as so far to render the internal computer's clock over the middle of the visors viewport. But just so ever faintly. 

Since the shotgun and plasma rifle were photographed using actual toys and the Cacodemon is the Astral Dreadnaught's head, anything is possible. I can also see some similarities to the helmet of the GI Joe toy Cobra Eel(the Doom 64 helmet looks very close to it) so it may be a mish-mash of standard helmet designs

https://www.yojoe.com/action/85/eels.shtml

The 2008 update has a visor, looking closer to Doomguy's helmet

https://www.yojoe.com/action/08/eel4.shtml

Well according to this info that i found on an old forum post dating back to 2008 i'd say that it's entirely plausible:

Casio BM200W-1V
Price: $89.95
Make date: 8/1/1992
Module no.: QW983
battery type: SR927Wx2

(in my true opinion i think it's just a coincidence)

It's simple. Obviously the watch makers had time-travel technology and made the watch based on Doomguy from the future, duh.

Well, *someone* at id software during the early years had a thing for geeky multi-purpose watches.

The entire menu screen for Keen 6 is a giant liquid crystal watch display lol. 

And then you have this...

300px-KeenUpClose.png

maxresdefault (4).jpg

Additionally, even the alpha/beta versions of DOOM had a HUD system that also further resembled more features (both design characteristics and on-screen stats) in a striking resemblance to the watch interface/UI-elements and detail....

doomdelta.png

Doom_alpha_0.2_bruiser.png

Edited by Buckshot