Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mk7_Centipede

confirmation of new quake game in the works?

So, Quake Champions has a Fall Update.  It has a new mode, or is bringing back an old mode, or whatever.  The fun part is that it states "With the all-mother Shub up to no good" which implies the bitch is back.  Quake sequel confirmed?  Or do you think She will make an appearance in QC as part of some future season?

https://quake.bethesda.net/en/news/2OMv5RdI1hGdDtT5cCRdiQ

NEW MODE: CLASSIC FFA

We’ve added a new game mode to Quick Play, a classic take on Free-For-All where Ranger has found himself trapped in a nightmare from when he had first entered the Dreamlands. With the all-mother Shub still up to no good and no Dire Orb at his disposal, Ranger only has his trusty Gauntlet and Machinegun at his side, along with any weapons he can add to his arsenal along his way.

Ranger-only Deathmatch

Spawn with Gauntlet, Machinegun, 125/100 HP, 0/100 AP

No spawn protection

Slower weapon respawn

On death, players drop weapon but do not drop shards

NEW VANITY ITEM: RANGER SHAMBLER SPECTER

These phantom limbs haunt Ranger’s every move, flailing his mind and waiting for him to drop his guard.

It’s interesting they don’t say Shub Niggurath. I’ve always wondered if the name (made up by Lovecraft) was rooted in his frequent use of the n-word (he was not shy with his slurs) and further, I have a feeling whoever controls the Quake IP now probably has similar concerns. Which actually makes me wonder if the constant refusal to return to Quake 1 storyline is related.

I think that’s pretty likely - I hadn’t even made the connection until recently but I could definitely imagine Lovecraft naming this entity after something he thought was... dirty and contemptible. Yuck.

Anyway. This sounds to me like a new death match mode that mirrors the original Quake! Possibly with a new map featuring Shub (who we’re now on first name terms with).

57 minutes ago, insertwackynamehere said:

It’s interesting they don’t say Shub Niggurath.

However, we can likely write this off as a typo considering these are the same guys who think tere's only one slipgate, think Ranger entered the first slipgate with a machine gun, think Ranger never returned to Earth, forgot to check Doom to see what Doomguy looks like, don't know what aspect ratio correction is, and a whole cornucopia of other egregious oversights, but most importantly and tellingly of all, they think Shamblers have fur. What a bunch of maroons!

8 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

honestly I want to see a complete remaster of Quake, like what Black Mesa did for Half-Life

That would be awesome! \o/

The "official" spellings of Cthulhu Mythos things (including the namesake himself) are just approximations anyway. It's one of the lesser things that make them beyond human comprehension. You could easily just say "oh it's more like shub-nyurath and Lovecraft just kind of heard what he wanted to hear"

That’s true from the lore perspective but the reality is Lovecraft wanted made up Semitic-deity sounding names and frequently used the n-word as both a name and in white supremacist writings and it’s harder to imagine he didn’t come to “niggurath” through word play given his track record and the otherwise notable lack of anything else in English sounding close to it. People can’t come up with “random” things as well as they think they can. Regardless, the way things would play out when the bad guys name is that would be “what did you just say?” “no you misunderstand it’s a made up name by this author” and then a short googling later would revel the author’s not great track record bringing the discussion back to square one. It’s a can of worms either way.

I should clarify I’m not for white washing or censoring. It is what it is, Lovecraft both made some extremely influential lore and short stories and also was known to be racist even beyond the baseline of his time. I don’t think there’s anything to do but acknowledge it and move on. I’m just pointing out that I think reviving that character now would just bring up the point I’m making and probably fairly so.

Shub Ngurath is phonetically closer to how you'd pronounce it, anyway.

Machine Games have said in the past they'd be interested in a Quake 1-style sequel. I don't think this tweet is related to that, but maybe after Wolf 3 something will come of it.

Niggurath almost definitely refers to the oh-so-horrible n-word everyone's so afraid of, but the word itself is a Latin adjective which means black. In any case the amount of overthinking in this thread is insane. The text states that Classic FFA is Rangers nightmare about Quake 1 multiplayer in the clearest fashion, and shortening of Shub Niggurath to Shub is just a nostalgia bait.

According to Wikipedia:

Robert M. Price points to a passage from "Idle Days on the Yann", by Lord Dunsany, one of Lovecraft's favorite writers, as the source for the name Shub-Niggurath:

"And I too felt that I would pray. Yet I liked not to pray to a jealous God there where the frail affectionate gods whom the heathen love were being humbly invoked; so I bethought me, instead, of Sheol Nugganoth, whom the men of the jungle have long since deserted, who is now unworshipped and alone; and to him I prayed."

On 10/9/2019 at 3:19 PM, Gifty said:

Machine Games have said in the past they'd be interested in a Quake 1-style sequel. I don't think this tweet is related to that, but maybe after Wolf 3 something will come of it.

Ho boy I hope they don't make Ranger a grumbling mumbling man with a forced sad backstory, though Quake Champions may've already set the stage for that because of a family photo.

On 10/10/2019 at 7:23 AM, Rastrelly said:

Niggurath almost definitely refers to the oh-so-horrible n-word everyone's so afraid of, but the word itself is a Latin adjective which means black. In any case the amount of overthinking in this thread is insane. The text states that Classic FFA is Rangers nightmare about Quake 1 multiplayer in the clearest fashion, and shortening of Shub Niggurath to Shub is just a nostalgia bait.

Also don't forget the word "niggardly", which means stingy.