Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Datacore85

[Freedoom2] Freedom on Earth

Screenshots please? :)

Ok, some minutes.

Ok, that's bold. I assume this would also work with doom2.wad then, right?

It's only for "Freedoom2.wad", some textures don't Work with "Doom2.wad".

I see. Well, Freedoom is for free, so actually anybody can try this. Looking forward to trying it, may be the first user project I have ever seen for this game.

I have taken the liberty of creating a BEX patch (par times are zeroed, feel free to edit them with the actual value in seconds) and of generating the CWILVs with the Freedoom font through its official text generator.

graphics.zip

On 10/7/2019 at 1:10 AM, Datacore85 said:

It's only for "Freedoom2.wad", some textures don't Work with "Doom2.wad".

You mean for Freedoom v0.11.1 and above with Aquatex and TNT textures. FOE doesn't work with normal Freedoom v0.10.1.

However nothing prevents to make a texture patch and run it even with Doom2. I did not think that the creators of Freedoom was start engage such bullshit.)

Edited by Doomenator

Freedoom v0.11.1 and above with Aquatex and TNT textures. FOE doesn't work with normal Freedoom v0.10.1.

I updated the .txt about this.

I have taken the liberty of creating a BEX patch (par times are zeroed, feel free to edit them with the actual value in seconds) and of generating the CWILVs with the Freedoom font through its official text generator.

Thanks a lot Diabolución for "graphics.zip" !

Edited by Datacore85

Just played first 3 maps, so far it's really good

i'll give final thoughts when i'm done playing it

Never played Freedoom before but it's pretty cool and this seemed like a good reason to check that out 

Here is my gameplay video of the first 3 maps but i'm planning to play the whole thing

Nice ! I should maybe replace the soulsphere by a Berserk on Map03 ? i'm unsure.

Edit: i Updated the Pwad, aligned lot of textures and some others things.

Edit2: New Update i Aligned lot of textures, add new Demo2 in the wad  (faster), and add a way for don't restart the game on Map 04 & Map 06 on coop if a player lose in survival mod in some zone.

Edited by Datacore85

Feedback so far, after beating MAP01/02/03 on Extreme Carnage, pistol-starting them.

MAP03 doesn’t contain any sector tagged as secret, so vanilla / Chocolate will report 0% secrets found in the tally screen. If you aren’t going to tag as secret an actual secret, at least, please, tag as secret some impossible to miss sector. For example, the starting area. And the overdrive sphere itself is fine.

The map which does need so badly a berserk pack is MAP04 (played this one partially). And by the way, there are both drawsegs and visplanes overflows in this one.

Music selection should be curated, even borrowing MIDIs from freedoom1.wad or freedm.wad if needed, as long as you credit the project everything should be fair play. For example, I don’t think at all that the default MIDI of MAP05 fits that map.

Edited by Diabolución

And by the way, there are both drawsegs and visplanes overflows in this one.

Where please ? I don't see where are they on chocolate-doom.

Map03: Secret Added.

Map04: Berserk Added in the Dark Zone instead of 3 stimpacks / but i should put it in the second secret area.

Edited by Datacore85

21 minutes ago, Datacore85 said:

MAP04: A berserk in the second secret area maybe ?

Is the one with many deadflares? Fine with me.

As for the overflows... I’m downloading and installing GIMP to convert the PCX screeshots of Chocorenderlimits into PNGs. Stay tuned.

the secret that leads to the start of the level / but i put the berserk in the trap with mancubus and 2 HK.

the map should not be too easy

I think it's ok now. There are less sectors.

The game doesn't bug with chocolate-doom.exe

Edited by Datacore85

MAP08 also lacks at least one secret sector. And a backpack for this one would be cool, it’s really annoying to pick a box of shells when you have 40-49 of them...

Ok secret effect added.

Backpack added to the "start zone".

I Edit the first post.

Thx .

Edited by Datacore85

Good, will test tomorrow today in the morning and report any anomaly / complain / whatever.

MAP04 commits a sin, so to speak, I really dislike: being forced to fight many mid-tiers without the double-barrelled shotgun. As far I remember... one necromancer, one technospider, one combat slug, four dark soldiers, two pain bringers, and, I think, two/three/four trilobites... All these mid-tiers... In short, it would be interesting to give somewhat earlier access to that weapon.

I give a RL and a CG.

And there is a SSG after the Yellow Door. I could maybe give a SSG before the DarkZone but the map will become too easy.

Thx  !

Edit: i Added a ssg it's maybe better now ?

Edited by Datacore85 : Added a SSG before the fight against mid-tiers ennemies..

All good and much less tedious.

Minor nitpick: try to keep clean the automap by marking as hidden the lines of the monster cachés and the sound tunnels.

RC3.

I aligned some textures, changed the Demo3, and put the lines of the monsters caches as hidden.

Edited by Datacore85

MAP05 suffers from the same issue: way too many mid-tiers and you get the double-barreled shotgun when practically the map is over. Also, there are monster caches whose lines are visible in the automap.

Which caches please i don't find lines not hidden, on Doom Builder on the RC3.

I dond't know where i could to place the ssg.

On 10/11/2019 at 4:33 AM, Diabolución said:

MAP03 doesn’t contain any sector tagged as secret, so vanilla / Chocolate will report 0% secrets found in the tally screen. If you aren’t going to tag as secret an actual secret, at least, please, tag as secret some impossible to miss sector. For example, the starting area. And the overdrive sphere itself is fine.

Why? Chocolate Doom reporting 0% secrets is normal behavior, and there's at least one IWAD map I can think of which has no secrets (Doom II MAP14). I don't see why an impossible-to-miss secret is necessary.