Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Datacore85

[Freedoom2] Freedom on Earth

If a given map lacks proper secrets, adding an impossible-to-miss secret is common practice. Examples from the IWADs: E2M9 and MAP07. Also combine.wad does so.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Secret

A secrets percentage of 0% means the player found none of the secrets, but it could also mean that the level has no secrets to find. Some source ports take the other approach and display 100% in the latter case, and others display the ratio of secrets found, as Heretic does, to eliminate ambiguity at the cost of immediately giving away the total number of secrets in the level. Many PWAD authors also design their levels to avoid this problem by marking an unavoidable sector in the level (usually either the starting sector or the sector surrounding the exit) as a secret in a level that would otherwise have no secrets.

Back to the topic, MAP06 suffers from overflows.

https://i.imgur.com/I8vYDdP.png

https://i.imgur.com/yemJOzA.png

https://i.imgur.com/SVO0pJO.png

https://i.imgur.com/p7DNwfQ.png

https://i.imgur.com/XBRZHz8.png

I don't know, maybe some RL Ammo in the Area.

There are already a Berserk, a Mega Armor (secret), an invisibility bonus (secret).

Please what do you think about the difficulty if i place a Mega Armor here ?

Edited by Datacore85

Neither too easy nor too hard, basically. Of course it´s better in the current state, there are too many dark soldiers and hitscanners, so a heavy armour is a must have.

Pretty solid maps in general, took me a little bit of effort to adjust myself to certain sprites in action and these didn't overstay their welcome. Played on UV pistols starts, Crispy Doom 5.6.2, general comments:

- Looking at the automap, the lines connecting rooms with tubes used for sound propagation are two-sided in every map, might want to flag them one-sided.

- Excluding occasional door-camping from blind playthrough, gameplay was okay and got really tasty around map 05 and 06 imo, I dug for example the little crusher room fight, my favourite part of the set. However the fact you can easily escape some can throw your fight through the window, unless it's intended in specific cases. One was a squared room with serpents on a platform and two teleporting chaingunners, switch in the middle, you flip it then leave and the serpents are pointless.

- In map 08, not confirmed because I didn't try, but I think you can cheese the tripods by escaping, and surely can't chase you since the door is short enough. The setup of the two large technospiders doesn't add anything imo, a simple double fight with raising pillars or something would be a ton better. A secret BFG or extra enemies in each tripod fight would improve things, it quickly becomes repetitive after the first two.

- Map 07, I ate a lot of clipped fireballs from slugs, low damage thanks to luck. I'd suggest a blue armor at the start or in a cubby, if only to tank those random fireballs through walls. Then you can camp the technospiders in the ammo curvy rooms, as they are unthreatening and too fat to squeeze inside them.

- Aesthetically all very nicely done, at least from my perspective didn't see anything out of place. 

Thanks for playing !

I will try with a mega armor instead of a little armor on the map07, but I'm afraid it will become too easy.

- Looking at the automap, the lines connecting rooms with tubes used for sound propagation are two-sided in every map, might want to flag them one-sided.

ok i'll see that.

Edit: Mega Armor instead of Little Armor.

Edited by Datacore85

Ok i added a Mega Armor is better now, and just one monster at the map08.

Thx a lot for feedback.

I don't see "one-sided" with DoomBuilder. I just can enable or disable two-sided.

3 hours ago, Datacore85 said:

Ok i added a Mega Armor is better now, and just one monster at the map08.

I might have regretted to suggest blue instead of green, and forgot to edit :x

If you have a test version I'd like to see how that impacts, to be fair I missed the secret orange sphere which would have made the difference, clipped fireballs are usually unexpected and it's not like health was in miserable proportions. If you feel the map now is too easy then you can scrap it, sorry for the inconvenience. 

At start it's a bit more easy.

i just disabled some 4 stimpacks in the map for a good balance.

Or maybe put a green Armor and a Soulsphere instead of Megasphere ? Megasphere zone is not a secret.

I could maybe disable one Medikit.

Edit: It's ok for me.

Edited by Datacore85

Okay, just checked and managed to avoid hits past the slug/blackies setup, I wasn't sure whether the orange sphere was a soul or megasphere equivalent but having that cleared up I'd think of two alternatives: could leave the green armor and change to yellow sphere, or scrap armor and leave mega. Neither are bad imo, the thing with the latter option is that it's useful to know with foreknowledge to rush and open the ammo rooms then hit the switch and ride to the mega, if you don't know that or grind everything slowly and safely on a first playthrough, the mega is overpowered for the spiders half. With GA and soulsphere, I could imagine there's a bit more stability to run around more freely and perhaps tank at least two fireballs, since you'd have to search for the ammo which gets you exposed to them, and the soulsphere is generous but not too much like a mega. I'd personally go for the first option, so it's up to you how you feel it. 

Oh btw, you said you added another monster in map 08? If so I saw the same monster count as before.

-I have edited some maps, On chocolate Doom sometimes when you save and reload a game. The angry monsters calm down and you have to go back to the correct zone and shoot for them to teleport, so I corrected problem. (It does me that on Chocolate-Doom after saving and loaded at certain times). I also made sure that the corridors used to annoy the monsters are much more discreet.

-I added some enemies and area on the map 03

-I replaced megasphere with green armor and soulsphere on map 07

- Aligned textures on the map 05.

If something is wrong in this Wad please let me know because I would very much like to have a clean final version.

Edited by Datacore85

Not trying to necro, just wanted to say I really really enjoyed this level pack. I actually played it w/ doom2.wad, as I had downloaded this WAD earlier, and forgot this was a Freedoom project lol. I didn't encounter any issues at all. :)

4 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

I actually played it w/ doom2.wad, as I had downloaded this WAD earlier, and forgot this was a Freedoom project lol. I didn't encounter any issues at all. :)

Really? What about the missing textures?

2 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Really? What about the missing textures?

I didn't see any missing textures... I might be using an older version of the WAD? I think I downloaded this originally quite a while back. I swear I just dropped this WAD onto GZDOOM, and it worked no problem. I'm using 4.1.2 for the record.

I included the copy of the WAD I have in case you wanted to test it yourself. But I experienced no HOMs, and no missing textures, as far as I could discern.

D2FOE.7z

Edit: Wait, is D2FOE different from FOE_1? Did the author of this map pack make 2 different versions and I've just confused myself? lol

Edited by Arrowhead12 : correction

8 hours ago, Arrowhead12 said:

Edit: Wait, is D2FOE different from FOE_1? Did the author of this map pack make 2 different versions and I've just confused myself? lol

Most likely, someone else did it. D2FOE has a later modified date. And as the name suggests, this is a modification for Doom2.