Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReeseJamPiece

What is 'The Void'?

(Sorry if this post looks a bit off, this is my first post here)

I've recently heard about the void and from what I know it's basically the point of no return.

It looks like a mesh of random textures and enemies swirled into a whirlpool, it's madness.

But what is it? how is it made and why does it exist?

I don't sleep I need answers!

I think hes talking about when you go in a room that has no textures.

Wait thats hall of mirrors. Idk

The void is the pain in your heart you feel sometimes... the pain of knowing that Carmack and Romero will never work on a project together.

1 hour ago, ReeseJamPiece said:

It looks like a mesh of random textures and enemies swirled into a whirlpool, it's madness.

That effect is generally referred to as Hall of mirrors effect, or "HOM" for short. It is caused by the engine leaving alone the pixels from the previous frame when it doesn't have anything new to draw over them. This is basically guaranteed to happen when you go outside the bounds of the game's geometry because you can look in directions where your view will not be eventually blocked by a wall; but you can also find HOMs in normal areas, generally as a result of the mapper having forgotten to put a texture on a wall.

Some ports do always erase the frame buffer between each frame, which makes HOMs impossible to notice in them -- instead you'll just see blackness.

I just wonder what software he used to make that.  I know void was made in like 2003 but I still wanna know

2 hours ago, MaxRideWizardLord said:

oh dang, I totally forgot about this masterpiece.

When the nostalgia kicks in!

A place where walls become accordions and doomguy forms multiple hands and weapons upon firing or moving within this void. 

5 hours ago, Linguica said:

I assume this is in relation to the new video

That's a pretty good video, though I can't help but wonder why there is Donkey Kong Country music in it. :P

VOIDSHI2 is very cool looking, if quite frustrating. 

I also like those levels that through design or by accident, allow you to walk through into the void - off the top of my head, SHOWDOWN and DIOPATRA are two that feature this.  

And if we're gonna feature songs on this thread that feature 'void' in the title, then I guess it's my duty to drop this one:

On 10/6/2019 at 3:52 PM, Linguica said:

I assume this is in relation to the new video

The "void" is any part of a Doom level that is not "inside" the level. Because of the way the Doom engine works, if you are outside the confines of the level it attempts to draw walls it can see from your position and draws strips of floor and ceiling because it doesn't know what else to do. Some source ports also don't erase the frame buffer between frames so if there is nothing at all in a certain direction then it will keep showing the last thing it drew.

Nice. I didn't know this. Also, in this video the guy says "I D clip". I always say "idclip" as in id Software. Does anyone else pronounce it like i do lol?

You're not alone, @CyberDreams. I also say "idclip" in the way where you pronounce "id" as a word rather than as "I D". It's pretty easy to assume you're meant to say "I D" when referring to id software, though, so I'm not surprised that there are people saying "I D clip" rather than "idclip"

Void in the place where you can find lost lost souls. Like when you check statistics and there is 58 monsters in the map but you killed only 57, so you look EVERYWHERE in the map and you still can't find the last one monster, so you use IDDT cheat and you realize there is a lost soul outside of the map... probably got there when Pain Elemental exploded too close to the wall.

Poor lost sould in the void.

9 hours ago, Alper002 said:

You're not alone, @CyberDreams. I also say "idclip" in the way where you pronounce "id" as a word rather than as "I D". It's pretty easy to assume you're meant to say "I D" when referring to id software, though, so I'm not surprised that there are people saying "I D clip" rather than "idclip"

Even though those people are all wrong and should be shot, since in Wolf made it clear: id, as in the id, ego, and superego.

13 hours ago, CyberDreams said:

Nice. I didn't know this. Also, in this video the guy says "I D clip". I always say "idclip" as in id Software. Does anyone else pronounce it like i do lol?

I've always said the codes just as the letters themselves. eye dee kay eff ayy. Wolf3d also, good old MIL