Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jeroa

How can i make a line that lets monsters in but the player can't get out?

Question

how can i make it so that a line lets monsters in but the player cant get out?

5 answers to this question

UDMF format may have a linedef type that can do that. Vanilla and Boom certainly do not have that option. So depending on your format you may not even be able to get the desired effect with a linedef to begin with.

Posted (edited)

You can use monster-only teleportation to give monsters mobility superior to player's. Under vanilla/limit-removing mode, it will always be accompanied by teleportation noise however. But under BOOM format you can opt for the silent monster teleporters, which will improve the illusion (well, you can set the teleporters and destinations really close to the player-blocking line).

Edited by printz

thanks to both of you. i am using doom format because i dont know how to change it on the editor. i was trying to let some lost sould get trough a barred window without the player being able to walk out, but i think i'll just change it  to a tall window instead

43 minutes ago, jeroa said:

thanks to both of you. i am using doom format because i dont know how to change it on the editor. i was trying to let some lost sould get trough a barred window without the player being able to walk out, but i think i'll just change it  to a tall window instead

There are two flags on lines: impassable and block monsters. If a line is flagged "impassable," then the player cannot pass through it (useful for making windows that the player can't jump through). If a lines is flagged "block monsters," then monsters will not cross it (they will come up to it and the either walk away or walk parallel to it) but the player can walk through it.

Could it be as simple as putting a linedef on the player side of your window as impassable? I don't know if impassable also blocks monsters because I never tried it.

Assuming that doesn't work, you can use self-referencing sectors (in vanilla) and sectors tagged with linedef type 242 (in Boom) to accomplish this. You would do this by creating a thin sector in the front of the window that was 25 units high, but that would be invisible. So, the player would appear to walk up to the window, but not be able to get through it, while a lost soul could easily float over the invisible sector and attack the player. I think this would create the illusion that you're searching for.

6 hours ago, jeroa said:

i am using doom format because i dont know how to change it on the editor. ....

Conversion from the original doom map format to ZDoom (Doom in Hexen) format is done with zwadconv.exe.