Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kipo

Brutal Doom 64 with Obaddon

Hello, for me Brutal Doom 64 was awesome, but saddly after finishing the main game there was not much else to do. Playing the maps made for regular doom with brutal doom 64 assets was not much of an option since you'll be missing the new stuff like the nightmare imps, and it would be replaying the same doom maps after all. That is until I found the awesome addon for Oblige, called Obaddon, which makes Oblige generate levels with so much quality and customization, that I figured this would be the perfect way to finally play "new" maps/megawads for brutal doom 64.

So I made this mutator for brutal doom 64, and and addon for oblige/obaddon to be able to generate maps with the new brutal doom 64 monsters and some more. I'm sharing it in case somebody finds it useful.

My brutal doom 64 Mutator Features:
- Adds the new monsters from Project Nightmare (Nightmare Cacodemons, Nightmare Spectres, The Annihilator, all credits to Project Nightmare).
- Adds the new Outcast monsters plus some more (Nightcrawler, Acid Demon, Stalker, Nightmare Elemental, SMG Guy, all credits to the Doom 64 Absolution MP project by SFJake, I just gave them the brutal treatment and fancy effects, oh and the smg guy is my adaptation from the pulse rifle guy from the same project).
- Adds a new custom monster: BruiserN64 from SunMadcat (I just gave it the brutal doom 64 treatment and fancy effects).
- Adds Doom 64 textures, all thanks to the Super Doom 64 mod (from StrikerMan780 who did all the code for texture replacing in his mod).
- Adds "Reload" to the weapons in classical mode (not really like the tactical mode, more like the regular brutal doom, my own implementation).

My mutator is standalone, so you don't need brutal doom 64 files since they are all included.
mutator link: https://sharemods.com/7jzjv19wit9g/bd64gamev2_ObAddon.pk3.html

My Oblige addon (you need this file for the new monsters to appear on the maps - you must enable the addon in oblige and also check the "BD64_2" tab):
- All these monsters can appear on the maps: Zombiemarine, NightmareImp, NightmareCacodemon, NightmareSpectre, Annihilator, Motherdemon, Nightcrawler, AcidDemon, Stalker, NightmareElemental, SMGGuy, Bruiser.
oblige addon link: https://sharemods.com/l6cwdkguf3gi/ObAddon_BD64v2.pk3.html

My advice when playing some brutal doom 64 with oblige is to use the Dark ambient music pack (https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/alternate-dark-ambient-music-pack), to really set the doom 64 mood.

Note: if you don't know what Oblige or Obaddon is, follow this link: https://github.com/caligari87/ObAddon (if you don't want to invest too much time figuring out the Obbadon options, this is my config file: https://sharemods.com/dup1xa0v1ktk/CONFIG.txt.html)

EDIT:

As an example to jump right into the action, here is a 4 level wad generated from oblige with obaddon and my addon:

https://sharemods.com/61ox7563zhff/oblige.zip.html

To play you only need my brutal doom 64 mutator and this wad for the levels.

EDIT2:

Updated mutator link with some updates, and as a bonus, here's another 4 level wad generated:

https://sharemods.com/wwkp5hquavp9/oblige.zip.html

Edited by kipo

I am going to download soon ! if you have any other configs or info about obaddon please share !

Thanks for giving the config I just can never seem to get good looking levels no matter how much I tweak the settings.

8 hours ago, elden4 said:

I am going to download soon ! if you have any other configs or info about obaddon please share !

Sure thing, you can visit or join the unofficial oblige discord, there's always news and progress for obdaddon, and other doom stuff in general.

4 hours ago, Rex705 said:

Thanks for giving the config I just can never seem to get good looking levels no matter how much I tweak the settings.

I Know!, I also had to use someone else's config file and tweak it to my likings from there.

4 hours ago, kipo said:

Sure thing, you can visit or join the unofficial oblige discord, there's always news and progress for obdaddon, and other doom stuff in general.

I Know!, I also had to use someone else's config file and tweak it to my likings from there.

Thanks a lot , I run this page https://www.facebook.com/doomstrip and I'd like to you use obaddon to create a doom megawad , now I started testing to give just one map a month but in the future I 'd like to release a full episode , or just merging more maps created during time. I am in the community on the discord but unfortunatly I don't have much time to follow everything , however my name inside is elden4 too.

That's some cool comic art.

You made me realise I should provide an example of the final product, in case people don't want to set up oblige and obbadon without knowing what to expect.  So here is a 4 level wad generated from oblige with obaddon and my addon:

To play you only need my brutal doom 64 mutator in the first post and this wad for the levels.  Be warned it's not a walk in the park, though.  Enjoy!

4 hours ago, kipo said:

That's some cool comic art.

You made me realise I should provide an example of the final product, in case people don't want to set up oblige and obbadon without knowing what to expect.  So here is a 4 level wad generated from oblige with obaddon and my addon:

To play you only need my brutal doom 64 mutator in the first post and this wad for the levels.  Be warned it's not a walk in the park, though.  Enjoy!

Ok thanks a lot, downloading now and will play asap! can I make some maps and distribuite them with your modificator in some of my future release? it would be great to have different style of play sometime, let me know thanks!

This is great. So much thanks for this. Hard to believe these maps were made with a map generator. 

Brutal doom 64 is pretty much perfect. Much better than BD21 RC10 (gold). Don't know why Sgt. Mark V had the shotgun reloading right in BD64, but skipped proper configuation in BD21.

In BD64 when you pressed reload instantly after shooting, you just automatically reload after the pump animation stops (how it's done in any good shooter btw) In BD21 RC1 you have to wait for the animation and when you messed up the timing you have to press reload another time. RC2 just featured an instant reloading, which aborts any current animations. Not too annoying, but when he had it working in BD64, why not using the code again for later BD releases..

Anyway thanks for sharing!

Thanks man, indeed the leap from regular Oblige to Obaddon is huge, the levels are so much fun and detailed.

About the shotgun reloading, I had to improve it a bit, if I remember right it was one bullet at a time which was slooow (I have it at two bullets at a time like regular BD), and I think you couldn't cancel the reloading animation in BD64.  Same for the SSG, you couldn't reload after you fired just one bullet.  I made some changes to weapons and reloading behaviour in general.

50 minutes ago, kipo said:

I made some changes to weapons and reloading behaviour in general.

Yes you probably tweaked it even more, but I already had this concern with 1 or 2 modders in the past. None of them was able to recreate BD64 style reloading to BD21 unfortunately.

"Oblige to Obaddon is huge, the levels are so much fun and detailed."

I was surprised to see streets with cars in an oblige map. 

btw, wondering why you recommended something other than HQPSXMUS.WAD for the music. One could even make a randomizer music pack with the doom64 tracks. Would fit perfectly. 

I just recommended the Dark ambient music pack because that's the one I found that could suit the doom 64 mood.  HQPSXMUS.WAD is great too (I didn't know about it), thanks for sharing! It's got a great dark mood too .  I think I'll be alternating between the two.

About the doom 64 tracks randomized, I agree this would be the perfect fit, I don't know if such a thing exists though.

Had a super quick look to your demo map , cool ! in case you have other addon for oblige contact me ! the more I have the better I can test or randomize maps ! thanks!

Sure there's also the awesome mutator and addon from Frozsoul for regular Brutal doom, which you can find in Oblige Discord, in the channel "#brutal-doom".

"About the doom 64 tracks randomized, I agree this would be the perfect fit, I don't know if such a thing exists though."

It does. I actually bought the extended anniversary edition of "doom 64" and "psx doom" soundtrack and made these packs myself. If you don't what to buy anything, I think you could just use one of the musicpacks spreading around. (for brutal doom or some other doom64 total conversion) Creating a randomizing music pack is quite easy. There's a tool for this.

20 hours ago, kipo said:

About the doom 64 tracks randomized, I agree this would be the perfect fit, I don't know if such a thing exists though.

You can easily make a mod with any tracks by using demonsteele-nowthatswhaticallmidi randomizer. I have thrown this idea into the masses long ago.

But Doom 64 and PSX Doom tracks already bored. I recommend try listening the following:

Spoiler

Aegri Somnia - Borg Sands
Aegri Somnia - C.A.H.R
Aegri Somnia - DNA Cult
Aegri Somnia - Metamorphosis
Aegri Somnia - Mundus Moriens
Aegri Somnia - Puppets
Aegri Somnia - Sortie I
Aegri Somnia - We Were Stardust
Alphaxone - X-land
Alphaxone - Close
Alphaxone - Awakening
Alphaxone - Mysterious
Alphaxone - Near To Nothing
Alphaxone - Cold Spring
Alphaxone - El Shadows
Alphaxone - Grayland
Alphaxone - Human Frequencies
Alphaxone - Interface
Alphaxone - Melancholy
Alphaxone - Midnight Waves
Alphaxone - Overwhelm
Alphaxone - Witchcraft
Anatomia De Vanitats - Igneus
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Burrows
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - In An Arched World
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Ones Atop The Unknown
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Onyx
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - The Dead Fire
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Aphotic
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Cavern Of Igneous Flame
Atrium Carceri - Disassembling the Creator
Atrium Carceri - Floating Above the City
Atrium Carceri - Heart Of The Metropolis
Atrium Carceri - Hypnosis
Atrium Carceri - Old Tunnels
Atrium Carceri - Ruins of Desolation
Atrium Carceri - Sacred Slab
Atrium Carceri - The Gargantuan Tower
Atrium Carceri & Eldar - The Vault
Cities Last Broadcast - Centennial
Cities Last Broadcast - Electricity
Cities Last Broadcast - The Sitting
Council Of Nine - Bargaining
Council Of Nine - Fallen
Council Of Nine - Fragments Of Myself
Council Of Nine - I Can See The Fear In Your Eyes
Council Of Nine - I No Longer Hear You
Council Of Nine - Memories Are Fading Away
Council Of Nine - Nasu
Council Of Nine - Riddled With Guilt
Council Of Nine - Silent Dawn
Council Of Nine - The Ossuary
Council Of Nine - Void Of Regret
Creation VI - Deus Otiosus
Cryobiosis - Into Nothingness
Cryobiosis - Corroded
Dode Mellomrom - Frykt For Morket - (Боязнь Темноты)
Dronny Darko - Rotten Orchestra
Dronny Darko - Scriptures
Flowers For Bodysnatchers - Memory (Night To Void)
Halgrath - Down, Here
Horchata - Noctural
Kolhoosi 13 - Glow From the Depths
Kolhoosi 13 - The Monument of Power
Metatron Omega - Hierosgamos
Metatron Omega - Hypostasis
Metatron Omega - Sanctum
Neizvestija - Muslyumovo
Neizvestija - Ozersk
Northumbria - Maelstrom
protoU - The Map
ProtoU & Hilyard - Alpine Respire
ProtoU & Hilyard - Elwha Snowfinger
Randal Collier-Ford - Decaying Sun
Randal Collier-Ford - Monument
Sabled Sun - Conceived
Sabled Sun - Home
Sabled Sun - Inner Workings
Sabled Sun - Uplink
SiJ - Instantaneous
Sjellos - Awakening
Sjellos - Excavation
Sjellos - Life Left
Sjellos - Past Recognition
Sjellos - Struggling
Ugasanie - Abandoned Base
Ugasanie - Call of the North
Ugasanie - Cold Wasteland
Ugasanie - Endless Winter
Ugasanie - Freezing
Ugasanie - In Cold Arctic Winds
Ugasanie - Initiation
Ugasanie - Last Night
Ugasanie - Lonely Winter Hut
Ugasanie - My Mother-Beast
Ugasanie - North Breath
Ugasanie - Obfuscation
Ugasanie - On the Branches of the Sacred Larch
Ugasanie - Over the Tundra
Ugasanie - Pulsation
Ugasanie - Swamps Of Tunguska
Ugasanie - The Bodies Under The Snow
Ugasanie - The Taiga
Ugasanie - Ugasanie - White Silence - 04 Permafrost
Ugasanie - White Death
Ugasanie - Without the Sun
Uden - I
Xerxes The Dark - Omniscient

10 hours ago, kipo said:

Sure there's also the awesome mutator and addon from Frozsoul for regular Brutal doom, which you can find in Oblige Discord, in the channel "#brutal-doom".

thanks , we'll look asap!

15 hours ago, Doomenator said:

You can easily make a mod with any tracks by using demonsteele-nowthatswhaticallmidi randomizer. I have thrown this idea into the masses long ago.

Reveal hidden contents

Aegri Somnia - Borg Sands
Aegri Somnia - C.A.H.R
Aegri Somnia - DNA Cult
Aegri Somnia - Metamorphosis
Aegri Somnia - Mundus Moriens
Aegri Somnia - Puppets
Aegri Somnia - Sortie I
Aegri Somnia - We Were Stardust
Alphaxone - X-land
Alphaxone - Close
Alphaxone - Awakening
Alphaxone - Mysterious
Alphaxone - Near To Nothing
Alphaxone - Cold Spring
Alphaxone - El Shadows
Alphaxone - Grayland
Alphaxone - Human Frequencies
Alphaxone - Interface
Alphaxone - Melancholy
Alphaxone - Midnight Waves
Alphaxone - Overwhelm
Alphaxone - Witchcraft
Anatomia De Vanitats - Igneus
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Burrows
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - In An Arched World
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Ones Atop The Unknown
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Onyx
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - The Dead Fire
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Aphotic
Apocryphos, Kammarheit, Atrium Carceri - Cavern Of Igneous Flame
Atrium Carceri - Disassembling the Creator
Atrium Carceri - Floating Above the City
Atrium Carceri - Heart Of The Metropolis
Atrium Carceri - Hypnosis
Atrium Carceri - Old Tunnels
Atrium Carceri - Ruins of Desolation
Atrium Carceri - Sacred Slab
Atrium Carceri - The Gargantuan Tower
Atrium Carceri & Eldar - The Vault
Cities Last Broadcast - Centennial
Cities Last Broadcast - Electricity
Cities Last Broadcast - The Sitting
Council Of Nine - Bargaining
Council Of Nine - Fallen
Council Of Nine - Fragments Of Myself
Council Of Nine - I Can See The Fear In Your Eyes
Council Of Nine - I No Longer Hear You
Council Of Nine - Memories Are Fading Away
Council Of Nine - Nasu
Council Of Nine - Riddled With Guilt
Council Of Nine - Silent Dawn
Council Of Nine - The Ossuary
Council Of Nine - Void Of Regret
Creation VI - Deus Otiosus
Cryobiosis - Into Nothingness
Cryobiosis - Corroded
Dode Mellomrom - Frykt For Morket - (Боязнь Темноты)
Dronny Darko - Rotten Orchestra
Dronny Darko - Scriptures
Flowers For Bodysnatchers - Memory (Night To Void)
Halgrath - Down, Here
Horchata - Noctural
Kolhoosi 13 - Glow From the Depths
Kolhoosi 13 - The Monument of Power
Metatron Omega - Hierosgamos
Metatron Omega - Hypostasis
Metatron Omega - Sanctum
Neizvestija - Muslyumovo
Neizvestija - Ozersk
Northumbria - Maelstrom
protoU - The Map
ProtoU & Hilyard - Alpine Respire
ProtoU & Hilyard - Elwha Snowfinger
Randal Collier-Ford - Decaying Sun
Randal Collier-Ford - Monument
Sabled Sun - Conceived
Sabled Sun - Home
Sabled Sun - Inner Workings
Sabled Sun - Uplink
SiJ - Instantaneous
Sjellos - Awakening
Sjellos - Excavation
Sjellos - Life Left
Sjellos - Past Recognition
Sjellos - Struggling
Ugasanie - Abandoned Base
Ugasanie - Call of the North
Ugasanie - Cold Wasteland
Ugasanie - Endless Winter
Ugasanie - Freezing
Ugasanie - In Cold Arctic Winds
Ugasanie - Initiation
Ugasanie - Last Night
Ugasanie - Lonely Winter Hut
Ugasanie - My Mother-Beast
Ugasanie - North Breath
Ugasanie - Obfuscation
Ugasanie - On the Branches of the Sacred Larch
Ugasanie - Over the Tundra
Ugasanie - Pulsation
Ugasanie - Swamps Of Tunguska
Ugasanie - The Bodies Under The Snow
Ugasanie - The Taiga
Ugasanie - Ugasanie - White Silence - 04 Permafrost
Ugasanie - White Death
Ugasanie - Without the Sun
Uden - I
Xerxes The Dark - Omniscient

You mean renaming all tracks you want to use to track01, track02, track03 ... ? That's way too much work. There's a one click solution. Though I used to mod the randomizer you are talking about, to make use of the artist text. But really only useful if you need this. Involes way too much editing.

20 minutes ago, eviltechno said:

That's way too much work.

To create a mod you need a few seconds to edit LANGUAGE.txt and a couple of minutes to rename all files (just using ReNamer). And few more minutes to convert the tracks into one format and the desired quality (usually it is 3-5 minutes, depending on the quality and number of tracks). :D

7 hours ago, Doomenator said:

To create a mod you need a few seconds to edit LANGUAGE.txt and a couple of minutes to rename all files (just using ReNamer). And few more minutes to convert the tracks into one format and the desired quality (usually it is 3-5 minutes, depending on the quality and number of tracks). :D

Yea, probably not too much work for you and me. And also not for the OP. Just saying you can have this in less than 3 seconds with a random music converter, which does all that minus the track list notifier by itself ;) You just have to put music files of any format in one folder and hit the executable. But lets shorten things up. Heres the tool. Originally intended for doom4 music, but works with everything. https://www.moddb.com/mods/d4d-doom4-for-doom/addons/proj2music3pk

7 hours ago, Doomenator said:

I know about this thing. But there are no additional functions. )

Sure you do. Maybe it's usefull for others.

Just a small update to my Brutal doom 64 mutator, I added some stuff missing from super doom 64 like the darker palette, added the texture warp effect for the nightmare elemental, and added animations to the keycard doors and computer screens.

Updated llink is in the first post, and a small bonus, here's another 4 level wad generated with Obaddon and my addon:

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 8:40 PM, kipo said:

Hello, for me Brutal Doom 64 was awesome, but saddly after finishing the main game there was not much else to do. Playing the maps made for regular doom with brutal doom 64 assets was not much of an option since you'll be missing the new stuff like the nightmare imps, and it would be replaying the same doom maps after all. That is until I found the awesome addon for Oblige, called Obaddon, which makes Oblige generate levels with so much quality and customization, that I figured this would be the perfect way to finally play "new" maps/megawads for brutal doom 64.

So I made this mutator for brutal doom 64, and and addon for oblige/obaddon to be able to generate maps with the new brutal doom 64 monsters and some more. I'm sharing it in case somebody finds it useful.

My brutal doom 64 Mutator Features:
- Adds the new monsters from Project Nightmare (Nightmare Cacodemons, Nightmare Spectres, The Annihilator, all credits to Project Nightmare).
- Adds the new Outcast monsters plus some more (Nightcrawler, Acid Demon, Stalker, Nightmare Elemental, SMG Guy, all credits to the Doom 64 Absolution MP project by SFJake, I just gave them the brutal treatment and fancy effects, oh and the smg guy is my adaptation from the pulse rifle guy from the same project).
- Adds a new custom monster: BruiserN64 from SunMadcat (I just gave it the brutal doom 64 treatment and fancy effects).
- Adds Doom 64 textures, all thanks to the Super Doom 64 mod (from StrikerMan780 who did all the code for texture replacing in his mod).
- Adds "Reload" to the weapons in classical mode (not really like the tactical mode, more like the regular brutal doom, my own implementation).

My mutator is standalone, so you don't need brutal doom 64 files since they are all included.

My Oblige addon (you need this file for the new monsters to appear on the maps - you must enable the addon in oblige and also check the "BD64_2" tab):
- All these monsters can appear on the maps: Zombiemarine, NightmareImp, NightmareCacodemon, NightmareSpectre, Annihilator, Motherdemon, Nightcrawler, AcidDemon, Stalker, NightmareElemental, SMGGuy, Bruiser.
oblige addon link: https://sharemods.com/l6cwdkguf3gi/ObAddon_BD64v2.pk3.html

My advice when playing some brutal doom 64 with oblige is to use the Dark ambient music pack (https://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/alternate-dark-ambient-music-pack), to really set the doom 64 mood.

Note: if you don't know what Oblige or Obaddon is, follow this link: https://github.com/caligari87/ObAddon (if you don't want to invest too much time figuring out the Obbadon options, this is my config file: https://sharemods.com/dup1xa0v1ktk/CONFIG.txt.html)

EDIT:

As an example to jump right into the action, here is a 4 level wad generated from oblige with obaddon and my addon:

To play you only need my brutal doom 64 mutator and this wad for the levels.

EDIT2:

Updated mutator link with some updates, and as a bonus, here's another 4 level wad generated:

you mean this one ?

when you say it has been updated?

Yes, exactly, that one.  The link in the first post is already the updated one.

13 minutes ago, kipo said:

Liquids and splash effects look completely different, like pieces of different mods. You need to use only brutal liquid textures and effects, or the original liquid sd64 textures, or something else compatible with each other.

And if you want to add something really worthwhile, then make brightmaps for sd64 texture pack, because I was too lazy to do it.

2 hours ago, Doomenator said:

Liquids and splash effects look completely different, like pieces of different mods

Yeah they kinda are from different mods, the base is BD64 which has some cool liquids but others are missing, hence I added the missing ones from sd64 wich are really cool (and the fireblu effect from sd64 is amazing).  I left others out like the slime (or blood?) waterfall since it blends better with the stock one.  All in all I'm kinda satisfied with the result, unless there's an oversight on my part with some specific liquid and splash wich looks awful.

What I'm looking into now is adding flares/lights to existing textures, but this is proven to be very difficult.  I'm looping through all sectors/lines (zscript) and I can compare the texture id from there.  But the problem is the "block" of texture seems (I think) to be distributed among several lines, so I can't detect the textures on a per "block" basis.  By detecting the texture in the line, I cannot control where to spawn the flare actors relative to the "block" of texture needed.  I don't know if that makes sense at all.

48 minutes ago, kipo said:

Yeah they kinda are from different mods, the base is BD64 which has some cool liquids but others are missing, hence I added the missing ones from sd64 wich are really cool (and the fireblu effect from sd64 is amazing).  I left others out like the slime (or blood?) waterfall since it blends better with the stock one.  All in all I'm kinda satisfied with the result, unless there's an oversight on my part with some specific liquid and splash wich looks awful.

But it awful, especially the water looks like jelly. 

48 minutes ago, kipo said:

What I'm looking into now is adding flares/lights to existing textures, but this is proven to be very difficult.  I'm looping through all sectors/lines (zscript) and I can compare the texture id from there.  But the problem is the "block" of texture seems (I think) to be distributed among several lines, so I can't detect the textures on a per "block" basis.  By detecting the texture in the line, I cannot control where to spawn the flare actors relative to the "block" of texture needed.  I don't know if that makes sense at all.

Yes, it doesn't make sense at all.