Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrthejoshmon

Amalgamation, MAP01 Complete

Posted (edited)

https://www.mediafire.com/file/kp00nsjj2goc5d7/milit.zip/file

After years of off and on activity, I have finally finished 1 of 2 maps in a project that aims to amalgamate and tie together every failed, untouched or unfinished map I have ever attempted to make.

The idea was to take the carcasses of every abandoned wad and stick them together, attempting as best I can to sow them together in a way that makes sense (well sort of).

The first map is what I call the "conventional" set, these are levels that were, well, conventional in theme and setup (as apposed to the currently unfinished MAP02 which will cover the abstract settings), the themes strung together are:

- Hotel

- Water Resevoir

- Infested tech base

- Spider Mastermind Boss battle in a city

- Highly Unfinished Temple (like 1 room)

- Cavern filled with ancient Ruins

- A Castle in a Canyon

I have tried my best to balance and string together the encounters so hopefully it doesn't feel like a collection of map starts.

Important information:

MAP: MAP01

GAME: TNT.wad

COMPAT: Boom

Contains the textures for nighttime TNT levels, all rights ect go to the respective individuals please don't kill me Bethesda it isn't like you care about Final Doom anyway.

milit.zip

Cross posting:

http://doomer.boards.net/thread/1571/amalgamation-map01-finished

old WIP shots:

Screenshot_Doom_20190707_175247.png.cff202d9eb1b60dea5f8a460803cfeea.pngScreenshot_Doom_20190707_174854.png.a3c36b8d1ab576a44cc3c3fef8ce37b1.pngScreenshot_Doom_20191005_171834.png.72c71ca8ee34a624acc4b246f6104122.png

Edited by mrthejoshmon

Nice! I've been playing your cool Nova maps so it would be interesting to see how far you've come since then.

Thanks for taking the time to stitch these part together and upload the map, it was a good time. I played on UV and even though the monster placement etc. is not wildly unpredictable, I still found it challenging enough. I would say just right actually, I never felt so safe or overloaded with health items that the combat was easy. Maps where the player has to mark the location of health are interesting and help reinforce the playable space when the pickups are well balanced. For what work you did in that regard it didn't feel much like separate parts that were stitched together, I might not have guessed if I didn't know ahead of time. 

Standout sections to me were the starting area, the spider city and the castle part of the map. I've always thought there should've been more city maps in the Doom2 iwad so I'm biased, but this section had that feel for me. Good usage of height differences across the entire map as well. I would encourage you to explore more using the 3d space to it's fullest, with maps that fold in on themselves and non-linearity, but of course this is easier to do when you're not making a map from different pre-existing sections. I also took a brief look at map 02 in the editor, and the organic shapes you have in both maps and the layout so far of map2 are nicely done.

A few notes:

1. Some textures were missing from the file, immediately to left of the player start, and also anywhere in the map there seemed to be a waterfall.

2. I noticed this odd map30 switch texture placement. I wanted to point it out, it's also not tagged for anything.

Spoiler

P6Iw4MZ.png  

Very good sector built Doom Furniture™ in the map too hehe. I know sector furniture is a meme but here it actually is well done, and examples like the computer console in the spoilered screenshot above can have not only aesthetic, but tactical value as well. Overall it was a fun map and I can see the progress from a few of your earlier levels that I've played. Your item/monster placement and balance has always been on-point, and there is improvement here when it comes to gameplay and space vs.detailing.

Keep up the good work, I'll look forward to anything you might have in the future.

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed what you played, not sure how I will actually handle MAP02 but I'll get round to it.

Regarding the textures, did you use TNT.wad or Doom 2 (it was for TNT)? Those issues were non-existent for me so maybe my TNT is different or something (I do have a mega old TNT version so maybe there were newer ones I don't know about).

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed what you played, not sure how I will actually handle MAP02 but I'll get round to it.

Regarding the textures, did you use TNT.wad or Doom 2 (it was for TNT)? Those issues were non-existent for me so maybe my TNT is different or something (I do have a mega old TNT version so maybe there were newer ones I don't know about).

OH

I knew I missed something lol edit: I probably forgot to load the proper resource file when looking at the map in the editor or something.

I've had a fever the past few days I'll chalk it up to that. Plz disregard haha ^_^